The Dark Hordes (Unofficial version)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

The Dark Hordes (Unofficial version)

Post by hermestrismi »

This is not the original The Dark Hordes
Explanation: I have made this campaign years before to be played on BfW1.12 as a continuation of the original TDH which was considered abandoned and unmaintained long before.
Under BfW 1.16, I saw TDH (the original) maintained and playable so I didn't upload mine until now. I changed my mind just because I felt that my work maybe worthy to be played :P
This doesn't intend to violate or underestimate the work of anyone so if someone feel uncomfortable with that, I will directly delete this version from the server of 1.16.
Now

The Dark Hordes(Unofficial version)
Lead fugitive dark sorcerer Gwiti Ha'atel to mastery of the unread hordes.
Completed but under reconstruction and until now, only the first scenario was reconstructed so, although all scenarios are considered playable, I don't advise to play it right now unless for testing or tasting purposes.
Finished
15 scenarios (no epilogues)
Also, this campaign (Version 0.2.0 and later) will be a part of The Dark Master project
version="0.2.1"
adding TDM Project as a dependency
version="0.2.1a"
revising scenarios from 00 to 04 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
version="0.2.1b"
revising scenarios from 04 to 07 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
version="0.2.1c"
revising scenarios from 07 to 12 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
version="0.2.1d"
deleting duplicated files
version="0.2.1e"
revising scenarios from 12 to 15 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
Last edited by hermestrismi on June 18th, 2022, 12:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hermestrismi

Re: The Dark Hordes (Unofficial version)

Post by hermestrismi »

version="0.2.1"
version="0.2.1a"
revising scenarios from 00 to 04 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

version="0.2.1"
version="0.2.1a"
version="0.2.1b"
revising scenarios from 04 to 07 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

version="0.2.1"
version="0.2.1a"
version="0.2.1b"
version="0.2.1c"
revising scenarios from 07 to 12 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

