Searching for campaigns via tags

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
shevegen

Searching for campaigns via tags

Post by shevegen »

I keep on forgetting the names of campaigns. I think I can finally remember "To Lands Unknown", but I always forget the name of the other "arabian night" campaign. The one with the sexy dwarf on the bear.

Anyway, I was thinking: what if we could search for this? Either online, and/or within the game itself.

Tags could be combined, e. g.:

- dwarf
- bear

And so forth (add tags that seem fitting).

The tags could be entered by the campaign author, but you could also allow for automatic registration of things (e. g. all unit types are automatically registered and thus available for search), so that we can then search for "give us all campaigns that feature a banshee in one way or another".

Does this feature exist already? If so, does it allow for in-game as well as online search?

I think this could be useful; perhaps people may want to get some ideas from older campaigns and what not, so a quick search feature would be nice. If it exists already then perhaps it needs better placement - I am notorious in being unable to find anything.

(On a side note, perhaps also allow for searching ALL encyclopedia, e. g. unit descriptions if installed.)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Searching for campaigns via tags

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

shevegen wrote: June 20th, 2022, 9:21 pm The one with the sexy dwarf on the bear.
Oath of Allegiance
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

shevegen wrote: June 20th, 2022, 9:21 pm I keep on forgetting the names of campaigns. I think I can finally remember "To Lands Unknown", but I always forget the name of the other "arabian night" campaign. The one with the sexy dwarf on the bear.

Anyway, I was thinking: what if we could search for this? Either online, and/or within the game itself.

Tags could be combined, e. g.:

- dwarf
- bear

And so forth (add tags that seem fitting).

The tags could be entered by the campaign author, but you could also allow for automatic registration of things (e. g. all unit types are automatically registered and thus available for search), so that we can then search for "give us all campaigns that feature a banshee in one way or another".

Does this feature exist already? If so, does it allow for in-game as well as online search?

I think this could be useful; perhaps people may want to get some ideas from older campaigns and what not, so a quick search feature would be nice. If it exists already then perhaps it needs better placement - I am notorious in being unable to find anything.

(On a side note, perhaps also allow for searching ALL encyclopedia, e. g. unit descriptions if installed.)
1) You can search for tags in the add-on manager, just like you would search for the name or the author. Seperate the tags with spaces.

2) You can use the search enginge of the forums basically the same way. Searching 'dwarf bear' results in a list of all posts containing both words.

3) I don't think there are any automatically generated tags at this point. They have to be added manually by the author. Forum search is the better bet for older content/content without tags.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

shevegen wrote: June 20th, 2022, 9:21 pm e. g. all unit types are automatically registered and thus available for search
They are registered on the Wesnoth Units Database. You can select an add-on campaign from the menu on the left, and the page will show all the non-mainline units in that campaign. It goes all the way back to version 1.0. (With the original artwork, which is fun.) It doesn't seem like you can do a global search, so you would still have to do some guesswork to find an old campaign. It would be a lot faster than checking by downloading each one though!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide