Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.4

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kowalski88

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.3

Post by Kowalski88 »

Hi. Glad to see this mod is still in active development. I really enjoyed playing both the era and the campaign. Got this error while playing Runemasters on the most recent steam version of the game and the mod. If I recall it right, it was the T1 berserker unit triggering it, but I might well be mistaking.

small star image

On a side note, I've been wondering how much has two third of units having magic/precise attacks devalued terrain bonuses and positional warfare in practice? Is it still a significant factor in MP or is it less important than in vanilla?
dwarftough

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.1

Post by dwarftough »

Hi, just out of pure curiosity
IPS wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:47 pm - Javalineer fire resistance from -5% (was meant to be 0%) to +6% (six) (will take one less fire dmg from 10 heat dmg strikes if SIX)
why exactly 6? :D Why not 10? Like, resistances that are not multiples of 10 or 5 are very rare in Wesnoth eras
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

dwarftough wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:44 pm why exactly 6? :D Why not 10? Like, resistances that are not multiples of 10 or 5 are very rare in Wesnoth eras
Well, it's about how wesnoth rounds damage (according to IPS 6% resistance reduces a 10-damage attack's damage by 1 while 5% won't), IPS seems to like focusing on very specific interactions, for better or worse.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE + EoMa,Ogre Crusaders
My inactive add-ons: Tale of Alan (1.12),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13) (all add-ons no longer supported)
Co-creator of Era of Magic
IPS

Post by IPS »

dwarftough wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:44 pm Hi, just out of pure curiosity
IPS wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:47 pm - Javalineer fire resistance from -5% (was meant to be 0%) to +6% (six) (will take one less fire dmg from 10 heat dmg strikes if SIX)
why exactly 6? :D Why not 10? Like, resistances that are not multiples of 10 or 5 are very rare in Wesnoth eras
Well, as ForestDragon said, to work for more particular cases (like how rounding down one damage point at 8, 9 or 10 dmg). While 6% fire resistance looks weird, 10% is way too high for an unit that can level up almost as fast as Default swordsman to lv3. Kharosian Impaler and Javalineer is a curious line that is inspired by more defaultish criteria and being a good unit to get very early in lv3 in survival maps as it's strong enough but maybe not that much to over-kill a lv1 unit with all hits.

Other exceptions of rare 6-8% ish values are in Lv1 - Lv2 summoners and Elementalists and I can't remember that much if other cases.

Talking about RPG issues, well, it's not possible balancing lv3 and lv4 cyclops at having ONE BRUTAL strong magical attack, the nerf will not be defenetively enough to stop this unit to be TOP Damage Carry in almost any existing RPG mode or even Survivals with upgrades. So there will be more nerf.

And about the weird message error, it usually occurs when it's opponent's turn and there is an STUNED unit, it's just an ugly and inofensive bug.

Some other RPG adjustments

Cyclops Skeleton and all Advancements
- Magical Ressistance standarization to 0% arcane and 20% to cold/Fire
Hard damage DPS, giving other mages to have a chance againist this unit because of lowered magical ressistances.
This includes necromancer and all to lv4.

Omen and all Advancement
- All-Around will be replaced to +Triple-strike
- No-Counter-attack will be replaced to +Dread (33% less damage taken)
- Lv3 and Lv4 ressistances will be the same of Lv2
- Sword (Blade) +Skilled will be adjusted to +Marksman in Lv3 and Lv4
- Sword (pierce) +Precision is adjusted to +Skilled in Lv3 and Lv4
- Remove AwE on all advancements, because of being somewhat game broken in RPG.
Special's +Dread code already exists in ageless era.

Jungle Crossbowman
- Remove the weird UNTLB_range_ and UNTLB_type secondary attack

Dreadnought
- Ranged (Spear throw) will not have +Skilled anymore.

Twin Archer Toad
- Split-Fire attack adjusted from 11-2 to 10-1

Kirios
- Lv4 arcane resistance adjustment from 50% to 40%
- Lv4 Fire/Cold resistance adjustment from 40% to 35%
- Solar-bean attack attack adjustment from 17-2 to 15-1 but will maintain +beam special

Heavy Calvary
- Trample will have +Dread special.