version="0.2.1"
version="0.2.1a"
version="0.2.1b"
version="0.2.1c"
version="0.2.1d"
deleting duplicated files
version="0.2.1e"
revising scenarios from 12 to 15 (balancing gold and recruit, maps, portraits direction, story, typos...)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Just note, the unofficial version just had been reworked few days ago. you can try it again and tell me if it still looks bad :roll:
I hope you have prepared yourself.
Prologue
  • Map's terrain transitioning is rather....well..unappealing
  • The starting battle is very odd as it does really allow any window of XP gaining for Gwiti or his undead. Side 2 steals all XP points available.
  • item system keeps giving me the same item and that's stackable...making it highly OP and throws whatever balance the scenario has right out the window
Scenario 01
  • Scenario number shows on the objective which is odd
  • No way of telling which unit has what item equipped or an item equipped for that matter.
Scenario 02
  • classic Ud vs Ud scenario
  • item drops have little to no variety: just an armour or a buckler
  • there is no class distinction/restriction for items. Gwiti of the spellcaster class can equip heavy steel armour which is very "unimmersive"
  • Gold carryover from scenario is set amazingly high. Starting next scenario with over 1K gold.
Scenario 03
  • Scenario ended prematurely
  • Scenario does not even allow XP farming as the orcs beat up each other without me reaching them
  • Map needs some "beautification"
Scenario 04
  • Map needs some beautification/embellishments
  • Scenario was tuned for difficulty here
Scenario 05
  • No healing centre provide
  • No icy potion pickup prompt like "do you want this unit to pick this up or not"
  • dungeon tower exploration isn't rewarding
You might wanna rework it with more attention to UX, terrain map detailing, scenario design intricacy (interactive map) because it's the same as the last time I played it.
Attachments
TDH-05 Inside the Tower replay 20220620-200422.gz
(28.44 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
TDH-04 Mages and Elves replay 20220620-195630.gz
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
TDH-03 The Skull of Morgorath replay 20220620-155631.gz
(27.82 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
TDH-02 Brother Against Brother replay 20220620-155053.gz
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
TDH-01 A New Chance replay 20220620-151832.gz
(22.32 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
TDH-00 The beginning replay 20220620-151129.gz
(26.71 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:22 pm
Just note, the unofficial version just had been reworked few days ago. you can try it again and tell me if it still looks bad :roll:
Prologue
  • The starting battle is very odd as it does really allow any window of XP gaining for Gwiti or his undead. Side 2 steals all XP points available.
  • item system keeps giving me the same item and that's stackable...making it highly OP and throws whatever balance the scenario has right out the window
Scenario 01
  • Scenario number shows on the objective which is odd
  • No way of telling which unit has what item equipped or an item equipped for that matter.
Scenario 02
  • classic Ud vs Ud scenario
  • item drops have little to no variety: just an armour or a buckler
  • there is no class distinction/restriction for items. Gwiti of the spellcaster class can equip heavy steel armour which is very "unimmersive"
  • Gold carryover from scenario is set amazingly high. Starting next scenario with over 1K gold.
Scenario 03
  • Scenario ended prematurely
  • Scenario does not even allow XP farming as the orcs beat up each other without me reaching them
  • Map needs some "beautification"
Scenario 04
  • Map needs some beautification/embellishments
  • Scenario was tuned for difficulty here
Scenario 05
  • No healing centre provide
  • No icy potion pickup prompt like "do you want this unit to pick this up or not"
  • dungeon tower exploration isn't rewarding
You might wanna rework it with more attention to UX, terrain map detailing, scenario design intricacy (interactive map) because it's the same as the last time I played it.
I m not only prepared but I needed such report to make it better (but, come iiiin it s better than before even slightly :annoyed: )
well, most of notes are logical but some of need to explain such as:
[*] Map's terrain transitioning is rather....well..unappealing
the field represent a front between orcish land and human farms. I will try to make it more expressive.
The starting battle is very odd as it does really allow any window of XP gaining for Gwiti or his undead. Side 2 steals all XP points available.
this is exactly my intention. it show also that using necromancy wasn't necessary but rather a mad act.
except this, I agree with all the other points completely and I need more reports like this to improve it.
ps: for items, it's still on test.. I need to be assure about its effects on the game before proceeding with it
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Scenario 6
  • Uneventful Dull Map
  • I can get ghouls now, which is nice
  • Starting to lose interest in this campaign
Scenario 7
  • Quagmire to Grassland transitions is horrendous. Either use Swamp or not at all.
  • Map is Huge and dead. No extra events
  • Map sort of gives it away that Gwiti should be moving to that northern passage
Scenario 8
  • I remember this map being horrible due to the one-hex passages, but i see it's more convenient now
  • Enemies do not pose a threat
  • Map seems too limited in terrain types
Scenario 9
  • Too easy
  • No unit variety on Naga. There are like 4 usable Naga unit lines..just throwing Fighters and Warriors felt bad
Scenario 10
  • Bad as the last time I played this one
  • Lost interest in playing the campaign further
  • There is no solid story why the Dwarves had so many inexperienced guards here which got bulldozed easily by the player's recall list
well, most of notes are logical but some of need to explain such as:
I meant the placement of mountains next to flat and no hill hexes near by.
Attachments
TDH-10 old secrets replay 20220621-183750.gz
(54.91 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
TDH-09 Underground River replay 20220621-074154.gz
(45.56 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
TDH-08 Underground Pool replay 20220621-072743.gz
(35.83 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
TDH-07 Confrontation replay 20220621-071958.gz
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
TDH-06 Crelanu's Book replay 20220621-070726.gz
(37.29 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I meant the placement of mountains next to flat and no hill hexes near by.
Ah ok. Now, it is clear. it will be added to my todo list for this campaign along with the other points
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Prologue
What do you think if I shrink the map and make the human castle between the two brothers? it will make the mission more difficult but give a chance for more xp collecting. with more gold for orcs maybe.
for the items, what if the extra resistance gift became much less (+2% only) and the added hp became expensive (-1 mp)?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Spoiler:
Last edited by hermestrismi on June 23rd, 2022, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

version 0.2.1i
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

-> the report stop in sc 10 so: overall : maps improvement, gold and carryover more balanced ...
Well, yes. I took one glance at S11 and gave up. It's the same as 10. Empty map, nothing but killing enemies and a huge time waste dragging units from one end to the other. Maybe make the map size smaller..like 33% of the current size.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 3:38 pm
-> the report stop in sc 10 so: overall : maps improvement, gold and carryover more balanced ...
Well, yes. I took one glance at S11 and gave up. It's the same as 10. Empty map, nothing but killing enemies and a huge time waste dragging units from one end to the other. Maybe make the map size smaller..like 33% of the current size.
well, you have right. I will fix this but not now :(
can you look to the new maps and tell me if they are better now?
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

I can't win scenario with flood.
Attachments
Bitva_o_Wesnoth_-_1.16.6_01.12.2022_16_48_29.png