Roar of the Woses

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zerbugug
Translator

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by Zerbugug »

Chewan wrote:Uhm... only the last one? I really have to say: The whole campaign is an extraordinary challenge for me.
Yes they're all hard, but it's the first one where I lose several times in a row. The first time I sent some skirmishers across the rivers to divert a few enemies, but this proved pointless when the gryphons appeared. The second time I gathered my units south of the wall round the patch of snow, but my lines broke when the gryphons arrived (they really destroy saurians). The third time I tried to send everyone across the river. This is dumb, don't do it, you'll end up stuck between the gryphons and the blue and pink armies.

What I will try : (1) try to hold my ground to the south again, but with less saurians and more woses, and (2) recruits saurian casters and lots of fresh nagas, gather in the middle of the water.

Edit : tried (2). Played 35 turns so far and it looks like this will never end. All three enemies have enough income to support a constant flow of enemies. I can defend easily but don't think I'll be able to reach the dam with my naga army.
I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me. — R. Kipling
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Hello,

I have translated this campaign 100% to spanish language lately. It is a difficult but fun one. I played translated campaign
with version 1.11.16 of the game.

Three of the text strings i have translated dont have spanish text when playing the game because english text dont match in the .po file with that text in the game.

This is the place where i got the .po file (versión 1.12):

http://www.wesnoth.org/gettext/index.la ... e=&lang=es

These are the three strings:
Spoiler:
I suppose that manteiner have to generate a new .po file with the modificated text in it.

I changed original .po file in order to have a full translation (it was not difficult with only three strings) but it will be better if other translators can have the file fixed.

Thanks,

Pepe
----------------------------------
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Hello,

Here is spanish translation (100%).

I dont know if AI is lately active maintaining add-on translations.

Pepe
----------------------------------
Attachments
wesnoth-Roar_of_the_Woses.zip
(25.23 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I finally discovered why people kept mentioning that sometimes the enemy beat the player with no chance to respond in scenario 4 - it appears to require a quick troll, nothing else is able to make it in time and I just hadn't encountered one prior to this.

So, new upload:
No more trolls for the closer enemy in scenario 4, gets archers instead. Also, there is now a slight delay for both enemy sides on easy, though it may not be noticeable.
Half as many walking corpses in scenario 10.
A bit more gold for the enemy in scenario 5.
marat

Post by marat »

I wish you a good time.

Russian translation of campaign is ready. (100%)

+translation for BfW 1.12 (30.07.2015)
Attachments
wesnoth-Roar_of_the_Woses.7z
.MO+.PO for BfW 1.13 (30.07.2015) new
(29.54 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
wesnoth-Roar_of_the_Woses.7z
.PO for BfW 1.8 old
(25.47 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by marat on July 31st, 2015, 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loci

Post by Loci »

Thanks for the excellent campaign! The ice in the final level is pretty much an ideal battleground for woses (almost all other units defend equally poorly, and few can survive multiple wose hugs).
Alarantalara wrote: Has anyone used the Haruspex? If so, was it useful, or a waste of time? If no one likes it, I'll probably eventually remove it.
The sacrifice ability suffers from being another healing ability in a faction with ample healing, all better (a guaranteed +4 instead of an occasional +5). I would suggest changing sacrifice to drain nearby friendly units for a damage bonus on each attack--not only does this give the ability an interesting and unique flavor, it also synergizes well with the faction's ample healing.

For example, have the sacrifice ability drain 4 hitpoints from each adjacent ally and add the total to base damage for the attack. I'd also add bonus damage if the drain kills an adjacent unit (say, 8 damage). So, under ideal and almost entirely unachievable circumstances a Haruspex could slash for 60+ damage. In more practical usage, it'd be a 9-3 or 13-3 or 17-3 attack. The details can be adjusted for balance (but custom campaign units can be a little overpowered).
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

In response to Loci's comments on the Haruspex, I have three points to make. Firstly, the faction may have lots of healers, but the units have poor resistances and few hitpoints. You need lots of healing to survive. Secondly, the Haruspex is already good. Having a more powerful mage variant is very useful.