Elemental Archer
- Fire Arrow damage adjustment from 12-2 to 10-2
- Ice Arrow damage adjusted from 8-2 to 6-2
This is considering the recent buffs that unit received, to balance it decreased some attacks damage in RPG

Mystical Archer
- Fire Arrow damage adjusted from 12-3 to 10-3
- Ice Arrow damage adjusted from 8-3 to 6-3
- Holy Arrow damage adjusted from 16-2 to 11-2
It has so many attacks, even one physical, reason why it's correct nerfing it, appart it has more ressistances recently.

Prophet of Light
- Blinding Light +Magical will be replaced to +Magical(offensive) in RPG.

Inspired
- in RPG, Sword will have +Magic-Counter
- in RPG, Bow (pierce) will have +Magic-Counter
- in RPG, HP from 36 to 48

This is another RPG update that rebalances RPG for a better.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Kowalski88 wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:19 am Got this error while playing Runemasters on the most recent steam version of the game and the mod. If I recall it right, it was the T1 berserker unit triggering it, but I might well be mistaking.
@Kowalski: Thanks for reporting. Do you still have the replay of that match? I'd like to see it.
IPS wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 12:55 am And about the weird message error, it usually occurs when it's opponent's turn and there is an STUNED unit, it's just an ugly and inofensive bug.
Well, a bug is a bug and should be fixed, even if it only clutters the in-game chat.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I added wesnoth.message("set var ".. tostring(key) .. " to " .. tostring(value)) before line 232, but did not figure out the condition to see it happen.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.4

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.9.4 is now available!

This update, similarly to 3.9.3, delivers another portion of RPG tweaks (by IPS) + some bugfixes.

Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.9.4
 ### Gameplay
	* disabled the 'awe' ability in RPG mode
 ### Units
	** Darkblood Alliance:
	 * Dreadnought (RPG): removed the 'skilled' weapon special from the 'spear throw' attack
	 * Twin Archer Toad (RPG): changed the 'Split Fire' attack damage from 11-2 to 10-1
	** Destroyers:
	 * Cyclops Skeleton (and all advancements) (RPG): set fire/cold resistance to 20%, set arcane resistance to 0%
	 * Omen (RPG): replaced the 'all-around' weapon special with 'triple strike'; replaced the 'no-counter' weapon special with 'dread'
	 * Punisher (RPG): replaced the 'all-around' weapon special with 'triple strike'; replaced the 'no-counter' weapon special with 'dread'
	 * Obliterator (RPG): replaced the 'all-around' weapon special with 'triple strike'; replaced the 'no-counter' weapon special with 'dread'; set resistances to match those of Punisher; replaced the 'skilled' weapon special with 'marksman' for the sword (blade) attack, replaced the 'precision' weapon special with 'skilled' for the sword (pierce) attack
	 * Abaddon (RPG): replaced the 'all-around' weapon special with 'triple strike'; replaced the 'no-counter' weapon special with 'dread'; set resistances to match those of Punisher; replaced the 'skilled' weapon special with 'marksman' for the sword (blade) attack, replaced the 'precision' weapon special with 'skilled' for the sword (pierce) attack
	** Kharos:
	 * Kirios (RPG): changed the arcane resistance from 50% to 40%; changed the fire and cold resistances from 40% to 35%; changed the 'solar beam' attack damage from 17-2 to 15-1
	 * Heavy Cavalry (RPG): added the 'dread' weapon special to the 'trample' attack
	 * Elemental Archer (RPG): changed the 'fire arrow' attack damage from 12-2 to 10-2; changed the 'ice arrow' attack damage from 8-2 to 6-2
	 * Mystical Archer (RPG): changed the 'fire arrow' attack damage from 12-3 to 10-3; changed the 'ice arrow' attack damage from 8-3 to 6-3; changed the 'holy arrow' attack damage from 16-2 to 11-2
	 * Prophet of Light (RPG): replaced the 'magical' weapon special with 'magical offensive' for the 'blinding light' attack
	 * Inspired (RPG): hitpoints from 36 to 48; added the 'magic counter' weapon special to the sword attack; added the 'magic counter' weapon special to the bow (pierce) attack
 ### Code
	* added missing RPG check for some weapon specials
	* fixed swapped contents of Saurian_Assassin_rpg.cfg and Jungle_Crossbowman_rpg.cfg
	* fixed UNTLB_ errors for Jungle Crossbowman
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi there, still viewing some aspects of lv2 and lv3 balancing pricing, it's actually quite hard to find stuff to improve their balance. But I guess I'm still finding some stuff and observations.

