Finally saying goodbye to Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Finally saying goodbye to Wesnoth

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey everyone!

It has been quite some time since I last posted on this forum. But since I don't quite wanted to vanish without saying a word, I thought I might just say goodbye officially.
Wesnoth has had a huge impact on my life. I still remember the first time I saw the game, playing it on my friends compter when we were maybe 10-11 years old. That must have been somewhere around 2005? Once I got my father to install it i became quite obsessed with it. I remember having played every umc campaign on the 1.8, 1.10 and 1.12 add-on server.

Once a young teenager I started to dabble in WML myself which resulted in a modification and a half finished campaign. That was actually the first time I tried my hand at coding and it has really impacted my life. Nowadays I am working on my Masters degree in Computer Science and have a student job as java developer and honestly, this would not have happened if it wasn't for wesnoth.

In the last few years, I tried multiple times to interupt my wesbreak, with varying success but it never lasted.
I might have moved on to other things now, but wesnoth will always be a big part of my life. So I just wanted to thank you all.
Everybody who worked on Wesnoth, everbody who wrote an add-on, anybody who helped me with my WML problems, everybody who gave feedback and generally anybody who ist part of this amazing community, you guys are awesome! Thank you all for being here.

Regarding my two add-ons:
Obviously I will always regret not having finished Dawn of Thunder. I think it is pretty obvious that I bit off a bit more than I could chew when I started it. And its not like I had more than a rough idea on how to end it when I wrote it. User Egallager has already done a lot of maintenance/support on dawn of thunder. So if he is interested i would like to transfer "ownership" of the add-on to him. Feel free to finish the campaign however you like if you care, mate. :)

As for Unitmarkers, I am still confident that it is a useful addition to the game to have, so if anybody wants to port it to newer versions of the game, please feel free. I know obviously that nobody needs my permission to use the code/assets of my add-ons but i am going to grant it anyway.

So I guess that's it. I feel a bit melancholic now, but I guess change is just a part of life.

Thank you everybody

Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Finally saying goodbye to Wesnoth

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hey,

Take care and wish you all the success with life!
Thank you for being part of the community.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thank you for having been part of the Wesnoth community! I wish you all the best, especially with your academic career.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Good bye. Wish you success in your life
egallager

Post by egallager »

Paulomat4 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:20 pm Obviously I will always regret not having finished Dawn of Thunder. I think it is pretty obvious that I bit off a bit more than I could chew when I started it. And its not like I had more than a rough idea on how to end it when I wrote it. User Egallager has already done a lot of maintenance/support on dawn of thunder. So if he is interested i would like to transfer "ownership" of the add-on to him. Feel free to finish the campaign however you like if you care, mate. :)
Hi, thanks! Yes, I think I would be interested in adding it to my list of maintained add-ons, although this will probably be the last one I'll have mental bandwidth for; I've kind of got a lot of them at the moment... I'll probably just focus on porting it to the 1.16 add-on server and fixing bugs with it first before I make any attempts at finishing it... Anyways, thank you for your contributions to the Wesnoth community, and good luck with your other endeavors!
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

People come back too, so perhaps it is just a break. I for one am still semi-idling to power! Soon I may be the oldest account on the webforum *cackles like a squirrel giggles*

Others may eventually improve on your prior contribution in regards to the campaigns, so the future will show. Perhaps we need some good changelogs to indicate which campaigns were rescued and prosper as a consequence of "under new management".

Iris also wrote something along the lines - wonder whether this is some wave of fatigue.
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Paulomat4 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:20 pm Obviously I will always regret not having finished Dawn of Thunder. I think it is pretty obvious that I bit off a bit more than I could chew when I started it. And its not like I had more than a rough idea on how to end it when I wrote it. User Egallager has already done a lot of maintenance/support on dawn of thunder. So if he is interested i would like to transfer "ownership" of the add-on to him. Feel free to finish the campaign however you like if you care, mate. :)
Hi, thanks! Yes, I think I would be interested in adding it to my list of maintained add-ons, although this will probably be the last one I'll have mental bandwidth for; I've kind of got a lot of them at the moment... I'll probably just focus on porting it to the 1.16 add-on server and fixing bugs with it first before I make any attempts at finishing it...
So... about that transfer of ownership... How much longer should I wait for that _server.pbl before just writing my own?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

egallager wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:37 pm
egallager wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Hi, thanks! Yes, I think I would be interested in adding it to my list of maintained add-ons, although this will probably be the last one I'll have mental bandwidth for; I've kind of got a lot of them at the moment... I'll probably just focus on porting it to the 1.16 add-on server and fixing bugs with it first before I make any attempts at finishing it...
So... about that transfer of ownership... How much longer should I wait for that _server.pbl before just writing my own?
Given the procedure of handling abandoned add-ons, you can write your own now. The campaign has been declared abandoned and the you are offered the new maintainership, so nothing's barring you from making a new PBL file or asking for the passphrase of the previous one from the addons-admin.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:42 pm
egallager wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:37 pm So... about that transfer of ownership... How much longer should I wait for that _server.pbl before just writing my own?
Given the procedure of handling abandoned add-ons, you can write your own now. The campaign has been declared abandoned and the you are offered the new maintainership, so nothing's barring you from making a new PBL file or asking for the passphrase of the previous one from the addons-admin.
Who's an addons-admin that I could ask?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

egallager wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:56 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:42 pm
egallager wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:37 pm So... about that transfer of ownership... How much longer should I wait for that _server.pbl before just writing my own?
Who's an addons-admin that I could ask?
Soliton/Iris
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For right now, just Soliton.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager