Legends of Idaamub

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lhybrideur

Re: Legends of Idaamub

Post by lhybrideur »

Legends of Idaamub is fully tested on 1.16.
I can now resume the writing of Chapter 4.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

I am intrigued by your food system, lhybrideur. Makes your campaign interesting. I haven't played it yet, but now I intend to do so soon.

I voted for:
Buy food in cities : no food mean you cannot continue your journey
I suggest using this for EASY mode. Yes, I understand it will make coding more difficult to have multiple food options simultaneously. I have ideas of game-play quality and features that are very hard to produce (sometimes). Linking these does not seem too difficult for me personally, I have been working with WML since BfW 8. (BfW: Battle for Wesnoth. Sorry if this offends anyone. It took me the longest time to figure out what BfW meant.) So if you want my assistance I would be happy to help. (Fingers send note to brain ^_^ : think of finishing this message! Stop thinking of ways to code this for him! :) )
And
Buy food in cities and find some on enemies : no food = -10 hp/turn. -1 food at the beginning of each scenario
This sounds like hard mode to me. Some players might balk at this option. If you don't want such a hard time coding, and the campaign is not INTERMEDIATE or HARD level, I believe the previous option is better.
Maybe consider turn and unit count based food consumption? (Sorry, my challenging-to-code game-play feature ideas appearing again.)

All told, I think this is a very interesting idea and I look forward to playing with it!
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:09 am
Hi Dragon-Friend,
thank you very much for your feedback.
Let me try to summarize your idea and start to think about an implementation of your idea.

In all modes, you would have to buy the food in villages (but maybe you can also loot some on enemies).
In easy mode, no food means you simply cannot proceed to next scenario. But in hard mode you could, but you would loose 10 hp per turn. What about normal mode?

I do not think this would be too hard to implement. I would just need to use some #ifdef EASY/HARD on objectives, end_level conditions and on a harm_unit event.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

I was just working on a WML magic point system for my brother, which is very similar to this idea. Now I will formulate a breakdown of this food system.

Ways to get food:
Buy from cities/villages
Since I haven't played your campaign yet I don't know if it has city/village scenarios. If PLAYER can buy food from any village on the map, then gaining food seems too easy.

By looting enemies
This would be my personal choice in game. (Thus saving gold on food.) But again I don't know if your campaign has scenarios similar to Under the Burning Suns scenario Across the Harsh Sands. This option would be impractical if a scenario had "Defeat all enemy leaders" as the main objective. For these reasons this option should be limited to non-essential enemies. (if it is even included.) Like a bonus for defeating a band of scorpions or an enemy leader when player had a "Survive until turn X" objective. Allowing this depends on the campaign style.

Ways to lose food
By scenario
If PLAYER has options in how many scenarios he plays between chances to get food then this option is plausible. Otherwise when he runs out of food, he will have to load the last scenario he could by food at and buy more. Replay until I have enough food, not fun. So I think if you use this option then PLAYER should get a hint of some kind as to how many scenarios worth of food he will need to reach the next city/village.

By turns
This was entirely my suggestion. With this option PLAYER will need to decide whether he wants to prolong a scenario or save food for the next scenario. Basically a secondary turn limit. If this is used, there it should probably be accompanied by high turn counts. Thus if PLAYER wants, then he can lounge in his favorite scenario longer than would normally be permitted.

By active unit count per turn
This would further limit player options. He would be required to choose between using less troops or less turns. Between spending gold on food, or saving gold for recruit/recall.

Lack of food punishments
Cannot continue to next scenario
If enemies cannot be looted, this punishment is probably very bad. Mitigating 'return to last city save' is a possibility, but not one I would choose to try.

Lose gold and some units
Could use this instead of Cannot continue to next scenario. PLAYER loses some gold and code randomly (or specifically) stores some of his recalls during START event. When the scenario ends the stored units return with food.

