Saurian sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Talentless

Re: Saurian sprites

Post by Talentless »

I've finished the Saurian Seer unit, which is the Lv3 Saurian Soothsayer upgrade. This time it truly concludes additional advancements of the official Saurian units, as I don't plan on adding any other alternative upgrades. The new unit is available in the 4.0.0 version of the Saurian Pack add-on.
saurians-v4.0.0.png
saurians-v4.0.0.png (298.82 KiB) Viewed 23007 times
4.0.0 version also includes fixes for the translations and modding support via resources. If you are a modder using these units, I encourage you to check out the modding guide. Cheers.

EDIT: Version 4.1.1 improves modding support even further. Saurian Pack modification will now be fully compatible with any add-on that includes the units as a resource (as a whole or by loading individual units).
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

I noticed a little bug (?). I can fix it myself but I'd rather not interfere in case a new version of the Saurian Pack fixes it. Basically, the idle animation does not account for facing directions - I set the leader to face south-west upon start, but it faces north-west instead. The attack animations seem to have the directions covered, but not the idle ones.
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

I'm using an official STANDING_ANIM_DIRECTIONAL_6_FRAME macro to define the idle frames, the same one that the mainline Saurians are using. Not sure if I can do anything about it, but you can try asking on the Discord if it's expected behavior.

If you do have a fix for this, feel free to contribute to the add-on on GitHub. It seems that the unit is defined correctly, the issue lies with the scenario config.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Talentless wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:25 am It's OK, I'm mostly reusing and adapting Augur animations. I quite like the hand raise animation. Here's what I've got so far. I don't think the spikes are necessary (see the Augur front sprite), I just want to make the poncho more cloth-like.
Has there been any progress on this? I'd love to have this unit for a campaign!
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

hunter_z wrote: September 20th, 2022, 7:32 pm
Talentless wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:25 am It's OK, I'm mostly reusing and adapting Augur animations. I quite like the hand raise animation. Here's what I've got so far. I don't think the spikes are necessary (see the Augur front sprite), I just want to make the poncho more cloth-like.
I got NE&SE idle, defend and magic frames mostly finished, as well as SE death. Magic animations are a bit clunky, since even the originals use only 2 frames and it's difficult to show smooth rapid movements. Never finished the running or NE death animations, and likely won't anytime soon. If anything, right now I'd like to contribute some upgrades to the mainline since they found their way into some likely-to-be official campaigns. However, I'm still waiting on review of the base sprites.

I'll attach what I have so far in terms of finished sprites and WIP .xcf Gimp files - maybe you'll find it useful.
Attachments
wip.zip
(542.59 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
shaman.zip
(369.85 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
3-experiments.png
3-experiments.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
3-warlock.png
3-warlock.png (12.5 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
2-witchdoctor.png
2-witchdoctor.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
1-shaman.png
1-shaman.png (11.58 KiB) Viewed 22692 times
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

They look good!! Though I'm going to have so many conflicting names in my saurian campaign, I already have a shaman and witchdoctor of my own.

What other magic-y names can they have? I have: devotee, foreteller, prophet, seer, shaman, oracular master, visionnaire, witchdoctor, plus the core game ones.

Not saying you should rename yours, I can rename mine instead, but I'm legitimately running out of things to call them, haha
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

hunter_z wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:23 pm I'm legitimately running out of things to call them
Not yet I don't think! A quick look in the thesaurus gives warlock, astrologer, clairvoyant, conjurer, enchanter, medium, occultist, and thaumaturge. Some of those sound pretty cool.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

beetlenaut wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:39 pm
hunter_z wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:23 pm I'm legitimately running out of things to call them
Not yet I don't think! A quick look in the thesaurus gives warlock, astrologer, clairvoyant, conjurer, enchanter, medium, occultist, and thaumaturge. Some of those sound pretty cool.
Gold! Thank you for these! Never heard the word "thaumaturge" before, even my spellchecker doesn't recognize it. :p
egallager

Post by egallager »

hunter_z wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 9:28 am
beetlenaut wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:39 pm
Gold! Thank you for these! Never heard the word "thaumaturge" before, even my spellchecker doesn't recognize it. :p
It's a class in the latest Xenoblade game; "thauma-" is a Greek prefix commonly used for magic things, and then "-turge" is as in "dramaturge"
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

There could be a librarian/scholar unit called a "thesaurus" ;)
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Dropping this guy here! Good stuff all around, saurians are a lot of fun.
Attachments
saurianflare.png
saurianflare.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 22269 times
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Amorphous wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:26 am Dropping this guy here! Good stuff all around, saurians are a lot of fun.
Wow! I want him animated!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Amorphous wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:26 am Dropping this guy here! Good stuff all around, saurians are a lot of fun.
Nice work! The saurian is going to attack with their claws rather than a spear.

From the looks of it, I imagine it doing more damage.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks y'all! Would love to animate him at some point, but no promises when that might happen. I was thinking he's some kind of berserker, maybe a level 2 so that his advancement can get more intimidating head webbing like a cobra. And for a fun bit of lore, let's say that the name comes from saurians misinterpreting drake flares not as those with the best leadership but instead as the biggest and angriest.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Talentless wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:22 pm
hunter_z wrote: September 20th, 2022, 7:32 pm
I got NE&SE idle, defend and magic frames mostly finished, as well as SE death. Magic animations are a bit clunky, since even the originals use only 2 frames and it's difficult to show smooth rapid movements. Never finished the running or NE death animations, and likely won't anytime soon. If anything, right now I'd like to contribute some upgrades to the mainline since they found their way into some likely-to-be official campaigns. However, I'm still waiting on review of the base sprites.

I'll attach what I have so far in terms of finished sprites and WIP .xcf Gimp files - maybe you'll find it useful.
Has there been any progress on these units' animations? I recently teamed up with @Refumee and we've been mass-animating saurian sprites, so if you have any frames for it made, you can share them and we can help with the rest! :) Same with .cfg files, I'm curious what you used to make it fire energy bolts.

The goal is a large and improved Saurian Pack with full animations on par with the core saurian units.