po and mo

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Re: po and mo

Post by hermestrismi »

well, I didn't find arabic as an option on 1.16 instead I run it on 1.12 (hard work because my pc is very slow. anyway...)
while it work fine (deleting .mo and replace it with .po with the same file name), I have so far 2 problems
1- not all words are translated (I didn't encounter them on the .po either but I persume that is due to me using a .po from 1.16. Am I right?)
2- and most of all, the words looks like separated letters (arabic is different from latin languages, separated letters cannot be read as words, every letter have a list of combinations dependently to the next word)
on the other hand, right to left doesn't seems a problem compared to those ones.
I tried to check other similar languages but there's none (hebrew, kurdish...)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

hermestrismi wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:09 pm well, I didn't find arabic as an option on 1.16 instead I run it on 1.12 (hard work because my pc is very slow. anyway...)
while it work fine (deleting .mo and replace it with .po with the same file name), I have so far 2 problems
1- not all words are translated (I didn't encounter them on the .po either but I persume that is due to me using a .po from 1.16. Am I right?)
2- and most of all, the words looks like separated letters (arabic is different from latin languages, separated letters cannot be read as words, every letter have a list of combinations dependently to the next word)
on the other hand, right to left doesn't seems a problem compared to those ones.
These languages seem to have very low translation progress https://www.wesnoth.org/gettext/?versio ... rder=trans. Arabic is only 0.8%, Hebrew is 10%.
Which is why they aren't available as options in language selection. A language needs 80% or more to be included in that list AFAIK.

Maybe take this as a chance to translate parts of it?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:30 pm
hermestrismi wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:09 pm well, I didn't find arabic as an option on 1.16 instead I run it on 1.12 (hard work because my pc is very slow. anyway...)
These languages seem to have very low translation progress https://www.wesnoth.org/gettext/?versio ... rder=trans. Arabic is only 0.8%, Hebrew is 10%.
Which is why they aren't available as options in language selection. A language needs 80% or more to be included in that list AFAIK.

Maybe take this as a chance to translate parts of it?
yes, I translated wesnoth-editor and I am at the middle of wesnoth-anl but I kept this unofficial as I don't want to change the priorities schedule of the dev. teams as I m slow and this translation will open a window to a ton of troubles (bugs, programming, tests...). I just wanted to test the editor-ar as a sample. If it work fine or with easly solving problem that will be fine for me and I will continue working in parallel with other projects . If not (case the problems are hard to solve ) then I will stop completely
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

To get Arabic to show up in the title screen's list of languages, you have to start it with either the --all-translations or --language ar_AR options. Languages with less than 80% of the "core" set of textdomains get hidden otherwise.

There were a lot of text changes between 1.12 and 1.16, so the .po files from one with leave a lot of untranslated things in the other one.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

octalot wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:50 pm To get Arabic to show up in the title screen's list of languages, you have to start it with either the --all-translations or --language ar_AR options. Languages with less than 80% of the "core" set of textdomains get hidden otherwise.

There were a lot of text changes between 1.12 and 1.16, so the .po files from one with leave a lot of untranslated things in the other one.
good
where should I add the script (the --all-translations or --language ar_AR)?
and the separated letters problem, is it easy to fix?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

On the command line (the one that you can start Wesnoth with wesnoth.exe from if you're running Windows).

The separated letters might already be fixed - the few already-translated texts in 1.16 look more joined-up than the screenshots from 1.12.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

yes, I translated wesnoth-editor and I am at the middle of wesnoth-anl but I kept this unofficial as I don't want to change the priorities schedule of the dev.
It's no problem really. Translations for stable releases can be submitted whenever you are able to. There's no member for Arabic translations so you might have to contact Ivanovic to submit the translated ar.po.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

octalot wrote: June 15th, 2022, 1:21 pm On the command line (the one that you can start Wesnoth with wesnoth.exe from if you're running Windows).
very sorry but I didn't get it. How exactly?
I mean I open what? step by step
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Windows' command line (I can't find a walkthrough on Wesnoth's site for it, but a web-search will find other descriptions).

Alternatively, do it in the same way that this is adding --editor: https://r.wesnoth.org/p644466
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

octalot wrote: June 15th, 2022, 2:02 pm Windows' command line (I can't find a walkthrough on Wesnoth's site for it, but a web-search will find other descriptions).

Alternatively, do it in the same way that this is adding --editor: https://r.wesnoth.org/p644466
well, if this is not magic, what can be 'magic' then? hhh :lol: genial solution and it works.
indeed, it can solve many other problems I encounter elsewhere.
anyway, the problem of separated letters disappeared because the letters themselves disappeared which means we almost returned to the first square :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 15th, 2022, 1:26 pm
yes, I translated wesnoth-editor and I am at the middle of wesnoth-anl but I kept this unofficial as I don't want to change the priorities schedule of the dev.
It's no problem really. Translations for stable releases can be submitted whenever you are able to. There's no member for Arabic translations so you might have to contact Ivanovic to submit the translated ar.po.
Thank you for encouragment
I already sent him an email but i need to be sure that my translation did not have bugs by testing it and i need to know if the problems related to arabic language can be solved easily without adding too much tasks for the team
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Looks like you're having a font support issue now and that the font being used is missing the Arabic glyphs.