War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tarcil

Re: War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Post by Tarcil »

Happily picked this campaign up again. Its really entertaining with a good story and esp. a very fitting map size in general. The objectives are good and I didn´t found any big bugs for now. Looking forward to see the rest of te campaign.
Just a small note: Maybe you could let the player choose a few veteran units which stay behind with Turod at "Hold the Line" and lets say after turn 10 every turn they survive the longer the orcs need in the scenario after this?
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
Skat3maniac

Post by Skat3maniac »

Hi! i played your campaign in hard difficulty, actually played it all to the point where tudor is with the white wizard in one sitting. Good work i actually liked the campaign but heres some ups and downs for me: i think the one where elves are surrounded and you arrive there with the other general was cool when big armies clash together and you don't have to control them all, though it was very easy to reach the spot where you need to go. the hardest was probably in the beginning where you had to hold the castle from the thieves until the other general arrived,don't know if possible to kill the enemy leaders there but atleast very difficult in hard mode(even though didn't necesserily need to kill the leaders) lol. There i had to reset my round something like 15 times maybe. Overall i don't think this campaign was very difficult even in the hard difficulty. The story i actually liked, you managed to make the orcs seem like real threat and the scene where the boss orc kills the elven leader was badass. overall i don't think there was anything i really didn't like, made an account to write this keep up the good work! hope you'll see this
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Tarcil wrote: March 15th, 2022, 8:22 am Happily picked this campaign up again. Its really entertaining with a good story and esp. a very fitting map size in general. The objectives are good and I didn´t found any big bugs for now. Looking forward to see the rest of te campaign.
Well thanks for the appreciation, it does feel good :D
Tarcil wrote: March 15th, 2022, 8:22 am Just a small note: Maybe you could let the player choose a few veteran units which stay behind with Turod at "Hold the Line" and lets say after turn 10 every turn they survive the longer the orcs need in the scenario after this?
Thanks for the feedback.
For the veteran stuff, I might look into it (say, a la Invasion from the Unknown or something where you can only recall the first turn).
For the "they take more time to arrive", thanks for the validation. In other words, they already do :)
That being said, you obviously can't notice it from one run.
If you had noticed and it was actually a comment about a potential modification to the existing system, sorry I didn't get it.
Out of curiosity, how many turns did you hold there?
Skat3maniac wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm Hi! i played your campaign in hard difficulty, actually played it all to the point where tudor is with the white wizard in one sitting. Good work i actually liked the campaign but heres some ups and downs for me: i think the one where elves are surrounded and you arrive there with the other general was cool when big armies clash together and you don't have to control them all, though it was very easy to reach the spot where you need to go.
Thanks for the info, yeah, the balancing was done by making the enemies stronger, but that doesn't have that much of an impact if you manage to rush. Might add a few obstacles on hard.
Skat3maniac wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm the hardest was probably in the beginning where you had to hold the castle from the thieves until the other general arrived,don't know if possible to kill the enemy leaders there but atleast very difficult in hard mode(even though didn't necesserily need to kill the leaders) lol. There i had to reset my round something like 15 times maybe.
Killing the leaders is the objectives for the madmen of this game, I honestly can't do it on normal... (Though I'll take another pass at the money on this one).
Hard was made to be a "well you're good at the game, do better than the author" kind of setup though at times it's badly done.
Skat3maniac wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm The story i actually liked, you managed to make the orcs seem like real threat and the scene where the boss orc kills the elven leader was badass.
Why thanks :D
Skat3maniac wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm overall i don't think there was anything i really didn't like, made an account to write this keep up the good work! hope you'll see this
Well as you can see, I saw this :D
Dragging people on this forum and back in the game is the point.
This game is really dear to me and if I can give back to those who made it and kept it alive, well I'm gonna do it!

And now, instead of a double post:

Update time!

Added 4 scenarios (3 battles) that completed the "side arc".

