Up the River Bork

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mirion147

Re: Up the River Bork

Post by Mirion147 »

Thank you Kruggov for trying the campaign out! Can I ask what difficulty you played on?

That's an interesting bug you found with Vitag. When did you notice that he was having these issues? He is definitely popping up for me. Could you upload your replay so I can look through what happened?

Ah yes, Erl. That is the question, isn't it?

Yea, trying to defeat a Warlord while you only have goblins to recruit is definitely a difficult task. But the goblins can be used by the thousands, so it is definitely achievable, just more difficult than if you had grunts under your command.

I've never heard of 2 dialog events occurring simultaneously, again, I would love to see the replay of how this displays.

And now we come down to it. I looked at everything regarding those LUA errors. They appear whenever a Piglet is spawned on the map. So I decided they were an error in the Piglet code and not my own.

Thank you again for playing! I will be looking into what you pointed out and seeing if I can replicate them, and hopefully fixing them!
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Mirion147 wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm Thank you Kruggov for trying the campaign out! Can I ask what difficulty you played on?
Hard. So far Ive only played the first scenario. I will hold off on playing any further at least until issues with Vitag are fixed, since I don't want to miss the story.
That's an interesting bug you found with Vitag. When did you notice that he was having these issues? He is definitely popping up for me. Could you upload your replay so I can look through what happened?
Immediately. I've noticed he lost the "essential" silver crown, he got killed a few times after that, so I noticed his death doesn't cause a game over anymore. The next scenario, he was not autorecalled, and all of his lines in the opening were skipped.
Yea, trying to defeat a Warlord while you only have goblins to recruit is definitely a difficult task. But the goblins can be used by the thousands, so it is definitely achievable, just more difficult than if you had grunts under your command.
I know zerg rushing him is an option, it's just that I believe there is a non-zero chance thaf the player will run out of goblins before the warlord runs out of health.
I've never heard of 2 dialog events occurring simultaneously, again, I would love to see the replay of how this displays.
I will upload the replay later. EDIT: Uploaded. It has the "10 Village" dialogue cut off.
And now we come down to it. I looked at everything regarding those LUA errors. They appear whenever a Piglet is spawned on the map. So I decided they were an error in the Piglet code and not my own.
Thankdully, those errors did't really affect anything. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of that.
Thank you again for playing! I will be looking into what you pointed out and seeing if I can replicate them, and hopefully fixing them!
Attachments
UtRB-Rise of the Pup replay 20220802-232533.gz
(25.24 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I've looked at everything and was able to fix the bug with Vitag and the bug with the dialog.

As for the error at the end, I was able to determine an odd interaction that is happening, but I haven't hammered down how to remove the error messages as of yet. As you mentioned though, they have no impact on the campaign (at least none that I've discovered so far.)

All that being said v0.3.0a is out! XD
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Restarted the first mission and on the first enemy turn, LUA errors happened. Specifically, when "Purple" enemies started moving.

EDIT: Also the Vitag issue have become WORSE - Now Vitag just becomes a generic, non-loyal wolf rider. The dialogue doesn't fire.
Attachments
Non-loyal Vitag.png
Non-loyal Vitag.png (76.13 KiB) Viewed 729 times
LUA.png
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ah, so I fixed the issue with the alpha the first time, but not the rest of the wolves. I have now also fixed that and uploaded it. as for the lua issues. I'm not sure why those occurred, I've never seen them before, and still haven't. Are you running on 1.16.5? The only other thing I can think of is that possibly another add-on is interfering. I have heard from other playtesters and they also have not had this error.
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Replayed the mission again and, whoa, one of the wolf riders I recruited procced the Loyal trait (and even had a short bit of dialogue about it). Unexpected :) I assume the trait has something like a 1/30 chance of proccing?

The Vitag issue appears to have been fixed (he successfully promoted to Wolf Rider, kept the "Essential" crown and Loyal trait, while also getting the Quick trait he's supposed to get).

I have seen two issues if Vitag defeats the alpha.
1) If Vitag defeats the alpha before you kill any of the wolves, you still get the "We shouldn't have killed the alpha, now we won't get wolf riders" dialogue, even though Vitag tamed the alpha, and you do get wolf riders.
1) If you defeat any of the wolves (triggering the dialogue that you still need the alpha), THEN have Vitag defeat the alpha, then you don't get wolf riders, even though you get the dialogue that he has tamed the alpha and that the wolf riders are trainable.

Of course, none of that happens if a generic goblin defeats the alpha - you get the usual dialogue that wolf riders are trainable, and the wolf riders do become trainable.

The village dialogue overlap was also fixed.