-10 hp per turn
Dehydration in Under the Burning Suns is only -4 hp per turn, so you should probably use a number less than 10. Units should be freed from this loss in villages and when adjacent to healers. I used a marching formation in Across the Harsh Sands to prevent my unit's dehydration, but lack of food would not be limited by time of day. If player has many healers he could be mitigate this. I think this is the best punishment I can think of at the moment. Something the player can mitigate or prevent depending on his choices. If units die as a result of lack of food alone (no enemy intervention), player might rebel, so I think that possibility should be ignored, or only used once to inform player of his danger. [kill] animate=yes

Finally for each difficulty I think:
[*] EASY
Ways to get food: Buy from cities/villages maybe if applicable By looting enemies
Ways to lose food By turns
Lack of food punishments lesser -10 hp per turn without kill or Lose gold and some units

[*]NORMAL
Ways to get food: Buy from cities/villages maybe if applicable By looting enemies
Ways to lose food By turns or By active unit count per turn
Lack of food punishments -10 hp per turn without kill

[*]HARD
Ways to get food: Buy from cities/villages plus less chances for By looting enemies?
Ways to lose food By active unit count per turn
Lack of food punishments -10 hp per turn

Finally this will need more feedback than just mine and a lot of balancing. I will probably be able to help more after playing your campaign.
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

As you write in the end, maybe playing the campaign will help you think about how to implement that.
Dragon-Friend wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 10:42 pm
Ways to get food:
Buy from cities/villages
Since I haven't played your campaign yet I don't know if it has city/village scenarios. If PLAYER can buy food from any village on the map, then gaining food seems too easy.
There are indeed cities scenario as well as some merchants in some scenarios, so no need to worry about that.
I was thinking of having food really cheap in EASY and more expensive in HARD. What do you think?
By looting enemies
This would be my personal choice in game. (Thus saving gold on food.) But again I don't know if your campaign has scenarios similar to Under the Burning Suns scenario Across the Harsh Sands. This option would be impractical if a scenario had "Defeat all enemy leaders" as the main objective. For these reasons this option should be limited to non-essential enemies. (if it is even included.) Like a bonus for defeating a band of scorpions or an enemy leader when player had a "Survive until turn X" objective. Allowing this depends on the campaign style.
There is a loot system in the campaign, so it would simply be one kind of loot.

Maybe I can also have 1 food on the map in EASY in each scenario?
Ways to lose food
By scenario
If PLAYER has options in how many scenarios he plays between chances to get food then this option is plausible. Otherwise when he runs out of food, he will have to load the last scenario he could by food at and buy more. Replay until I have enough food, not fun. So I think if you use this option then PLAYER should get a hint of some kind as to how many scenarios worth of food he will need to reach the next city/village.
At the moment, I have roughly 6-7 scenarios in between buy-points, but you also need to consider the probability of dropping some.
I think requiring to have 5 food before leaving should be enough.
By turns
This was entirely my suggestion. With this option PLAYER will need to decide whether he wants to prolong a scenario or save food for the next scenario. Basically a secondary turn limit. If this is used, there it should probably be accompanied by high turn counts. Thus if PLAYER wants, then he can lounge in his favorite scenario longer than would normally be permitted.
The problem I see with that is that many scenarios are already quite long (100 turns) and turn-limit tight if you want to explore them fully.
You would also need a secondary counter, so that you do not have to check in the menu too often. But I do not know how to had that.
This would further limit player options. He would be required to choose between using less troops or less turns. Between spending gold on food, or saving gold for recruit/recall.
Probably even more frustrating than previous option. And impossible to play without a visible food counter
Lack of food punishments
If enemies cannot be looted, this punishment is probably very bad. Mitigating 'return to last city save' is a possibility, but not one I would choose to try.
I would only do that in scenarios where you can buy food. See higher up.
Lose gold and some units
Could use this instead of Cannot continue to next scenario. PLAYER loses some gold and code randomly (or specifically) stores some of his recalls during START event. When the scenario ends the stored units return with food.
This could be done I think. Not my favorite solution though.
-10 hp per turn
Dehydration in Under the Burning Suns is only -4 hp per turn, so you should probably use a number less than 10. Units should be freed from this loss in villages and when adjacent to healers. I used a marching formation in Across the Harsh Sands to prevent my unit's dehydration, but lack of food would not be limited by time of day. If player has many healers he could be mitigate this. I think this is the best punishment I can think of at the moment. Something the player can mitigate or prevent depending on his choices. If units die as a result of lack of food alone (no enemy intervention), player might rebel, so I think that possibility should be ignored, or only used once to inform player of his danger. [kill] animate=yes
Yes 10 is probably a bit too much :lol: 4 is probably fine.
But as you say under, maybe this can be tuned with the difficulty level. Maybe for in NORMAL and 8 in HARD?
And I would also not make units die from hunger. This would be too damageable to the player.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

