1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: 1.16 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by white_haired_uncle »

JMichael wrote: June 30th, 2022, 2:03 am I don't click "End Turn", the turn just seems to end: either I get dumped into a skirmish, or I get to move again.
Okay, I checked. It is ending the turn for you, so as long as you don't have autosaves set to 0, it should be saving the game for you. However, if you go to a skirmish and then come back to the world map it will start numbering the autosave files at 1, overwriting the old ones. So if you want to save a game that you know you can come back to, use ctrl-s and give it a unique name that won't be overwritten.
JMichael

Post by JMichael »

Is it just the luck of the draw whether the enemy gets a turn before I do in a skirmish?

Most of the time, the skirmish opens with me sitting quietly, admiring how outnumbered I am. Occasionally, a skirmish opens with me getting beaten on, usually resulting in the death of one of my units.

Am I really supposed to be able to control my Marching Order enough to control the way my troops are arranged at the opening of a skirmish?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Where are you in the campaign? And what difficulty?

Balancing these things isn't straightforward; usually skirmishes are pretty easy, a chance to prep for the real battles/scenarios instead of replaying earlier scenarios. The ghosts are annoying (intentionally, up to a point), and the endgame enemies can be pretty tough (or too easy), but the orcs should just be slightly dangerous punching-bags for most of the campaign. The elves probably do need more balancing, it would be nice to get some feedback on that.

And yes, getting ambushed is random. Some sort of modifier to reduce it was in the plans, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
JMichael

Post by JMichael »

BMR2-World Map, or BMR2-Skirmish, Difficulty: Normal

After a few dozen attempts at Rescue, I thought I should wander the wilderness a while to build up gold and experience. Unfortunately, somewhere on the way to experience, I lost all my gold. I have yet to see an Elf.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You won't see an elf until you are in their territory, much later. Not sure what to say about the gold, it should be pretty easy to build it up at least a little. I'd suggest that maybe you had too high upkeep, but I think that's hard to do that early in the campaign. Possibly it's a bug, but something so basic has been tested a lot, and I've never seen the gold just disappear.

The only other thing I can think is that the skirmish scenarios do depend on what terrain type you were on in the world map, so maybe it will be easier if you avoid hills or forests.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
JMichael

Post by JMichael »

I'm sorry, I was being whimsical. What I meant was, I thought I was accumulating gold early on, but I wasn't making much progress promoting units. Between having promoted units, and stalling at the end of a skirmish to heal my units, the upkeep costs ate my gold reserve.

As for avoiding hills and forests, having one time provoked an encounter with the cavalry, I've been hiding in the woods ever since. Since I plan to return to Rescue, I don't want to wander too far away. Maybe that's yet another unfortunate choice on my part.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh, got it. In that case, it might help to wander in the snow - the enemies should be weaker than in the forest and the cavalry only goes after you if you're on the road. You can also go back to the starting village to buy/sell equipment, if that's relevant.
kele17

Re: 1.16 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising - translation

Post by kele17 »

Hi,
Are you interested in a translation?
I made the original Hungarian translation some years ago. Eric found me to revise/translate his maintained campagn 'A new order'. Now i had some time and also revised yours. (With the Archaic Era too)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi kele17,

Sure, that would be great! I haven't thought about translations recently, possibly I need to set something up differently, so let me know if you run into any trouble.

Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.17.0 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.17 server. This is the first upload to the upcoming new Wesnoth version. Most of the changes were related to deprecation, but there is a new help system dialogue. If anyone has suggestions on what would be more helpful in that dialog, please let me know.
Help System Example
Screenshot_20230813_.jpg
Star_of_Hope

Post by Star_of_Hope »

On the scenario "snowblind", the game lags and sometimes crashes when the orcs take their turn. I'm not sure why, appreciate help.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What version (BfW and BMR), and do you have a save-file you can post?

Thanks
Star_of_Hope

Post by Star_of_Hope »

Wesnoth version 1.16.9, bad moon rising version 1.16.4. XP bank modification enabled. Thanks.
Attachments
BMR3-Snowblind replay 20231021-172402.zip
(154 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, I'll look into this.
Star_of_Hope wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 3:21 am XP bank modification enabled.
This may or may not cause issues, so if there are no alternatives, you could try disabling that.
Star_of_Hope

Post by Star_of_Hope »

Thanks for the support. Another question, someone also mentioned that Belleros doesn't heal, so should the skull ring be avoided next playthrough?