Add "Completions" to add-on server

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
lhybrideur

Add "Completions" to add-on server

Post by lhybrideur »

Hi everyone,
Here is my idea: adding a "Completions" (or a better name) columns right of "Downloads" on the add-on manager.
The goal would be to help filtering out buggy campaign (no completions) and find good campaigns (a lot of completions).
This would require adding a variable or a file in Wesnoth storing the campaigns that have been completed by the user (probably already exists considering the laurels).
One would need to find a way to only add 1 to the campaigns that have been completed since last connection to the server, but this could for example use a temporary file that would be read then deleted each time one connect to the server. One could also compare the username but this would mean less anonymity.

What do you think?
Attachments
Completions.png
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Add "Completions" to add-on server

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Please file a feature request at bugs.wesnoth.org
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Done.
I would still like some feedback from people though.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I think it's a good thing to suggest since it allows us to keep track of what add-ons one has played and would either play a second time or skip, but I think one problem is that it is exclusive to SP/MP/SPMP campaigns. Other add-ons are not considered such as factions/eras/MP scenarios/Mp map-packs. Thus, I think it would introduce a bias into the SP/MP content availability as in, making it look like devs favour SP campaigns over other types of add-ons.
The goal would be to help filtering out buggy campaign (no completions) and find good campaigns (a lot of completions).
I think this would go against fresh campaigns making their maiden flight on the server as they would fall into "no completions" too. In addition to this, some well-known campaigns would get a bloated popularity, as in players would just sample the most popular ones and ignore the rest which hampers UMC creator motivation. Weirdly, does the completion reset for each version of an add-on as some seem to go under daily patches?

The more thought I add into it, the more complex it becomes.

Since the issue has been open, I guess the devs can see it and comment on it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 12:55 pm I think it's a good thing to suggest since it allows us to keep track of what add-ons one has played and would either play a second time or skip
I am not sure I understand what you mean here.
Thus, I think it would introduce a bias into the SP/MP content availability as in, making it look like devs favour SP campaigns over other types of add-ons.
Why do you mean that? I totally agree that this feature is campaign (and maybe scenario) only, but I do not see it as favoring this type of content over the other ones. I think the field would simply be grayed out for other type of content
I think this would go against fresh campaigns making their maiden flight on the server as they would fall into "no completions" too. In addition to this, some well-known campaigns would get a bloated popularity, as in players would just sample the most popular ones and ignore the rest which hampers UMC creator motivation.
As it currently is for the Downloads column. Maybe instead of simply number of completion, it could show the percentage of completion over downloads?
Weirdly, does the completion reset for each version of an add-on as some seem to go under daily patches?
I think the behavior should be the same than for the Downloads column.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> I think this would go against fresh campaigns making their maiden flight on the server as they would fall into "no completions" too.

This could perhaps be solved indirectly e. g. via a special icon that indicates new-ish-ness, so people
are encouraged to look at it. E. g. the last 3 or so recent updates or something like that. A slight
visual indicator that is not too distracting or annoying. One could amend the suggestion a bit to
accomodate for the "get new players to help contribute to the game early on".

To the overall topic: I am all in favour of making the add-on server more useful. It did become more
useful actually, when I look at older wesnoth versions (or, at the least, I seem to remember that
there were fewer features in the past. Might be useful if we can have a "screenshot-progression"
to see how the interface changed over the years).