Assertion failed! on startup (Steam)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
CarLuva

Assertion failed! on startup (Steam)

Post by CarLuva »

Some time ago, I installed Wesnoth from Steam, and I recently tried to run it for the first time. Immediately after I start it, I get the error dialog in the attached image. I have tried using the "Verify integrity of game files" option in Steam, which indicated no errors; subsequently, I tried uninstalling and then re-downloading the game through Steam, but starting the game after re-installing yielded the same result. I also tried deleting the user data directory for this version of the game within Documents\My Games, which also did not affect the result. Finally, I tried specifying a "--data-dir" parameter with the path to the Wesnoth data directory in the Steam "Launch Options"; in this case, the error dialog does not appear, but the game still does not start.

Log file content is below:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.16.5 x86_64
Started on Fri Jul 29 18:14:44 2022

20220729 18:14:44 error filesystem: Failed to check existence of file D:\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth/data/_main.cfg: The parameter is incorrect
20220729 18:14:44 error filesystem: Failed to check existence of file D:/Steam/steamapps/common/wesnoth/data/_main.cfg: The parameter is incorrect

Data directory:               
User configuration directory: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.16
User data directory:          C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.16
Cache directory:              C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.16\cache
The path D:\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth is the correct path to the game data folder within my Steam library, and the _main.cfg file exists within the data subdirectory. Incidentally, I have an older, non-Steam version (1.8.6) of Wesnoth installed in a different location, which runs without issues.

Wesnoth version: 1.16.5 x86_64
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-29 180025.png
Screenshot 2022-07-29 180025.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Assertion failed! on startup (Steam)

Post by Pentarctagon »

You could try:
  • Uninstall Wesnoth.
  • Delete D:\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth if it still exists and has contents.
  • Reinstall Wesnoth.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
CarLuva

Post by CarLuva »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 30th, 2022, 1:13 am You could try:
  • Uninstall Wesnoth.
  • Delete D:\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth if it still exists and has contents.
  • Reinstall Wesnoth.
Thanks for the response. This is actually exactly what I already did. I tried it a second time, but this time I installed the game in a Steam library on a different drive, and that seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently this version of Wesnoth doesn't like my D: drive—it may have something to do with the fact that it's an old HDD that's still using FAT32 format. :whistle: Might be a bug, but probably not one that will affect many people these days!

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Wedge009
Developer

Post by Wedge009 »

Interesting. I presume the drive that lets Wesnoth work is NTFS? I wonder what it was about FAT32 that it didn't like - I don't see anything prohibitive about the path used for Wesnoth data in the original post.
Soli Deo Gloria
CarLuva

Post by CarLuva »

You are correct, the drive where it worked is an NTFS-formatted drive.

By the way, I love your signature. I actually use the exact same phrase in my email signature at work! :)