Thirdly, if I were offered the unit Loci is proposing, I would never get one: the chance of killing one of my own units by mistake, or getting one killed by draining it, is simply too large. I also contend that it is poor design to make a unit that can't safely stand near other units, and also poor design to make a low-HP, low-resists unit that is very deadly in melee and at range. Mages are glass cannons. If they're very bad at leaving melee attackers alive, then they'll be annihilated by kamikaze enemies.

I propose that the sacrifice ability instead be as follows: every time the attack hits, the attacker recovers hitpoints, exactly like the drain weapon special; and after every combat in which the attack hits within a single scenario, the base damage goes up by one. Thus, if the Haruspex fights five times in melee during a scenario and hits at least once in four of those fights, it will end the scenario with a 9-3 blade attack and start the next one back at 5-3. Alternatively, the base damage might go up by one permanently every time the haruspex kills with a knife. I don't recommend this option because it favours using the weaker attack mode and wastes experience points.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
The Orc leader arrives on 33,4 while his keep is at 32,2. And the human leader arrives at 16,3 while his keep is at 15,2.
Maybe move them again when the encampments have been set up?

S3
confidant -> confident

The Back Door
According to the objectives and his marker, Ignavius can now die. But when he did, I lost the scenario.
I suspect that this might be the case in the next scenario as well, and maybe for other units too.

In general, I feel like the water looks weird in the underground maps.

Replays
Spoiler:
Done with the campaign.
Attachments
RotW-Epilogue replay 20220203-012912.gz
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Alarantalara wrote: November 30th, 2014, 5:34 pm I finally discovered why people kept mentioning that sometimes the enemy beat the player with no chance to respond in scenario 4 - it appears to require a quick troll, nothing else is able to make it in time and I just hadn't encountered one prior to this.

So, new upload:
No more trolls for the closer enemy in scenario 4, gets archers instead. Also, there is now a slight delay for both enemy sides on easy, though it may not be noticeable.
Half as many walking corpses in scenario 10.
A bit more gold for the enemy in scenario 5.
I've discovered this campaign has recently returned after some years. So, right now, among the units Isarras can recruit, there also should be Naga Dirkfang and Naga Guard.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I looked at the two new naga lines when updating it and left it alone.
I definitely don't want to add the Naga Guard; they'd effectively function as a trap unit. Scenarios 3 and 4 both depend on the units having a minimum speed and taking the guard would make both harder. Further, the role of a tough impact unit is satisfied by Woses after that point, making them less useful.
The Naga Dirkfang is a possibility, but feels like a better unit than the basic warrior, especially at level 3. For only slightly less damage, you get both melee and ranged attacks. At level 3 they also add better defences and more health. This isn't a problem for the factions they're normally in, but would significantly change the balance and makes the existing units suffer from a comparison.
kikoun

Post by kikoun »

I discovered this campaign a little while ago.
I did the whole campaign until the last scenario but there I came to nothing
We need the woses to destroy the dam but they are very slow
So it takes very fast units to get on the ice in the middle of the dike and hold the position... but they almost all move very slowly on the ice
Has anyone managed to finish this campaign yet?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

kikoun wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 3:08 pm I discovered this campaign a little while ago.
I did the whole campaign until the last scenario but there I came to nothing
We need the woses to destroy the dam but they are very slow
So it takes very fast units to get on the ice in the middle of the dike and hold the position... but they almost all move very slowly on the ice
Has anyone managed to finish this campaign yet?
Konrad2 wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:45 pm Done with the campaign.
Yes, feel free to check the replays.
kikoun

Post by kikoun »

I searched for a long time but I couldn't find a replay for "roar of the woses", only "RotW-Epilogue"
kikoun

Post by kikoun »

I started again in "easy" mode, I succeeded in extremis...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

kikoun wrote: November 4th, 2023, 10:35 am I searched for a long time but I couldn't find a replay for "roar of the woses", only "RotW-Epilogue"
It's in the spoiler, as I uploaded a lot of scenarios. :)