Future of the game?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ElderDays

Future of the game?

Post by ElderDays »

I started playing Wesnoth a few years back and find myself coming back to it on a regular basis. I am curious though are there plans for continued development on the game? Not that the game isn’t already great and very playable, but I do see some room for improvement. Things like updated unit art and animations, new units and my personal dream a built in scenario editor would be welcome additions. Perhaps a Kickstarter or other form of crowd funding could be used to pay for some of the work that would need to be done. Anyway that’s my two cents.

Cheers!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Future of the game?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

ElderDays wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:56 pm I started playing Wesnoth a few years back and find myself coming back to it on a regular basis. I am curious though are there plans for continued development on the game? Not that the game isn’t already great and very playable, but I do see some room for improvement. Things like updated unit art and animations, new units and my personal dream a built in scenario editor would be welcome additions. Perhaps a Kickstarter or other form of crowd funding could be used to pay for some of the work that would need to be done. Anyway that’s my two cents.

Cheers!
There is a scenario-editor built-in into the Map Editor...you just have to...search! :lol:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ElderDays

Post by ElderDays »

Woot
ArthurMitchell

Post by ArthurMitchell »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: September 29th, 2022, 3:18 pm There is a scenario-editor built-in into the Map Editor...you just have to...search! :lol:
Yeah, it's accessed via "File -> New Scenario". You just need to read all the buttons and menus to find out how it works, no instructions included.
egallager

Post by egallager »

ElderDays wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:56 pm I started playing Wesnoth a few years back and find myself coming back to it on a regular basis. I am curious though are there plans for continued development on the game? Not that the game isn’t already great and very playable, but I do see some room for improvement. Things like updated unit art and animations, new units and my personal dream a built in scenario editor would be welcome additions. Perhaps a Kickstarter or other form of crowd funding could be used to pay for some of the work that would need to be done. Anyway that’s my two cents.

Cheers!
Note that there's a LiberaPay for the "other form of crowd funding": https://liberapay.com/Wesnoth
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Jane_Fox wrote: October 25th, 2022, 9:53 am I used to play Wesnoth and I really liked it, but now somehow the game has become boring, I hope there will be some new items
I have a different perspective. The new version features a new faction, new units such as new animals / monster with some awesome new portraits & animations, as well as cool new terrain as the new dungeon walls or the embellishment. I feel that with 1.16 there was more content than in other version improvements, but maybe I'm mistaken. Some add-ons might be gone, because they haven't been merged yet, but there are some cool new add-on such as Dream in the Sand and Frogfolk Delivery Service, which provide new fresh content. Moving to Steam was also a big step in the right direction, imho.

If Wesnoth had some steam achievements people would play more. Such as win a multiplayer game :lol:.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
matto

Post by matto »

If Wesnoth had some steam achievements people would play more. Such as win a multiplayer game :lol:.
XDDDDDDDDD
ElderDays wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:56 pm Perhaps a Kickstarter or other form of crowd funding could be used to pay for some of the work that would need to be done.
Anyway Crowd Funding is not a bad idea, tho i wonder if that option would be compatibile with wesnoth.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

An example of an open-source game that did crowdfunding was Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead. According to a YouTube video I watched, the person who was supposed to be hired to work on it disappeared when the crowdfunding campaign finished (not with the money) and someone else stepped into the "paid dev" role. So, better make sure whoever will be involved with the crowdfunding is committed and can be reached always.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

Here a couple of threads which may be relevant given your interest in the game's future: