Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Under the Burning Suns

Post by sergey »

For example, here I added a "TEST" at the beginning and the whole text is displayed.
Attachments
under_the_burning_suns_modified.gif
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
TyBonzer
Translator

Post by TyBonzer »

sergey wrote: April 19th, 2019, 11:00 am
TyBonzer wrote: April 19th, 2019, 9:45 am I found some missing info:
In the campaign-selection screen, UtBS is the only campaign where the 'expert level, 11 scenarios'-text is missing.
Can this be added?
I have the same bug for "Under the Burning Suns" and "A Tale of Two Brothers", screenshots are attached. Windows 10, Wesnoth 1.14.6. I looked into the code and what is strange - the text is there. I modified the text and got a very strange results - sometimes the text is displayed when I add/remove a few letters, sometimes it is not displayed.
At my setup (Windows 10, Wesnoth 1.14.7), it is only missing when I play in the smallest resolution (800x600).
strange..
ATTACHMENTS utbs-missing-info.png
Attachments
utbs-missing-info.png
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Might be #3443?

(edit: discussion has been split)
egallager

Post by egallager »

I have feedback but it's for the 1.14 version of UtBS and I hear it's been heavily reworked for 1.15... should I submit it anyways, or just not bother?
Edit: the diffs/feedback in question can be found here, for reference: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/tree/master/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns, and I think I will actually try to submit them as a PR, anyways...
Last edited by egallager on September 27th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yumi (nemaara here on the forums) would be the one to ask about that.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Altruist

Wesnoth 1.14.16: Under the Burning Suns

Post by Altruist »

I've just finished the campaign, Under the Burning Suns, with the newest Wesnoth release 1.14.16, difficulty: challenging.

Actually, over the last 15? years, this was my third time I played the whole campaign. And I am as amazed as I was the very first time. The campaign has changed over the time, so each time there were new things to discover and to experience.

I might be the whatever hundreth saying so but nevertheless:
GREAT! What a fantastic campaign. All you who have worked on it over the years, thank you very much, really.

I didn't encounter a single bug.
Every scenario is made with much love to detail.
All 4 types of the Elvish Qenoth units seemed to me well rounded and useful and I used all 4 types from level 1 to 3/4. Most impressive the Quenoth Sun Sylphs: Arcane flying battleships.

The gimicks: holy water bottles, flaming blades, the way the main characters can upgrade, really adds spice and fun.
And I loved my little Dust Devil. I think, when in the next-to-last scenario my not so little Dust Devil anymore finally "bit the dust" probably my neighbours were able to hear the loud: "Nooooo!" but I resisted the urge to reload... which, by the way, as difficult as some scenarios might look like at the beginning, isn't necessary to get thru. Really well rounded and balanced. But the urge to reload was nevertheless strong quite often because I found myself really getting attached to many "units" which had become fully-flegded characters over the course of the campaign: good dialogs, good stories.

And what a great packed story in so few chapters.
I could go on highlighting the so many details and "little stories" within the story but I don't want to spoil.
An amazing campaign! There are lots of well made campaigns but Under the Burning Suns was and will probably stay my favourite.
woseshaman

Post by woseshaman »

Replays from my playthrough of UtBS, Wesnoth version 1.15.14, Nightmare difficulty, Troll path

Scenario 1-6 since theres a limit of attachments per post
Attachments
UtBS-The Morning After replay 20210625-191418.gz
(36.88 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
UtBS-Across the Harsh Sands replay 20210625-233635.gz
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
UtBS-A Stirring in the Night replay 20210626-003958.gz
(62.84 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
UtBS-Descending into Darkness replay 20210626-181148.gz
(64.6 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
UtBS-A Subterranean Struggle replay 20210626-185045.gz
(77.74 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
UtBS-In the Domain of the Dwarves replay 20210626-235222.gz
(71.75 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
woseshaman

Post by woseshaman »

Replays from my playthrough of UtBS, Wesnoth version 1.15.14, Nightmare difficulty, Troll path

