Unto Others - A call for participants to play a research scenario

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OctarineSourcerer

Unto Others - A call for participants to play a research scenario

Post by OctarineSourcerer »

Hi all!

I'm a human-computer interaction researcher looking into the expectations that players have of AI in strategy games, among a few other things. One of the things I'm looking into is suspense/tension, and for that purpose I've made a scenario to play through, and a questionnaire to fill out afterwards. And as in all research, participants are always deeply needed. So: If anyone would like to take 30 minutes out of their day to play through the scenario and answer the questionnaire, I'd be more than grateful.

The add-on is called Unto Others, published by Dan Gomme. It should be visible on the regular add-on server.

I've aimed to at least not have it be tedious, so it should be slightly fun to play too :) Let me know if anything goes awry or you'd like to know something.

Thank you, and best of luck in all things,
Dan

EDIT: A link to said questionnaire, for after completing the scenario :) https://bit.ly/invest-q
Will add the QR code tomorrow morning.
Last edited by OctarineSourcerer on July 4th, 2022, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shevegen

Re: Unto Others - A call for participants to play a research scenario

Post by shevegen »

Hmm. I think many people will miss that note here or forget (right now I can not play the scenario due to conflicting schedules). Might be
nice if the scenario could be advertised somehow or so, or highlighted for some time within the add-ons interface.
OctarineSourcerer

That's pretty much what's happened so far since release, hence this post for a little bit of visibility :) I suspect if add-ons could be highlighted for some time in the interface, it'd get quite messy with the sheer amount of add-ons that'd like that spotlight.

I'm trying a few other things too, but we'll see how things go!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

OctarineSourcerer wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:16 pm Hi all!

I'm a human-computer interaction researcher looking into the expectations that players have of AI in strategy games, among a few other things. One of the things I'm looking into is suspense/tension, and for that purpose I've made a scenario to play through, and a questionnaire to fill out afterwards. And as in all research, participants are always deeply needed. So: If anyone would like to take 30 minutes out of their day to play through the scenario and answer the questionnaire, I'd be more than grateful.

The add-on is called Unto Others, published by Dan Gomme. It should be visible on the regular add-on server.

I've aimed to at least not have it be tedious, so it should be slightly fun to play too :) Let me know if anything goes awry or you'd like to know something.

Dan
I think your mistake was assuming players would actually "type" the URL link you gave. This is why you hardly got any survey responses. Unless, it's copy-paste-able or clickable, people won't do it. They would just play the scenario as is...look at the ending message and say "Not clickable, not gonna do it." or "Cannot copy-paste it all, so not important". Another pointer, you did not link the survey in this campaign's feedback forum thread either.

One suggestion for you:
Convert the survey URL link to a "QR Code" and add it as the image= of the [message]. That way, people who have smartphones can easily scan and fill the survey on phone. Much more approachable and better UX. This has been done in other UMC content already (in the epilogue) and feedback collection has improved (even if slightly).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

As already mentioned, you should really add the link to the first post of this thread.
OctarineSourcerer

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:14 am
OctarineSourcerer wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:16 pm Hi all!

Dan
I think your mistake was assuming players would actually "type" the URL link you gave. This is why you hardly got any survey responses. Unless, it's copy-paste-able or clickable, people won't do it. They would just play the scenario as is...look at the ending message and say "Not clickable, not gonna do it." or "Cannot copy-paste it all, so not important". Another pointer, you did not link the survey in this campaign's feedback forum thread either.

One suggestion for you:
Convert the survey URL link to a "QR Code" and add it as the image= of the [message]. That way, people who have smartphones can easily scan and fill the survey on phone. Much more approachable and better UX. This has been done in other UMC content already (in the epilogue) and feedback collection has improved (even if slightly).
I'd been starting to consider something like a QR code at this point. With that being suggested too, I think I'll make that change, thank you :) Glad to hear feedback had improved a little too
OctarineSourcerer

lhybrideur wrote: July 4th, 2022, 3:07 pm As already mentioned, you should really add the link to the first post of this thread.
Added, cheers. I'd been hoping that the much-shortened URL would make it easier for people to make that leap, alas. QR code it shall have to be.
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, it looks like the URL for this thread is already in the "Website" field for this add-on in the add-on manager? Were people requesting a link suggesting that it be put somewhere else, too?
view of this add-on in the add-on manager
view of this add-on in the add-on manager
OctarineSourcerer

egallager wrote: July 4th, 2022, 4:26 pm So, it looks like the URL for this thread is already in the "Website" field for this add-on in the add-on manager? Were people requesting a link suggesting that it be put somewhere else, too?
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 12.24.43.png
That's the forum thread I had been using for feedback during development of the add-on itself (and remains in case anyone finds bugs should they come across the scenario through the add-on manager), though I've now added the questionnaire there too.

Sidenote: The scenario should now have a functioning QR code as part of the final messages.