The LUA errors during my previous try were probably connected to the Cave Bear enemy that spawned during that time. Sadly, I cannot give the replay (once I saw how Vitag got mucked up, I dropped the try), but now there was no bear and no LUA errors during the mission itself, only during the ending.
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Completed the second scenario. I was so glad I leveled one of the goblins to Rouser in the first scenario - the little buggers pulled a lot of work in this one, probably more than they ever will for the rest of the campaign.

Liked the little skirmish between elves/mermen and drakes early. It slowed the drakes just enough for me to get the foot in the door and force the drakes to fight on frozen terrain later. What confused me is that you can get the elves to spawn again by standing on the big tree, is that supposed to happen?

One thing I didn't like about this mission is the "Gotcha!" moment at the end, when you kill the drake leader, and all of a sudden five level 2s pop out of the villages. Not cool, I had to redo the turn so that I won't get slaughtered on enemy phase, and even then it took some RNG abuse. And it was also morning, ugh.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Firstly, you're proving most helpful in discovering these bugs. Secondly, I wholeheartedly apologize for there to be so many for you to find XD. Hard mode is very under-tested and every bug you've pointed out for Scenario 1 is a hard mode bug only.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:25 pm Replayed the mission again and, whoa, one of the wolf riders I recruited procced the Loyal trait (and even had a short bit of dialogue about it). Unexpected :) I assume the trait has something like a 1/30 chance of proccing?
I don't remember the specific chance % but it is very low, but yea, it's there! I've gotten I think at most 4 in one scenario.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:25 pm The Vitag issue appears to have been fixed (he successfully promoted to Wolf Rider, kept the "Essential" crown and Loyal trait, while also getting the Quick trait he's supposed to get).
Yayyy lol, finally. I actually found a few other issues that I fixed along the way with this.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:25 pm I have seen two issues if Vitag defeats the alpha.
1) If Vitag defeats the alpha before you kill any of the wolves, you still get the "We shouldn't have killed the alpha, now we won't get wolf riders" dialogue, even though Vitag tamed the alpha, and you do get wolf riders.
1) If you defeat any of the wolves (triggering the dialogue that you still need the alpha), THEN have Vitag defeat the alpha, then you don't get wolf riders, even though you get the dialogue that he has tamed the alpha and that the wolf riders are trainable.

I can see that this would happen. I should be able to fix them easily. I assume you're able to continue without this impeding you though, since you played the second scenario? Either way, I look to have this fixed soon.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:25 pm The village dialogue overlap was also fixed.
Yayyy :)
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:25 pm The LUA errors during my previous try were probably connected to the Cave Bear enemy that spawned during that time. Sadly, I cannot give the replay (once I saw how Vitag got mucked up, I dropped the try), but now there was no bear and no LUA errors during the mission itself, only during the ending.
Interesting. Like I said, I've never gotten any errors from anything other than the piglet. I'll keep an eye out for it though. I double checked the code and didn't see anything that could be causing the issue though.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 7:08 pm Liked the little skirmish between elves/mermen and drakes early. It slowed the drakes just enough for me to get the foot in the door and force the drakes to fight on frozen terrain later. What confused me is that you can get the elves to spawn again by standing on the big tree, is that supposed to happen?
that's a bug. You can activate the elves early by going to the tree, but if you don't go there they should activate when the mermen arrive, but they should only activate one time regardless. I'll look into this.
Kruggov wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 7:08 pm One thing I didn't like about this mission is the "Gotcha!" moment at the end, when you kill the drake leader, and all of a sudden five level 2s pop out of the villages. Not cool, I had to redo the turn so that I won't get slaughtered on enemy phase, and even then it took some RNG abuse. And it was also morning, ugh.
This is another hard mode only event. There is a way to avoid it occurring, but it is to keep the player on their toes. I have heard both approval for this and disapproval. I did increase it to 5 instead of 4 but am willing to go back down to 4 if you think it's too much. I'm not eager to remove it completely though, I like to keep hard mode challenging, and having an occasional gotcha moment seems feasible as a medium for that. (I am, however, always open to alternative suggestions.)

I hope you're liking the campaign though! Again, I apologize about the bugs, but I greatly appreciate you pointing them out to me!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

And now we have V0.3.0c! Lol. So I fixed the bug with the cave bear (I think). and I fixed the issue with the wolf. There is still one interesting interaction there but I'm going to leave it in. I might add dialog for it to clear it up, but we'll see. It should be fairly non-noticeable.

I actually didn't mean for the mermen/elves to show up as soon as they did. So I changed it to my original plan. The way you described the scenario though it implied that this change my have made it impossible for you. I'm very much hoping that is not the case. I also fixed a bug where there were twice as many mermen showing up and the dialog was playing twice accidentally. And I fixed the bug where the elves could show up twice as well!
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Mirion147 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 1:24 am And now we have V0.3.0c! Lol. So I fixed the bug with the cave bear (I think). and I fixed the issue with the wolf. There is still one interesting interaction there but I'm going to leave it in. I might add dialog for it to clear it up, but we'll see. It should be fairly non-noticeable.
Nice, hopefully my reports helped.
I actually didn't mean for the mermen/elves to show up as soon as they did. So I changed it to my original plan. The way you described the scenario though it implied that this change my have made it impossible for you. I'm very much hoping that is not the case.
It wouldn't. I can instead force drakes to fight over a river. If anything, elves showing up later means they can hit the drakes in the back and do some notable damage, instead of being crushed in 3 turns like they originally were. So long as they don't appear after the drakes are gone, it shouldn't change much.
I also fixed a bug where there were twice as many mermen showing up and the dialog was playing twice accidentally. And I fixed the bug where the elves could show up twice as well!
Didn't see that one.
This is another hard mode only event. There is a way to avoid it occurring, but it is to keep the player on their toes.
Understandable. I did find a way to avoid it, but later triggered it anyway for extra EXP.
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Done the Scenario 3.

The Dwarf ambush early on was pretty funny, because dwarves all spawned in unwalkable terrain (two inside a wall, two in a chasm), so they were 90% dead at the hands of the trolls (90% because trolls cannot kill all the dwarves in one turn even when dwarves were on 0% defense). I guess the dwarves spawned there because the areas they were normally supposed to spawn in all got blocked by trolls.

If Vitag dies by falling down a pitfall, you don't get a game over. Same with Beltor. Most likely, same with Tirzag.

Dwarves in this scenario seem to have a really weird AI - they all go towards the area north of "secret passage" keep, and stay there, only attacking someone if they end up directly adjacent (rather than actively seeking out to attack). I'll send the replay so that you can see how that looks.

It's impossible to get Erl's event - the tile you need to enter (37,35) is a chasm, so none of available units can enter it.
Attachments
UtRB-Into the Dark replay 20220804-172133.gz
(39.51 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Why i make broken stuff? I have an idea for the dwarves, and obviously the 37,35 needs to be fixed lol. I'll try to get a fix out in a few hours. Thankfully, they shouldn't have too much on the overall campaign. And I'll look into the ai also, i tried using a micro ai for the dwarves, but I'll see what got mixed up.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Kruggov wrote: August 4th, 2022, 5:18 am Nice, hopefully my reports helped.
They have definitely helped! I very much appreciate it.
Kruggov wrote: August 4th, 2022, 2:23 pm The Dwarf ambush early on was pretty funny, because dwarves all spawned in unwalkable terrain (two inside a wall, two in a chasm), so they were 90% dead at the hands of the trolls (90% because trolls cannot kill all the dwarves in one turn even when dwarves were on 0% defense). I guess the dwarves spawned there because the areas they were normally supposed to spawn in all got blocked by trolls.
Got this fixed, just had them show up 1 turn earlier, so there shouldn't be anything in the way. I guess I could make a more in-depth workaround, but this should do it.
Kruggov wrote: August 4th, 2022, 2:23 pm If Vitag dies by falling down a pitfall, you don't get a game over. Same with Beltor. Most likely, same with Tirzag.

Dwarves in this scenario seem to have a really weird AI - they all go towards the area north of "secret passage" keep, and stay there, only attacking someone if they end up directly adjacent (rather than actively seeking out to attack). I'll send the replay so that you can see how that looks.

It's impossible to get Erl's event - the tile you need to enter (37,35) is a chasm, so none of available units can enter it.
fixed all these! and a few other bugs also, actually. Everything is uploaded!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was away from home for a week.

Played scenario 3. AI works as it should, and the event with Erl... attempted to fire.
It didn't because "Variable 'stored_erl' doesn't exist"
[censored]. This is on my end - apparently I played scenario 1 before you fixed the Erl interactions in it, so Erl didn't get stored, so I don't get him and any events with him now unless I replay the campaign from the start. Or unless I edit the files of the scenario to "create" Erl at the start of it, but that would be cheating.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Kruggov wrote: August 14th, 2022, 6:36 am Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was away from home for a week.
You're fine! No worries :).
Kruggov wrote: August 14th, 2022, 6:36 am Played scenario 3. AI works as it should, and the event with Erl... attempted to fire.
It didn't because "Variable 'stored_erl' doesn't exist"
[censored]. This is on my end - apparently I played scenario 1 before you fixed the Erl interactions in it, so Erl didn't get stored, so I don't get him and any events with him now unless I replay the campaign from the start. Or unless I edit the files of the scenario to "create" Erl at the start of it, but that would be cheating.
Playing without Erl won't drastically change things as he's an easter egg character, but I can tell you specifically what you're missing if you want the spoiler.

I realized it wasn't working and pushed the fix, at least there won't be any future playthroughs with this bug :| .

I can also send you a save for starting S4 with the Erl character integrated, if you'd like.