Up the River Bork

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kruggov

Re: Up the River Bork

Post by Kruggov »

Replayed the first three scenarios.

The first was easy, except I didn't level Tirzag.

The second was miserable, with several "Gotcha!" moments. Especially when several drakes appeared within attack distance of villages where I had heavily damaged units healing - my inner "NOBODY DIES EVER IF I HAVE A SAY ABOUT IT" guy just died at that point. Later I was aftraid of elves hitting me in the back, and they did (though I managed to get an Avenger to fight against drakes rather than my units). Still, doing this with no casualties was rough.

The third scenario was smooth sailing, except for the Falcon vs Swamp Lizard fight - I had to RNG abuse like crazy to win. I know this is an easter egg, but maybe make the Swamp Lizard a bit more aggressive, so that you can lure it and not be forced to have a falcon 1v1 it.

Also, part of the message when I found the egg (the one where the falcon screeches) didn't appear because it requires there to be specifically a Falcon - and mine just advanced to Elder Falcon due to 1v1-ing a Swamp Lizard.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Kruggov wrote: August 27th, 2022, 4:46 pm The second was miserable, with several "Gotcha!" moments. Especially when several drakes appeared within attack distance of villages where I had heavily damaged units healing - my inner "NOBODY DIES EVER IF I HAVE A SAY ABOUT IT" guy just died at that point. Later I was aftraid of elves hitting me in the back, and they did (though I managed to get an Avenger to fight against drakes rather than my units). Still, doing this with no casualties was rough.
The elves/ merman should focus more on the drakes than you, i may need to make this more prominent though.
Kruggov wrote: August 27th, 2022, 4:46 pm The third scenario was smooth sailing, except for the Falcon vs Swamp Lizard fight - I had to RNG abuse like crazy to win. I know this is an easter egg, but maybe make the Swamp Lizard a bit more aggressive, so that you can lure it and not be forced to have a falcon 1v1 it.
Too easy? Or just smooth? I'll look into the falcon interaction, as well as the message.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Mirion147 wrote: August 27th, 2022, 5:31 pm The elves/ merman should focus more on the drakes than you, i may need to make this more prominent though.
TBH, when they can attack the player, and not the drakes, they will attack the player.
Mirion147 wrote: August 27th, 2022, 5:31 pm Too easy? Or just smooth? I'll look into the falcon interaction, as well as the message.
Just smooth.
Trolls had the western passage covered, I just had to periodically rotate the injured trolls so that they can regain HP.
Tirzag meanwile went to the secret passage in the center, and while there were a few close calls once I opened the passage, it was much less painful than in scenario 2 - having healers, a place to get your units out of danger, units in general being higher level and not being forced to deal with time of day helps make this a lot less painful. It still took some 10-15 turns to get through all the dwarves, but at no point did I feel miserable.
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Played through scenarios 4 and 5.

Scenario 4 was played stealthily. I had to redo the mission once (I sent Tirzag to capture a village on turn 1, so later on he ended up getting spotted by blue loyalist's army).
Does the event with an assassin have any purpose beside further establishing Tirzag as someone who hates poison?

Scenario 5 was annoying, but that's just my general annoyance with maps that use a lot of Frozen terrain. It's like Fire Emblem desert maps - a slog.

Also two more problems:
1) The purple Soulless leader was completely passive - he didn't do ANYTHING the entire map, even when I had Vitag right next to him.
2) Erl didn't appear. The event that would've involved Erl happened, but Erl himself didn't appear and all his lines were skipped. It appears he was not properly re-stored after his scenario 3 event. I'll attach a replay.
Attachments
UtRB-Them Running Dead replay 20220828-125803.gz
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Tested out my own fix to "Sir-Not-Appearing-When-He-Should" Erl and it worked - Erl appeared in scenario 5 as he should've.

Some notes regarding scenario 4:
1) Vitag mentioning Erl during the conversation with an assassin (and the assassin's response) should only happen if you met Erl in the first place. As it's set now, Vitag mentions Erl even if you never found him.
2) The Elvish forces were completely passive - the leader recruited a full keep of elves and they just stayed there.

As for scenario 5, it's an evil, evil "RUN THE XUK AWAY" scenario. I had to replay it several times before I realised that every regular orc I can recall is doomed to get bogged down and die fighting due to enemy getting free +1 move at night. Even after I got that and recalled only wolves, it took me many tries and a lot of RNG to get to the end - Tirzag's 5 move ass is not really conductive for escape scenarios, especially on maps like this one. By the end of the scenario I was about as frustrated as Tirzag ended up being.

Scenario 6 was a breather, and a much needed one considering the preceding mission. Immediate issue - Wolf Riders are not free like other units, and I also could not recall level 0 goblins (I guess because a script that made them cheaper to recall overrode the one that made them free to recall for this scenario). There was also a LUA error at the end, which I will attach. Apparently the error is the victory event failing to fire, which is why there are problems in scenario 7.

EDIT: I just noticed during scenario 7 that I didn't get the naga as recruitables, and could recruit two different versions of each unit, one that had a normal cost and another that cost 0 (except wolf riders, who cost 17 for both versions and troll whelps, where I only had 0-cost version). Also all units that were not recalled in scenario 6 keep their recall cost of 0.

EDIT 2: I also noticed that the troll whelps you normally get in scenario 4 cannot advance to Shrooman (only having regular troll/troll rocklobber advancements), but the 0-cost ones from scenario 6 can.
Attachments
Error.png
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Replayed scenario 6 with fixes of my own (only affected the victory event), and now recruitment in scenario 7 works as it should.

Problems with scenario 7:
1) "Unit-type "Revanant" doesn't exist". That's obviosly a typo in what types of units Scridge can recruit.
2) More important - all units retain not just 0-recall cost, but also hidden Loyal trait they got in scenario 6 - as such, there's no upkeep for any unit that was made before scenario 7.

I have an idea for a possible alternative way to handle upkeep in scenario 6, which hopefully won't affect the rest of the scenarios. I can PM it to you if you want, along with every other modification I did.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ooooof, that gold bug is going to be not fun to fix. So far, I've been able to fix the dialog bug in S3, the Erl message bug in S4, so that the elves would move in S4, the soulless leader not doing anything in S5, and I think I fixed the bug so that Erl shows up in S5, though I haven't tested that one yet. The welp not advancing to shrooman is what should happen, so I'll need to fix the recruit list on S6. You can message me whatever you'd like, I'm always open to assistance!

Thank you again for your continued testing/support. You're very appreciated!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

All the mentioned above bugs should be fixed, and 1 or two others that I found!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Got to scenario 8 and...

It seems you have a util from another scenario leaking into this one. Specifically the one that moves Tirzag to 23,22.

23,22 is right next to green orc's base. The results should speak for themself.

As long as this bug is up, I don't think the scenario is winnable. Though, Tirzag might be able to fight through the green orc's units... but something like this should not happen.
Attachments
Awkwarrrrd.png
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Lol oh my, how did that happen 😅
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Hello there! V0.3.2 is now available! Just a few small changes but it should be in a pretty good spot now! (A few updates have been made since I posted last here, but suffice to say that basically everything buggy, that I know of, is fixed.
Spoiler:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

'Ello Chum. V0.3.3 is now available. Decent bit of bug fixes!
Spoiler:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

And the rest of the fixes from Knight's playthrough are here! V0.3.4!
Spoiler:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

V0.3.5! You know what to do. I'm tired and don't feel like thinking up anything witty.
Spoiler:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

V0.3.6 Is out. I've added a mechanic which should ease S5 a bit. Not really worth an entire changelog thing lol.