Do tell if stuff is broken!
Author of War and Home and Knights of the Silver Spire, 1.16 campaigns.
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

The new scenarios worked fine and I still like the design of the campaign. Only some lore questions came up. Why on earth does the elvish mother gives her daughter to an no name humane brute the first time she sees him?? Racism anyone? ^^ Apart of this I really like the escape from the elvish kingdom and also the small scenario of searching for shelter.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Tarcil wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:10 am Only some lore questions came up. Why on earth does the elvish mother gives her daughter to an no name humane brute the first time she sees him?? Racism anyone?
To foster interspecies cooperation, as both my Star Trek upbringing and my United Nations of Earth Stellaris playthrough (which are my only actual playthroughs, I like roleplaying and I find myself unable to play anything other than "idealized America"...) would say.

More lore-wise, for the same reason that the horse guy and the elven noble go with the elves and humans respectively: basically liaison officers kind of job.

Also, if you want to actually know why the mother is so "prejudice-less", well, spoilers for stuff in "around" six scenarios (i.e., you'll find out anyway within four-five months):
Spoiler:
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

(Double post because update)

Alright, new update should be out right about now, version 0.5.0
The campaign should be slightly more than halfway done, I envision about 15 scenarios left at most (both battle and talk-only).

The update adds 3 scenarios, 2 battles and 1 talk-only, finishing the first part of the campaign.
I don't think I'll do the multiple-part method (I don't think I'll give an option to start a campaign at the beginning of the second half) because it'd be slightly more annoying to code and potentially far more annoying to balance.

Regarding the next steps, the nearest update should be adding the music and maybe some sprites.
Afterwards, I intend to work on another campaign (a short one, 8 scenarios long) during the summer so unknown how long until actual content but it should be at worst in September (doubt it'll be that far).

Do inform me if stuff is broken!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
According to the scenario objectives, losing the peasants should be totally fine, because they are after all not loyal units.

S2
Units that 'die' in this mock combat, are gone for good. Why? (Btw if one of you leaders dies, they are replaced with a lvl 1 version in the next scenario.)

S3
Still not really doable on hard.
chee

Post by chee »

I am currently working on a Japanese translation for 0.5.0.
I found 4 messages in the second scenario (02_A_Practice_Bout.cfg) that are excluded from translation (no '_').
When Merinyan and Oweomyr fall, each message is displayed in English. So, please address them. They are as follows
:350 message = "Aiiie!"
:354 message = "Merinyan is down."
:366 message = "How! This is impossible..."
:370 message = "Oweomyr is down."

It will take a while for the translation to be completed, but when it is, can I send it to you by DM?
Polskii

Post by Polskii »

This was absolutely amazing! I loved playing this and am super excited for more. Thanks for all your hard work, you make all of us having such a good experience and time possible. Keep on pushing on, but dont burn yourself out. Rest frequently. Otherwise I hope this summer treats you well.

(Also I took a serious bloody nose on that last 'not in vain' scenario! Rip several level 2s. You will be missed O7.)
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Konrad2 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:20 pm S1
According to the scenario objectives, losing the peasants should be totally fine, because they are after all not loyal units.
Should have written it out, now it is.
Konrad2 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:20 pm S2
Units that 'die' in this mock combat, are gone for good. Why? (Btw if one of you leaders dies, they are replaced with a lvl 1 version in the next scenario.)
For the unit's deaths: originally this was the first scenario, so they were most probably level 1 with no xp and thus not worth the coding to make them survive.
For the leaders, basically same principle (could be seen as a "they were hurt and had to recuperate so lost some time training").
Will fix in the next update (not this one), as it's more complex than adding underscores.
Konrad2 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:20 pm S3
Still not really doable on hard.
Understood, will try to see what I can do but that will also be for next update.
chee wrote: July 1st, 2022, 2:26 am I am currently working on a Japanese translation for 0.5.0.
I found 4 messages in the second scenario (02_A_Practice_Bout.cfg) that are excluded from translation (no '_').
When Merinyan and Oweomyr fall, each message is displayed in English. So, please address them. They are as follows
:350 message = "Aiiie!"
:354 message = "Merinyan is down."
:366 message = "How! This is impossible..."
:370 message = "Oweomyr is down."
Should be fixed in this update, actually found a few more as well, will do a more thorough check for next update.
chee wrote: July 1st, 2022, 2:26 am It will take a while for the translation to be completed, but when it is, can I send it to you by DM?
I'll be honest, I've got no idea how the DM function works on this forum (I actually thought there wasn't any) so posting it here directly would probably be easier for now.
Polskii wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 12:37 am This was absolutely amazing! I loved playing this and am super excited for more. Thanks for all your hard work, you make all of us having such a good experience and time possible. Keep on pushing on, but dont burn yourself out. Rest frequently. Otherwise I hope this summer treats you well.
Thanks, and regarding possible burnout, don't worry, this is the hobby, the fun.