lhybrideur wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:44 am As you write in the end, maybe playing the campaign will help you think about how to implement that.
Dragon-Friend wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 10:42 pm
Ways to get food:
Buy from cities/villages
There are indeed cities scenario as well as some merchants in some scenarios, so no need to worry about that.
I was thinking of having food really cheap in EASY and more expensive in HARD. What do you think?
By looting enemies
There is a loot system in the campaign, so it would simply be one kind of loot.

Ways to lose food
By scenario
At the moment, I have roughly 6-7 scenarios in between buy-points, but you also need to consider the probability of dropping some.
By turns
The problem I see with that is that many scenarios are already quite long (100 turns) and turn-limit tight if you want to explore them fully.
You would also need a secondary counter, so that you do not have to check in the menu too often. But I do not know how to had that.
Probably even more frustrating than previous option. And impossible to play without a visible food counter
Lack of food punishments
I would only do that in scenarios where you can buy food. See higher up.
Lose gold and some units
-10 hp per turn
But as you say under, maybe this can be tuned with the difficulty level. Maybe for in NORMAL and 8 in HARD?
And I would also not make units die from hunger. This would be too damageable to the player.
I suggest checking out RPG adventure addon by PapaSmurgReloaded. The RPG scenarios have a food, water, and fatigue system in place which variate while exploring the map and penalties are given if they go below negatives.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I will have a look at it when I have some time to play.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Edit: I had a look at it, and I think this is too much more than what I intended to implement.
I think a more simple system with only food, and only a scenario-based counter, should be enough
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

I am sorry I didn't post yesterday. I was busy and used my free time to start you campaign instead of posting. However, now I am back!

Ok first I want to bring a few typos to your attention lhybrideur. In the campaign description
But, in the shadows, a dark presence pull the strings. Travel through Idaamub to prevent it from falling into the chaos.
"a dark presence" is a singular subject but you use the "pull" as the predicate, which is singular. It should be "pulls". Also "chaos" is a state of being, not a noun, so it shouldn't be modified by "the". Sorry if this is too technical or I sound like I am condescending, but I have been reading a grammar book lately to help me fix the lousy grammar I used to write my campaigns. :oops:
Spoiler:
You asked in an earlier post to inform you of how many turns it took to play your scenarios. I played in EASY mode for speed. Here are my current counts:
Spoiler:
Code wise, since my BfW 1.15 (My Linux' YaST doesn't seem to have BfW 1.16.) kept spitting errors about your (seemingly) excessive use of [modify_unit] to change Io's profile (a tag it said was not defined.) I am wondering why you coded so many. Using Image= in a [message] or setting Wait now I get it. Io levels up and then his profile is changed. :annoyed: Maybe use a [event] name=post advance? it will save some lines.

