Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Re: Loyalists

Post by aquileia »

Should I extract the defense frames from your gif? They're missing in the archive.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

I was planning on giving the defense animation one more pass to clean stuff up (the one frame still doesn't have shading on the sword for example); I'll attach the transparent frames then so you don't have to. :)

Doofus, Adamant, thanks! That's reassuring to hear.

Hoping to be back soon with more completed animations!
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Stopping in briefly to post a small update -- keyframes for the standing animation. It'll stop looking like he's sneezing or belly dancing after I add the in-betweens, I swear. In particular, the motion should look a lot more circular than it does right now. I've been using Sleepwalker's pixel wizardry with the dwarves as reference, so I can't go too far astray. (I hope.)

Next time I post, which should be soon, I'm planning on having the defend animation done and this one at least most of the way there. Sorry for the delay!
Attachments
standing1.gif
standing1.gif (5.26 KiB) Viewed 10849 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Actually, IMHO your previous defense animation looked more natural - I think the main difference is that his right foot slipped 2 pixels back in order to brace for the impact. Great that you're still working on animations, I'm really looking forward to seeing them in game!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think it's the start of a standing animation, aquileia.

Amorphous, maybe it will look better with the rest of the frames, but isn't that a lot of movement, especially for the shield? I figured a lot of the, well, dancing and heaving in other sprites came from the fact they were based on cut & slide, so can't do less than 1 pixel moves. If you are aiming higher, you could probably make more natural and subtle movement. :hmm:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Oops - Sorry, I should have read more carefully...

Well, in that case, maybe instead of toning down the shield movement you could replace it with a pure tilt? You already have the rotated versions from the attack animation, and the movement would still be noticeable while carrying less momentum. Reasoning:
If you hold your hand in front of you as if you were holding a shield handle, breathing means that the shoulder of your shield arm will rotate a little. Your hand will only move a tiny bit to the side, but the wrist will rotate a bit with it. Due to its shiny surface, I guess that rotation would be more noticeable to the viewer than the sideways movement.

It's just an idea though, it's your animation, so you can do whatever works for you.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thread necromancy time. Blocking out a clone of the Swordman's attack for the Royal Guard, also doing some minor edits of different versions of the baseframe (#3 being my preferred version so far).
Attachments
royalguard_baseframe_drafting.gif
royalguard_baseframe_drafting.gif (12.99 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
royalguardblock4.gif
royalguardblock4.gif (8.6 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There is a partially animated version already in 1.17, but those edits are subtle enough that it shouldn't be an issue to include them. I'm more inclined to tone down the cod-piece, like #1, just because these sprites necessarily have limited bandwidth for what's communicated, and that doesn't seem like the part we want to emphasize.

The attack animation is looking good so far.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects