[Poll] Do you play Wesnoth (especially MP Wesnoth) with music?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you play Wesnoth (especially multiplayer) with in-game music?

Yes, I play with in-game music
44%
No, music distracts me, I prefer to play in silence
13%
I listen to my own playlist, not in-game music
13%
Depends...
31%

Total votes: 16

dwarftough

[Poll] Do you play Wesnoth (especially MP Wesnoth) with music?

Post by dwarftough »

I wonder about this topic. Coz I found some MP players said that they are distracted by music, so they always turn it off, when I can play with in-game game or with another music, for me it on contrary can create the scene (although I can play with no music too). So, what are your thoughts?
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: [Poll] Do you play Wesnoth (especially MP Wesnoth) with music?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

dwarftough wrote: June 21st, 2022, 3:34 pm I wonder about this topic. Coz I found some MP players said that they are distracted by music, so they always turn it off, when I can play with in-game game or with another music, for me it on contrary can create the scene (although I can play with no music too). So, what are your thoughts?
I prefer to play with no music at all or OST music from Fairy Tail, which has some of best battle music. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIpPYi2-CUM

I also, don't play with music in general, so I avoid addons which overpopulate their size with big music files.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
egallager

Post by egallager »

As someone who maintains campaigns that make use of musical cues to set the mood and feeling for certain scenes, I always play with music on to make sure that the cues work for their intended purposes, and would encourage other players to play with music on, as well, to ensure they're getting the developer's full vision for their scenarios.
Sire

Post by Sire »

I put down Depends.

For story-focused/first-time campaign playthroughs, I keep the music on to get the full campaign experience.
-- However, if I'm just playing through a campaign for gameplay (or simply replaying a campaign I already beaten recently), then I'll have the music off and listen to something else (usually a Youtube LP/Podcast).

I don't tend to play multiplayer, but if I do play the odd skirmish, it depends on the mood. If I'm just passing the time, I'll listen to something else. If I want to be immersed, I'll have the music on.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I mute it and play some internet radio instead. I don't make any distinction whether I'm doing MP, campaign or the usual solo games.
Now that I think of it I should try and keep the game music on for campaigns since I know they often use it thematically.
name

Post by name »

I play using the in game music. But I have to say, I really, really miss faction specific music. I would get ten times more out of the play experience if each faction had its own unique soundtrack again.

Without that, while some of the themes are still quite focused, strong and moving (like...well... loyalists.ogg), many can feel meandering and a bit wallpaper-y and they blur together into one continuous stream of "wesnoth music" in my head.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

name wrote: June 24th, 2022, 12:40 pm I play using the in game music. But I have to say, I really, really miss faction specific music. I would get ten times more out of the play experience if each faction had its own unique soundtrack again.

Without that, while some of the themes are still quite focused, strong and moving (like...well... loyalists.ogg), many can feel meandering and a bit wallpaper-y and they blur together into one continuous stream of "wesnoth music" in my head.
I think someone tried to implement faction-specfic playlists in an MP era. Not sure if they managed it or not.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I in general play without music. This has nothing to do with wesnoth, though. I kind of have
videos run in the background on youtube, or play stuff from my local audio playlist or
some local video. Or some university lecture. :P

These are kind of "more important" than wesnoth music. But it is not meant to say the wesnoth
music is bad, I just have a different focus. The poll so far is pretty clear to me that most players
prefer to have music; that's useful to know. So I am more the "off-candidate" here. :P

Edit: Actually I was to quick; option 2 and 3 are almost identical, so it is more 60% to 40%
and the second majority is by those who say "Depends", so... guess it's a slight majority
in favour of the music.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

4/12 don't listen to the game music at all. The rest do. 2/3rds majority. That's a pretty good vote for the game music IMHO. : )