Now back to the former topic of food. Since I began the campaign, I have become familiar with its general style. This lowers the number of possibilities. Plus, instead of my own ideas, I have the intention of the author:
lhybrideur wrote:
I think a more simple system with only food, and only a scenario-based counter, should be enough
So
Ways to get food:
Buy from cities/villages
lhybrideur wrote:
I think that is a good idea but not really cheap, maybe... Whatever we choose now will need to be balanced later, so this is actually unnecessary at the moment. Another note on this would be can you buy 5 food at each village or do you also need to have picked some up before? Or do you need to find an alternate method of getting food in a village? (see below.)

By looting enemies
lhybrideur wrote:
Unless you lose more than 1 food a scenario, having food as loot and automatically placed on map is overkill.

By completing in city/village quest
Not RPG style, maybe something like answering a riddle, completing a puzzle, make a shady deal with a thief or maybe giving someone in town something instead of selling it.

Ways to lose food
By scenario
lhybrideur wrote:
Agreed, unless you need more than 1 food a scenario.

By turns
lhybrideur wrote:
I know a way, but I also agree this idea was not well suited to your campaign. It also was not what you wanted, entirely my own invention.

By active unit count per turn Yes this option could easily frustrate the player.

Lack of food punishments
Ok I think at this point we have decided to use this option. PLAYER will need 5 food to leave a city scenario. So I wrote the code for this barrier. (if you want a more complicated version that changes color when achieved let me know.)
[objective]
description= _ "Collect 5 food.
You have $food food."
condition=win
[/objective]

This code assumes that the variable food is PLAYER's current food count. Whenever he checks the scenario objectives, this variable will display his current food count.

Lose gold and some units (probably not)
lhybrideur wrote:
When I lose recruit options, losing some units to go back for food is not appealing at all. If you implement this at all, then it should be an emergency option only.

-10 hp per turn
lhybrideur wrote:
I agree for not killing units now that I understand the campaign style. Every unit is precious.
As for damage value, 8 is poison and it is very debilitating, even for units with high hitpoint counts. Since PLAYER can easily lose access to White Mages through loss of the Scholar line, having as little as 1 scenario to train mages, having the HP penalty be low is a good idea I think. Maybe 2 in EASY, 3/4 in NORMAL, and 4-6 in HARD?

Finally I was thinking today that maybe food could be carried by a cart like gold in The Sceptre of Fire's A Bargain is Struck. Do you think that is a good idea?
EDIT: Wow, I certainly do write big posts don't I.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hi Dragon-Friend,
thanks your very much for playing my campaign.
I am always happy to receive some proofreading as English is not my mother tongue.
Dragon-Friend wrote: June 24th, 2022, 10:06 pm Today, the crypt is believed impassable (Really? "impassable" means unable-to-get-through. Did you mean something else maybe?) and most of the burials are celebrated in the cemeteries situated around the entrance of the crypt."
I have no idea what would be the correct word in English. I mean that you cannot go through it. Uncrossable ? Impassable?
The_Bridge_to_Zei: My replay corrupted due to a bug in Dugi's code
The Crypt of the Sacred Blood: Same bug corrupted my replay
Do you please still have the error code? Maybe it is a problem at the interface btw my code and Dugi's.
BTW, if you still have the save, I would be interested in watching the replay. You can even post them in the UMC Replay forum if you want.
Code wise, since my BfW 1.15 (My Linux' YaST doesn't seem to have BfW 1.16.) kept spitting errors about your (seemingly) excessive use of [modify_unit] to change Io's profile (a tag it said was not defined.) I am wondering why you coded so many. Using Image= in a [message] or setting Wait now I get it. Io levels up and then his profile is changed. :annoyed: Maybe use a [event] name=post advance? it will save some lines.
Nice catch. It seems profile does not exist anymore in 1.15/16.
I removed the lines since they are not needed anymore (I use an object in scenario 1 now).
Now back to the former topic of food. Since I began the campaign, I have become familiar with its general style. This lowers the number of possibilities. Plus, instead of my own ideas, I have the intention of the author:
lhybrideur wrote:
So
Ways to get food:
Buy from cities/villages
lhybrideur wrote:
I think that is a good idea but not really cheap, maybe... Whatever we choose now will need to be balanced later, so this is actually unnecessary at the moment. Another note on this would be can you buy 5 food at each village or do you also need to have picked some up before? Or do you need to find an alternate method of getting food in a village? (see below.)
Actually, when I said cities/villages, I meant in city/village scenarios.
By completing in city/village quest
Not RPG style, maybe something like answering a riddle, completing a puzzle, make a shady deal with a thief or maybe giving someone in town something instead of selling it.
I like the idea. I already have some quests in city scenarios so that could be a nice way for the player to get food.
-10 hp per turn
lhybrideur wrote:
I agree for not killing units now that I understand the campaign style. Every unit is precious.
As for damage value, 8 is poison and it is very debilitating, even for units with high hitpoint counts. Since PLAYER can easily lose access to White Mages through loss of the Scholar line, having as little as 1 scenario to train mages, having the HP penalty be low is a good idea I think. Maybe 2 in EASY, 3/4 in NORMAL, and 4-6 in HARD?
What about 0/2/4? Because requiring food to leave city scenarios is already supposed to prevent lack of food in EASY.
Finally I was thinking today that maybe food could be carried by a cart like gold in The Sceptre of Fire's A Bargain is Struck. Do you think that is a good idea?
Would this mean that you would loose your food if you loose the cart?

Would you like me to upload the update now, or do you want to finish playing the campaign and I would then push the update?
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

lhybrideur wrote: ^ July 4th, 2022, 2:43 am
Dragon-Friend wrote: June 24th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Today, the crypt is believed impassable (Really? "impassable" means unable-to-get-through. Did you mean something else maybe?) and most of the burials are celebrated in the cemeteries situated around the entrance of the crypt."
I have no idea what would be the correct word in English. I mean that you cannot go through it. Uncrossable? Impassable?
Ouch, my vocabulary is being rummaged looking for a word. My problem with the sentence was that it seemed to read: you cannot enter the crypt, but burials are held inside the crypt in cemeteries near entrance. Hmm...
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language Fourth Edition
Impassable: Impossible to pass, cross, or overcome.
Hmm... You used the right word, it just seems to be a bit too extreme.
Maybe the line should point out that the cemeteries are outside? Because I envisioned the crypt similar to my idea of the catacombs under Rome. I thought, 'The entryway and the newer tombs are safe, but the center is too scary and dangerous.' Okay now I know what to ask that will allow me to understand properly. What makes people believe the crypt is impassable? Was there a cave in? Ghosts? Undead? Curses? Prophesies of doom upon entry?
Spoiler:
lhybrideur wrote: ^
Do you please still have the error code? Maybe it is a problem at the interface btw my code and Dugi's.
BTW, if you still have the save, I would be interested in watching the replay.
Yes, I have the save, no it is not an interface problem.
LoI-The Crypt of the Sacred Blood replay.gz
(88.23 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Play a LotI scenario, give someone a potion, then check the potion item storage. You will have the option to drop the previously used potion to the ground. It's a bug and cheat at the same time. I have infinite healing potions, because every time I use one, I can just drop it to the ground and pick it up for later use.
Actually, when I said cities/villages, I meant in city/village scenarios.
City/village scenarios or cities/villages in worldmap scenarios, I understood you meant city/village scenarios.
What about 0/2/4? Because requiring food to leave city scenarios is already supposed to prevent lack of food in EASY.
This I say you should upload first. Regardless of how much time we spend negotiating, it is almost certain to be adjusted later on in the development. Also if you upload first, then I can see the effects on my units when I play.
Would this mean that you would loose your food if you loose the cart?
Simple answer: Yes. But again, I would want to play with this before deciding it should be in the finished product. Plus, I am unsure if I could get a cart, let alone 4 or 5, past the orcish grunts in the first scenario without killing all of the orcs. Defeating all orcs is not the main objective.
If you like this idea, then it should be an option at campaign start for now. That way it is not required until it is proven to be fun and doable.
Would you like me to upload the update now, or do you want to finish playing the campaign and I would then push the update?
Personally, I would finish playing before posting an addon with a potentially bugged ending. I have played campaigns that end with impossible tasks and missing scenarios, it is really disappointing. COMPLETE status is not required, but playable, in my opinion, is.
Last edited by Dragon-Friend on July 10th, 2022, 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: Hmm... You used the right word, it just seems to be a bit too extreme.
Maybe the line should point out that the cemeteries are outside? Because I envisioned the crypt similar to my idea of the catacombs under Rome. I thought, 'The entryway and the newer tombs are safe, but the center is too scary and dangerous.'
I would say it is believed to be impassable because it is a trapped maze.
Personally, I would finish playing before posting an addon with a potentially bugged ending. I have played campaigns that end with impossible tasks and missing scenarios, it is really disappointing. COMPLETE status is not required, but playable, in my opinion, is.
Ok I will try to code that and test it on my side in the meantime.
Thank you.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote:
Hi Dragon-Friend,
I added the food mechanism to my version of the add-on. You can find it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApBFV1Orah3l0kAh4_Z ... g?e=ahc8QW
The food mechanism is introduced in scenario 6, so you can test it by loading Zei.gz from your saves.
I would be glad to read what you think about it.