Alright, apart from that a quick update should be out fixing the translation stuff and the objective (was uploading a smaller test campaign at the same time).

Later (in august) should be the update I actually intended for this moment (that other campaign took far too long, knights are actually horrible to balance around).
chee

Post by chee »

Hi.
A friend and I have been working on a ".mo" file for Japanese translation (for 0.5.1) and have completed it. There's 2 points We would like to know about the license. Please let me know.
First question:
The add-on "War and Home" itself comes with a text (ART_LICENSE.txt) that mentions graphic design-related licenses, but nothing else, so does that mean the main body of "War and Home" is in the public domain (PD)? If it is currently PD, is there any plan to change it to GPL in the future?

Second question:
We would very much like to send you a ".mo" file for Japanese translation, but we'd like to handle it under the GPL V2 (or later) license, just like wesnoth itself. If the add-on itself is PD, could you add a note about the ".mo" (or,and ".po") file in the body of the ART_LICENSE.txt file?
-------
chee / k.k
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

chee wrote: August 7th, 2022, 1:19 pm The add-on "War and Home" itself comes with a text (ART_LICENSE.txt) that mentions graphic design-related licenses, but nothing else, so does that mean the main body of "War and Home" is in the public domain (PD)? If it is currently PD, is there any plan to change it to GPL in the future?
In my understanding of the rules regarding uploading content, it is by default under the GNU GPL unless stated otherwise, which is why I added the art license as some of the work from the more recent versions of Wesnoth fall under CC-BY-SA 4.0.
Also, from my understanding of copyright, if the license wasn't specified it would probably fall under "All rights reserved" or equivalent, the furthest possible from public domain (I think that's how it'd work, again, I'm not a lawyer).

In any case, yes it was intended to fall under the GPL so I will check if I should include an explicit mention of this (from what I remember, when something was uploaded it fell under it automatically and had a copy of the license added to it).
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Alright, double-post time!

Update is out now, it uses Iris Morelle's "Elvish Avatar" sprite for the Winter Shyde (with attribution, obviously, and if I forgot to place it somewhere, do tell).

It adds a French translation and fixed some dialogue (double spaces and the like) and translation issues (files in the wrong textdomain...).

It also adds a warning, that this is the last version where old saves (pre 0.2.0) from the early scenarios might work and the GPL licensing is made explicit.

Finally, it also has the music.

For the people wishing to translate it, look on Wesnoth's website they explain how to do it (that's how I learned to do it).
For the people that have already started/done one, here is a changelog of what has been modified that's not immediately obvious and that you should probably take a look at (po marks would have to be updated every time while having to account for the fact a translation might be multiple versions behind so even if this isn't the best, it's probably the better option).
Translation Changelog
  • "I—I'm scared" : Modified the trailing dots to become periods, not commas.
  • "(<i>Talking to herself</i>) Let us hope he did not go" : Made more "distressed" (to make a burgeoning love clearer).
  • The rest should be either obvious (new string) or inconsequential (removed some trailing spaces that were messing up translation), but please keep an eye open in case I'm forgetting something.
If anything doesn't work or something, let me know.
Duncan_Shriek

Post by Duncan_Shriek »

S17: Fateful Reunion
Nitpick: The elvish lord and the elvish high lady came out of storage at start with 0 movement points
chee

Post by chee »

Hi, We have prepared po and mo file for Japanese translation based on the POT v.0.5.2.
I will upload it here.
We( "chee/k.k konami,k" & "yabuki" ) would appreciate it if you could add translation credits.
Thanks.
wesnoth-war_and_home-0.5.2.zip
po & mo files for Japanese translation
(95.56 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
-------
chee / k.k