Questions about adding props and deco

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ElderDays

Questions about adding props and deco

Post by ElderDays »

I want to add some custom scenery to my maps. Things like stacks of barrels, statutes and weapon racks. My skills are a bit limited so I feel like I have two options; 1. Buy the art from a pre made asset site and try to get it to fit Wesnoth. 2. Commission an artist to make exactly what I want. I’d appreciate any feedback on these two options or any other advice.
winkr7

Re: Questions about adding props and deco

Post by winkr7 »

There is a thread on adding Wesnoth Fauna (by doofus-01), just a general upgrade to creatures for general use. I think it might be good to add something similar for scenery. I know I would like some extra barrels and statues.

yours
winkr7
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

ElderDays wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:52 pm 1. Buy the art from a pre made asset site and try to get it to fit Wesnoth.
I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but it sounds like this option is probably not a good idea, assuming you intend to publish your add-on on the official add-ons server.

The official add-ons server requires that all art be licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) or a Creative Commons (CC) license. If you're buying art from some asset site - you would need to read their exact terms to determine exactly what you're getting, but probably it would not include getting the art published under the GPL or a CC license.
ElderDays wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:52 pm 2. Commission an artist to make exactly what I want.
This option is probably OK, since if you're the one commissioning the art, then you get to decide what license the art will be published under. (You should probably mention ahead of time to the artist(s) that you intend to have the art published under the GPL or a CC license, so that they know and understand what your terms are.)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

You might look into Strange Legacy, I've added tons of scenery and new terrain, which could be used for scenery things too.
Here a little overview, but there are more things like this in the terrain folder of the add-on.
scenery.png
You should be able to use it, because they are partially self made, partially taken from other campaigns. So they should be all GPL. You can browse the details in the sources.txt. Some of the images are deprecated such as the doors, as this was made when the doors were not integrated into the game yet.

Feel free to use anything you find in there. I could even make a resource pack, just in case you are interested.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Heindal wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:48 pm You might look into Strange Legacy,

Feel free to use anything you find in there. I could even make a resource pack, just in case you are interested.
Heindal;
These look good to me and the png names are pretty consistent. For UMC a resource pack sounds good too.

yours
wink7