Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
UnwiseOwl

Re: Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Lower right of the pink box, or the whole picture? We're going to end up using one of the lizards, that's for sure. Them's some basses khampsa.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Lower right of the pink box, or the whole picture? We're going to end up using one of the lizards, that's for sure. Them's some basses khampsa.
This one:
lizard-pick.png
lizard-pick.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
To me it reads best, but that could be because of the stronger contrast
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Great work, Amorphous! I love the new, more aggressive stances!
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Arrr, I'm back.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I had a burst of inspiration today and made some meager progress. I'm trying to organize the Orcei some more, hence the intricate and beautifully crafted tree-diagram you see below (that is to say, sorry about the mess).

@Crow_T: You're right about the river lizard; the reason the uglier looking version is in the box instead of the refined one is because I had been going back and forth on the design. I realized after polishing the better lizard that it actually looked more like an arboreal species than an aquatic or amphibious one, so I was trying to come up with an alternative look. Obviously, not much luck there, so for now I'm sticking with original.

As for actual changes this time around, I mostly concentrated on the Pugnator line. Pulled up an old take on the Feral Best. from a while ago, and also tried giving the whole line some helmets. The Bestiarius's is the only one that looks half-decent atm, but hopefully I can get the rest up to scratch as well. I gave a shot at Essediarius as well (the fox-drawn Goblin chariot -- I love that concept so much. :D), and I think that's all.

Thoughts on the above?
Attachments
wiptree.png
wiptree.png (36.47 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The helmets are a big improvement, the top level 3 thing looks like it's on a good track. The fox-cart is also well done, and a kind of funny concept - it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey Amorphous,
I realise I've committed a grave injustice by going afk for a couple of years, and just when you were making such great progress with these orcs. I don't know if you're still around, but I figure a little feedback can't hurt anyway.

I like the new Pugnator, but I think keeping him helmetless would be good. I know that orc heads can be tricky, but I think then sticking the helmet on the level 2 Bestiarius looks incredible. I love this particular helmet style too, even though it doesn't feel very Roman it does feel very orcish, I love it.

The fox is perfect, but I think the chariot looks almost like a saddle rather than something travelling behind the fox. Still, real potential there, and I want that fox so badly. In comparison to the dogthing that we have now it's just incredible.

Finally, the lizard....yes, just yes.
I wish that I'd been around to encourage you on this one in particular. It's stunning. That poor little goblin is really letting it down!

Thanks for your work, UO.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Performing some thread necromancy here. I'm back to drawing in general and Wesnoth sprites in particular after a few years, so there's a decent chance I'll finish more of these old IE units. With Atreides' encouragement, I polished off the river lizard concept; next will either be his advancements or the Essedarius (fox chariot).
Attachments
riverlizard.png
riverlizard.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
gobboriders.png
gobboriders.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Oh hey! I remember this thread!

Thanks Amorphous, he looks great. Is there any chance of could I also trouble you for a version without a rider at all, please?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

No problem, and thanks! Glad to see you around. And absolutely, I'll whip up a rider-less version and post it here sometime soon.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Quick rider-less version of the lizard, and tiny revisions to the unit.
Attachments
riverlizard.png
riverlizard.png (14.14 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
riverlizard-riderless.png
riverlizard-riderless.png (14.07 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Some more work on our lizard-riding friends.
Attachments
lizardriders-wip.png
lizardriders-wip.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Playing around with some Issaelfr touch ups, everything still WIP, though the archers are getting pretty close.

Undecided about how much to push the designs, hence some of the minor variants. I think it would be cool to try and incorporate more inspiration from Inuit or other cold climate-dwelling cultures, e.g. fur caps for the archers instead of their woodsman hats, and maybe just more warm clothes in general (mittens?). Happy to hear thoughts on that and where these are currently. Oh and bonus Sidhe thrown in there too.
Attachments
elftreewip.png
elftreewip.png (37.28 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hi Amorphous,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been on break for a good while.

Lizards look great, I'll put them in the next release. Thanks so much!

As for the iceboys, I'd certainly love to see edits that make them more alpine and less generically Elfy where we can. I suspect we need greater colour variation between the different lines to help distinguish them, though. Certainly some cold-climate kind of ideas would be appropraite, but I think we're probably thinking more Scandinavian/Baltic rather than Inuit, since the whole era is loosely based on Classical Europe, but I'd love to see what you cook up.

Sidhe fighter is great! I think we want to avoid them having metal armour at all, but apart from that he's a winner.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

A way that I've found it useful to think about the Sidhe and Issaelfr thematically is that they were once both part of the same Elvish people (something like the mainline elves), so their designs should reflect that to some extent. The Issaelfr 'went native', adapting to the local environment, materials and interacting with the Marauders and Cavernei, whereas the Sidhe 'stayed pure', further developed their elemental and powers, seeking isolation preservation of their culture.