Still viewing certain units that are naturally weak to impact attacks to see if there was something worth to derease its price, but, seems that not much intervention can be done actually, appart of other few things.

Mystic Warriors and Sky Guardians don't need of any re-pricement because of the new weapon special in their melee, which even if not that strong, but in more specific situations it's quite worth it having it. Golem also don't need reprice because it really deals huge damage for a cost of 37g. Cosmic Eye some time ago got more impact weakness, which synergyzes with the fact of that many new units have high accuracy impact attacks. Master of Air used to be underpriced, but as more units got high acccuracy impact ranged attacks, this unit might be less strong in large randomly generated maps.

So , on Sky Kingdom's side, I would only decrease melee damage from lv3 Master mage from 9-2 to 8-2 and renaming it to "magic touch" instead of "light touch".

About another concern, hydras feel somewhat fragible in high leveled matches, this is mostly because of the fact that their base regen of +8 is more valuable in lower level but will not scale that much higher as unit grows up unlikely the damage it may take from stronger enemies and needing of more time to recover. Might not be a bad idea in increasing impact ressistance on higher level ups? will proposse.

Stridding machine and lv2 usually gives problems for tharis faction because of not having high fire/impact attacks, even considering that recently tharis got the Pain Mistress unit which at lv3 gives a significant impact melee boost in larger maps, still, will not fix this unit's issues in large maps ... but this unit is frequently abused in survival scenarios and is quite strong unit in Orocia gameplay, but I still think that the previous nerf of this unit was quite strong this time ... but needed. In my test, golem is a faster unit and usually will have the first engagement againist hydras, meaning that golem is not "that much countered" by hydra which can favour me to consider this buff.

About kharos, new waves of high accuracy impact ranged units impairs quite much the build that consisted in Silver/Gold warriors, that if strong Kharos don't have much options to consider in large maps, making them quite less versatile at large maps. I see no problem giving War Banners some more impact ressistance. Same can say of Lv3 recruiter.

About Summoners, people aren't considering that often Water Avatars or Water gods in their builds in survivals, they quite preffer spamming air elemtals/avatars or going for more regen stuff. Not talking about ressults, but I can consider of giving more impact res to lv2 and lv3 water avatar/gods.

Balance Conclutions
- Master mage melee from 9-2 to 8-2 , attack named from "Light touch" to "Magic Touch"
- Master of Elements melee rename to "Magic Touch"
- Water Avatar / God impact ressistance increase from 20% to 30%
- Lv2 and Lv3 Hydra impact ressistance from 10% to 20%
- Kharos war banner impact ressistance from 5% to 10%
- Grand Kharosian war banner impact ressistance from 10% to 15%
- Recruitment Officer impact ressistance from 10% to 20% (same as his other physical ressistances)
- Stridding machine / Dwarvish Tank fire resistance from -10% to -15% (so much bulk, quite painful to deal with, specially for tharis).
- Orcish Warbanner impact ressistance from 0% to 10% (quite impopular unit actually)

These new corrections are to protect some factional balance from new addition of high accuracy impact ranged. Will be looking later if anything else needs a slight modification, but this will be all for now.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Off-topic, found an issue with the Skill Circle of Susceptibility, screenshot talks by itself. While observing an Ageless Era game

It's known that units that debuffes ressistances troll so hard units that naturally depend on steadfast, but double fire weakness? lol , that needs to be reviewed :P
Attachments
EoMa bug.png
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I believe it is engine limitation. It will be most drastic if you find unit with 1% base resist.