Saurian portraits (wip)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gluma

Saurian portraits (wip)

Post by Gluma »

Saurian portraits always felt kinda out of the game's style for me so I thought maybe I could try and make something on my own

I made some sketches for the skirmisher/flanker/ambusher line just to check what people think, and if it's at all needed

I usually draw in a different style than Wesnoth but with enough guidence I think I can mimic it

This is my first post here, I hope I got it right. All feedback welcome
Attachments
saurians.png
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Saurian portraits (wip)

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello Gluma,

Saurian portraits would be welcome. It's too early to say much, but the designs you have there do show potential.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gluma

Post by Gluma »

Does anyone know what those things are supposed to be?
Attachments
Neck thing
Neck thing
core$images$units$saurians$skirmisher$skirmisher.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi,
I assume they are the leather thongs on the current Skirmisher portrait.
These are magenta so that the colour will change to match the team (side) of the unit.
(So if the side the unit belongs to is blue, the thongs will be blue and so on.)

Unit sprite (zoomed in)
sssprite.png
sssprite.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
Unit portrait
ssport.png
ssport.png (88.78 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
Hope this helps/makes sense!

Cheers!
--Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
name

Post by name »

Maybe instead of the manlike V-form chest, give them a narrow chest and much stronger legs, like lizards and theropod dinosaurs have?
From the description it sounds like all their striking power comes from their legs:

"their powerful hind legs can drive a spear with enough force to do considerable damage, either in hand or thrown."

Also, maybe posture the tail higher and the upper body lower and more streamlined like the bipedal running Basilisk Lizard (or a theropod dinosaur).
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Really liking these! Just earlier today I said how it's a shame that saurians only have two total portraits, and they look a little outdated compared to the rest. Really looking forward to this!
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

Very nice! I like where this is headed. And I agree with Hunter, it's a shame that many saurian units are missing portraits, and the ones that are available are basically in a different style.

By the way, I've always liked the old saurian illustrations. Their style does not fit the mainline very well either, but I think the overall design is OK.
skimisher.png
skimisher.png (21.97 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
ambusher.png
ambusher.png (22.39 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
augur.png
augur.png (32.45 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
As a side note, I've just realized that the sketch-style illustrations would be very fitting for a bestiary. :)
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

^ Those would look pretty cool modernized. The poses are nice, but they lack detail compared to the new portraits.
Odium

Post by Odium »

I don't think even the poses look that great on those old one. The first one is holding its spear in a very odd way and the second one doesn't look menacing, more like a frog on a wall. I also personally am not a fan of their faces on these, and the two pikelizards are wearing what looks too close to roman infantry armors, not fit for them since they're supposed to be living in a very tribal society. The legs on the first one are nice tho.

But I love what Gluma posted ! Your sketches look very good, they seem to have accurate gear and it feels like you have the talent to make cool-looking Saurians, I think the leftmost one has the best pose.
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

I agree that the old ambusher isn't very good, but I quite like how the skirmisher and augur seem so inconspicuous. I wouldn't mind seeing a revamped augur illustration with a similar pose. But yeah, the sketches look more promising than the mainline illustrations, past or present.
Gluma

Post by Gluma »

Hey again everyone, thank you all for the feedback!

Took me a while to get back to this, would love to get some linework critique
Attachments
skirmisher.png
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

Very nice! My only note would be that the saurians seem to have only 3 fingers, and the skirmisher is munching on a worm in its iconic idle animations, so perhaps it would be nice to replace the fish with a worm. The overall proportions seem OK to my untrained eye.
Gluma

Post by Gluma »

Talentless wrote: August 20th, 2022, 5:54 pm Very nice! My only note would be that the saurians seem to have only 3 fingers, and the skirmisher is munching on a worm in its iconic idle animations, so perhaps it would be nice to replace the fish with a worm. The overall proportions seem OK to my untrained eye.
No idea how I mixed those up, I must have false memories. Thanks for pointing that out
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

That is absolutely amazing! Like a true upgrade for the original shirmisher portrait from the 2000s. Really hoping to see this in the mainline! Or at least in UMC, I'd love to use it myself if it doesn't make it into mainline!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That does look great. I'd leave out the fish/worm though, since it won't be appropriate for most dialogs. You could have it be a separate layer though, so it could still be added in some place like the help menu.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects