wesnoth and beyond

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

wesnoth and beyond

Post by hermestrismi »

I love this game. I really wish I had time for it when I was younger and I wish that -when I played it- I had an idea about what can I learn from it instead of just playing, and hence I got an idea.
I wish that wesnoth evolve at the direction of being an "Educational " game where anyone can learn and teach others through and not only about the game issues but also in general.
for exemple, a wiki about learning C++, Python and Lua from beginner level , about how to create images , music , ... even languages (real, old and fictive) and story writing, all with ingame exemples
I know that the actual wiki is already full of pages about many domain but the major part of it is not for beginners and require some minimum level of knowledge .
ps: sorry for my possible grammar faults
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: wesnoth and beyond

Post by doofus-01 »

I agree with a lot of your general sentiment, but remember that Wesnoth is all volunteers, so there is a serious limit on the work-hours that can be spent on anything. The wiki necessarily takes lower priority than the core program.

For all of its shortcomings, basic WML is very easy to learn and understand. Folks like to flex, so not all WML is easy to understand, but the basic stuff is good and functional. As far as moving on to more generally useful languages, a focus on Lua makes some sense, and there are some useful examples already.

You don't need to be a member of some special Wesnoth cabal to update the wiki, so if something can be improved or explained in more detail, please give it an honest attempt. There is a lot of info there, but a lot of it is probably out of date or could at least be expanded upon.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects