Order of Oerbrae - SP campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

Re: Order of Oerbrae - SP campaign

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks Konrad! A fun watch as always!

It seems like from scenario 3 it just got easier and easier for you. Is that how you found it? I'm thinking about working on a nightmare difficulty. But did you feel the hard difficulty felt "right" for an intermediate-level campaign, or too easy?
Every hero unit is missing the silver crown.
I've looked and I'm using the {MAKE_LOYAL_NORMAL} macro. There is also a {MAKE_LOYAL_HERO} macro. What is the difference between a hero loyal and a normal loyal? I'm guessing the heroes have a silver crown? But I don't understand when a unit should be one or the other.
Would you mind allowing Laeka to recruit in SP? I'm pretty sure she'd be able to do so in MP, and in some scenarios it's a bit of a handicap that she can't recruit/recall. (Basically any map with two keeps for my (technically) two leaders.
Well, I went back and forth on this while making the campaign. You're right in MP I plan for Laeka to be player 2's leader. And from a story perspective, Laeka is the more likely leader, and so makes sense to be the recruiter.

I really like to emphasise trade-offs in my scenario design, and the two keeps thing is a big one. Deciding whether or not to go to a forward keep, and when, is a big decision in many of the scenarios. Having two units who could recruit would mean there are no trade-offs with this. The player wouldn't "miss" recruiting for any turns, and could forward-deploy units much quicker. At the least it would require some re-balancing.

That said, there would be a real fun factor to having Laeka recruit. In hindsight, I wished I'd designed the campaign to lean more on having two leaders. (It would certainly make a coop version more interesting.) So I'm still on the fence here. I think it would require some hefty redesign.

Finally, no typos? I almost can't believe you didn't find any! :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I've looked and I'm using the {MAKE_LOYAL_NORMAL} macro. There is also a {MAKE_LOYAL_HERO} macro. What is the difference between a hero loyal and a normal loyal? I'm guessing the heroes have a silver crown? But I don't understand when a unit should be one or the other.
Hero Unit: Unit who is relevant to the plot of the campaign and their death will give a endlevel defeat.
Loyal Unit: Unit who has joined you for their own reasons and won't give endlevel defeat if they died.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

H-Hour wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:26 pm It seems like from scenario 3 it just got easier and easier for you. Is that how you found it? I'm thinking about working on a nightmare difficulty. But did you feel the hard difficulty felt "right" for an intermediate-level campaign, or too easy?
I think it was right, the first scenario might have been on the hard side though. It is veeeery easy to get overwhelmed there, especially with almost no healing, during daytime.

The later scenarios were fine, likely partially due to the player being slowed down by their small keeps.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I think it's important to note that this is where my journey begins in this world, that being said, while there are things mentioned that I feel like I should know what they're referring to, I wasn't completely lost to at least what was going on in this campaign. That's not super easy to do, so I commend you on the well-written interaction of the world.

Can we talk about the cliffs in this campaign for a minute? Why is mainline Wesnoth sleeping on these? They're great! It should be pushed for whatever is needed for them to be added to mainline, be done! I like it lol.

One thing I will say about this campaign difficulty is that you may want to increase the village_gold for the ai, because when they run out of their gold they just stop, you kinda just need to deal with it a few rounds and then all of a sudden they can't fight you anymore.
Spoiler:
Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts that I had while playing the campaign. Overall I really enjoyed playing it though! It seems like there will be another installment to this and I look forward to exploring that when its available! Thanks for making great content :)

[EDIT]
I also noticed that your campaign pops up amidst the mainline campaigns which I'm pretty sure is frowned upon so you may want to boost up the rank? Up to you on that one though, I'm not sure if that's some kind of Wesnoth law lol.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks for playing Mirion147!
Can we talk about the cliffs in this campaign
They are very cool, but very hard to use well. A bunch of transitions just don't work. And if you place a cliff tile without another one next to it, it's invisible on the map and you only find out when you can't access the title in game. I imagine that's why they never made it in. :)
increase the village_gold for the ai, because when they run out of their gold they just stop, you kinda just need to deal with it a few rounds and then all of a sudden they can't fight you anymore.
What difficulty were you playing on? I always thought that initial confrontation was a key game mechanic in wesnoth. I'm not overly eager to mess with it, but I'm sure the hard difficulty could use more balancing...
Spoiler:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

H-Hour wrote: May 26th, 2022, 5:11 pm What difficulty were you playing on? I always thought that initial confrontation was a key game mechanic in wesnoth. I'm not overly eager to mess with it, but I'm sure the hard difficulty could use more balancing...
I played on Ritualist, or normal, difficulty. I'm not sure if that's considered a key game mechanic or not, I do feel like that is typical of Wesnoth mainline campaigns maybe around the time of 1.12, but I feel now the general plan is to make the levels more dynamic and requiring of strategy (though I can't say that I know how to accomplish this myself). At the end of the day it's just a note, you have the deciding hammer stroke on what's adjusted.
Spoiler:

I believe that Mor mentions something, let me see...
"It is said to be a maze of tunnels that never stop shifting" (also I believe that maze would be the noun here which would mean "stop" would actually be "stops") To me this made it read that the map would shift.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Ardunynn MP Era is obviously very fresh, but have you considered adding it as a dependency for your campaigns?
(You likely did, and just didn't have the time to implement it yet, I'm just asking to be sure.)
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Order for Oerbrae 1.0.3 is now on the addon server. This is a maintenance release that fixes a number of small issues mentioned above. Thanks to everyone for playing and leaving your feedback.
Konrad2 wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:12 am The Ardunynn MP Era is obviously very fresh, but have you considered adding it as a dependency for your campaigns?
Can't sneak anything passed you! I've released a new Ardunynn era and resource pack. Order of Oerbrae now uses this and Betrayal of Thaeylan will too. Hopefully it will be easier to maintain them in the future, and make new campaigns or scenarios set in Ardunynn.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

In the first scenario, i got the guy to unlock the gates to the port, and it said my heros could escape by boat, but it wont let them get on the boat!
Save attached.
Attachments
OERB-Escape from Vaerya Turn 14.gz
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks for playing tr0ll!
Spoiler:
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Thanks! It is a good puzzle and story
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

This campaign is totally outside of the mainline of the regular Wesnoth campaigns, am I right.

I was trying to figure out what date could be assigned to it, but was unable to.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

WLFobe wrote: August 20th, 2023, 6:28 pm This campaign is totally outside of the mainline of the regular Wesnoth campaigns, am I right.

I was trying to figure out what date could be assigned to it, but was unable to.
Yes, it takes place in Ardunynn, which is not connected to Wesnoth lore.