Scenario 7-12 since theres a limit of attachments per post
Attachments
UtBS-Talking with Trolls replay 20210627-000114.gz
(36.36 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
UtBS-Out of the Frying Pan replay 20210627-022045.gz
(125.77 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
UtBS-Blood is Thicker than Water replay 20210627-035607.gz
(102.28 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
UtBS-Speaking with the Fishes replay 20210627-035648.gz
(51.41 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
UtBS-The Battle for Zocthanol Isle replay 20210629-192053.gz
(112.89 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
UtBS-The Final Confrontation replay 20210629-193302.gz
(54.99 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Sire

Post by Sire »

Had a brief discussion on Discord about my findings about the Quenoth Youth (Kaleh and Nym) upgrades. I then went to write walls of text, and it is probably more suited here than on Discord.
-- In short, Sire made a mistake and wrote a wall of text because he misread the T1!Warrior upgrade. This post has been reworked massively.
-- Still, Bolas could use a nerf. Bows are okay-ish.

BoW Version: 1.16.2
Back to the Quenoth Youth of UtBS, here's a quick breakdown of Warrior and Hunter damage outputs.

Code: Select all

OG!Base		T1!Warrior	M!Warrior	R!Warrior		T1Hunter	T2!Hunter
5-4 Sword	7-4 Sword	9-5 Sword	7-4 Sword		10-2 Bolas	13-3 Bolas
4-3 Bow		6-4 Bow		6-4 Bow		9-4 Bow, Marksman

DMG Potentials
9-5, 45 M!Warrior
9-4, 36 R!Warrior, +Marksman
13-3, 39 T2Hunter, +Slows
Looking at these values, Bolas outperform Bows in DMG, and have the Slow effect (which is a bit more powerful than Marksman).
-- Also, the Hunter Line gives a variety of bonuses (T1 grants +1 Move, while T2 offers Backstab or Skirmisher), compared to the raw damage upgrades of Warrior.
-- Personally, I think Bolas could use a nerf.

There's also the Leadership line to consider, but when I originally wrote this I was under the impression that Bows were vastly underpowered when compared to Bolas. Rechecking the code, this is not the case and the two are a bit more equal in power, but Bolas do still have the edge.
-- I don't find the Leadership line to be as impactful, as one can just recruit and level a unit with Leadership. Honestly, the +1 DMG per level is more valuable than the Leadership itself, that's just a bonus when trying to fill out upgrades. (I find the T2 Leadership options to be underwhelming.)

As for some suggestions...

1. Nerf Bolas (T2!Hunter)
-- T2!Bolas could use a nerf, so instead of +3 DMG and +1 Attacks (with choice of Backstab or Skirmisher), just make it +1 DMG and +1 Attacks (with choice of Backstab or Skirmisher).
-- This goes from 13-3 (39) to 11-3 (33). The Slow Utility is what's important here, and Hunter already gives lots of benefits.

2. The Backstab Dilemma
-- A little divergence from Bow vs Bolas, it's about the Sword McBackStab.
-- Going full Melee Build with the Hunter's Backstab is overkill, even though it takes 4 Advancements (Warrior, Melee!Warrior, Hunter, Backstab!Hunter) to obtain (45 DMG Potential to 90 DMG Potential with Backstab).
-- Going further and getting all Advancements goes to 55 DMG Potential, 110 with Backstab (Leadership gives +1 DMG per tier, so +2 at T2.)
-- I guess the question is, can this killer combo remain, or does there need to be a tweak somewhere?
...and that's everything. I'll post my review of UtBS when I finish with it (Normal Difficulty)
-- I still believe in Easy, Normal, Hard for terminology. Not sure why Wesnoth changed the names of individual campaign difficulties.

========== EDIT ==========

Potential Bug Report:
Scenario Two, Dehydration Leveling
-- Kaleh was dehydrated and suffered -2 DMG.
-- Kaleh killed a unit and leveled (Went Warrior first, then wanted Melee Warrior).
-- The Dehydrated condition was "cleared," but the newly leveled Kaleh still had the -2 DMG from the previous Dehydrated condition.

-- Going back to refresh Kaleh and then level up resulted in proper values.
=== My initial findings, with pictures, can be found in the Discord server. (May 20th, 2022 - 5:21 PM US Central)

========== EDIT 2 ==========

Bug Report: Scenario Two, Dehydration Leveling
-- This not only applies to Kaleh, but to other units as well.
-- I leveled a Quenoth Mystic who had Dehydration, and she still had the damage reduction effects after leveling into a Quenoth Shaman.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Just played the first scenario of this. Not as difficult as expected. Campaign looks to be as interesting as the many references to it in UMC seem to imply.

I think I found a bug in the formation ability. Doesn't seem to add 10 to defense. Sand is 60 for these and when next to another formation unit they were still 60. Cap is at 70 so that's not the problem.

Secondly I definitely found problems with the translation into german. 1. Some desc's and some narration/dialogue was not translated. 2. Some words were typoed/misspelled. 3. "Respektperson" is obviously a failed attempt at translation. Unless this is some awful modern usage I don't know of. If it is, it ought to be exterminated and with extreme prejudice. : )
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Hi there!
Question from translation possible issue: extract from git master branch, file wesnoth-utbs/it.po

109 #. [lua]: wesnoth.interface.game_display.unit_status
    110 #: data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/lua/theme.lua:15
    111 msgid ""
    112 "dehydrated: This unit is dehydrated. It will lose $dehydration HP and have "
    113 "its damage reduced by 1 each turn during the day unless prevented by healers "
    114 "or cured by water at an oasis.\n"
    115 "\n"
    116 "Units cannot be killed or deal no damage as a result of dehydration."
    117 msgstr ""
    118 "disidratata: questa unità è disidratata. Per ogni turno del giorno perderà "
    119 "$dehydration punti ferita ed avrà il coefficiente di danno ridotto di un "
    120 "punto a meno che non sia protetta dai guaritori o curata con l’acqua in "
    121 "un’oasi.\n"
$dehydration at line 112 is singular, plural, variable from ... 0 to ... a number ?
However, if $dehydration can be "1", translators need singular/plural form...
If it is always a number greater than 1, probably a note for the translator could be more than enough, at least for italian translation

As side note, at line 1261 it is also used a $dehydration_loss that could be "affected" by the same issue...

1255 #. [message]: speaker=narrator
   1256 #: data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/02_Across_the_Harsh_Sands.cfg:341
   1257 msgid ""
   1258 "During the daytime (Dawn, Morning, Midday, Afternoon, and Dusk) at the "
   1259 "beginning of each your turns, every unit in a sand, road, rubble or sand "
   1260 "dune hex will suffer from thirst. Each turn of thirst reduces a unit’s "
   1261 "attack damage and causes $dehydration_loss hitpoints of damage. Healers can "
   1262 "prevent dehydration from becoming worse, but cannot heal it. Only by "
   1263 "refreshing at an oasis (any water hex) at the start of your turn will your "
   1264 "units regain full attack strength."
Ciao
A
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

$dehydration_loss will be 3 (Easy), 5 (Normal), or 7 (Hard).

$dehydration is the same value as $dehydration_loss, since the string it's from is:
tooltip = stringx.vformat(_"dehydrated: This unit is dehydrated. It will lose $dehydration HP and have its damage reduced by 1 each turn during the day unless prevented by healers or cured by water at an oasis.\n\nUnits cannot be killed or deal no damage as a result of dehydration.", {dehydration = dehydration_loss})
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
tactics123

Post by tactics123 »

Any chance including this faction into default Era?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

tactics123 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 12:51 pm Any chance including this faction into default Era?
I believe some add-ons have incorporated units from the era.
tactics123

Post by tactics123 »

So far the ones I've found only shares the same name, but are entirely different. The name of the era is Ageless Era and Neverending Era.