Edit: I updated the file because units were not losing health correctly
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Sorry to notice this so late. I was waiting until I reached the next city scenario before posting my proof-reading (now I am at scenario 17 Udxatfe). I haven't finished cataloging all of the corrections so I will post them later.
Wait, isn't Qyizu between Zie and Udxatfe? Yes, but I think the merchant might have been killed or a friendly unit stood on the trading hex, so I kept going before posting. (Didn't look at the source either, but I probably should have.)
Finally (for now) I am including a save from when Io was in Uvju's Cross. Because even though I am playing in EASY, the spiders were on a NIGHTMARE level because I didn't have Lu or any scholars (white mages) with me. I am thinking there needs to be a bit more balance in terms of spiders. Like a filter for if PLAYER has any white mages, which, if not met, reduces the number of spiders.
As you will see however, I was able to get through by use of sacrificially poisoning units and carefully and meticulously preserving ranger units, but it was not very fun. Bottleneck cave scenarios never are really, but this was an extreme save-loading for optimal numbers one.
I should have listened to Ofcuu when he told me it was a dangerous path.
Spoiler:
Attachments
LoI-Spider Maze replay.gz
crazy-hard
(76.19 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
LoI-Qyizu replay.gz
(75.36 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 12:41 pm
No problem. It is always a pleasure to read from players of my campaign.

A dwarf indeed came to block the merchant... I will had an AI line to prevent that.

I did not think it was even possible to go through Uvju's Cross without a healer.
Spoiler:
Thank you once again for playing my campaign.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Sorry this took so long, but here are the results of my proof-reading:
Spoiler:
I wrote the whole thing out in a format that I would find helpful if someone proof-read something I wrote in Spanish. I hope it doesn't sound demeaning.
On another note, I was thinking about how you said:
lhybrideur wrote: August 8th, 2022, 1:40 pm I did not think it was even possible to go through Uvju's Cross without a healer.
Maybe Siok, if PLAYER has no white mages, should appear at the end of Yooradweak's pass blabbing about how Io is nuts to think he can get through Uvju's Cross? Basically, its a way of ensuring PLAYER has a White Mage when challenging Uvju's Cross.
For Siok though, it is insurance of a safe trip away from Zei, because, in this scene, Siok would be trailing Io, but if Io dies, then his trail will end and Siok will have no choice but to return to Zei.
Now! I shall press foreward restarting from Zei!
PS: the reason I didn't hire Siok was because he cost 450 gold. (Prices these days are unreal.) Afterwards in Uvju's Cross I thought, "I will try playing EASY mode in the hardest way possible to see if it can be done."
Spoiler: