Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.8.2

Post by inferno8 »

I am working on the next update.The previously suggested units (Battlecopter and Recruitment Officer) will be included in the upcoming 3.8.3 release. There is going to be a third new unit as well - Mirrorshield (Mystic Warrior's alternative lvl3 advancement for Sky Kingdom). As the name suggests, this unit will be equipped with a special kind of reflective shield, capable of deflecting some magical attacks.
The new version will be ready this weekend so stay tuned!
IPS wrote: May 18th, 2022, 12:59 am Will wait if Inferno8 is interested about a lv2/lv3 kharosian hybrid fighter javalineer before of potentially designing them.
I am always interested to hear your ideas, so feel free to post some concepts of that unit and I'll try to implement it.
IPS wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:47 am Inspired's resurrect is not working if an unit is slain by Area of Damage like fire-breath and potentially others like area-attack, triple-strike or similar ones, not sure if it's possible to fix these exceptions.
This is a known issue (probably connected with fight and kill experience issues in multitarget attacks), but I am not going to fix it anytime soon. So for now let's say that the inspired ability does not work on units killed "indirectly".
Lord_bold wrote: May 16th, 2022, 7:32 pm Ah, thats funny, a friend of mine wanted me to try that era. I guess I'll have no excuses now haha. Very cool.
Yeah, GSE is quite an innovative and ambitious add-on with unique factions and mechanics. It is full of new abilities and exotic weapon specials, so it requires some effort to get the hang of it, but once you master it, GSE will reward you with truly awesome skirmishes :)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

Right, will post the propossal for an optional advancement for shielders which would be Javalineer and a lv3 of theirs.

This unit is basically a lv2 kharosian javalineer that is slightly weaker than loyalist javalineer but that can go up to lv3. Both lv2 and lv3 units are "low tier" compared to units of their levels, but compensated at being cheap and easy to level up as this unit is intended to boost kharos early game as both protectors and avenger have lv2 cap while sun follower is not so good againist ranged physical damage. Contrary of shieldbearers which specializes in defense, this hybrid fighter focuses more in being positionated at higher terrain defenses and deal somewhat higher retaliation damage at both melee and ranged.

Stats would be the following:

Kharosian Javalineer (can be leader, but maybe players would not want him, but who knows)
Advances from: Shielder
HP: 50
8-3 pierce melee +first-strike
11-2 pierce ranged
Movement: 5
XP: 65
Price: 26g

Advances to: Kharosian Impaler

Resistances:
20% to pierce, 30% to arcane

Cheap and easy to level up that promises a signficant physical damage boost for kharosian army, having as option something that can retaliate with stronger counter-attacks, usually better when dealing againist archers or poison ranged than sun followers. Compared to default javalineer this option has only 2 more HP but massive -20% pierce resistance but +10% arcane resistance but can be leveled up quickly into a lv3 version of it.

Kharosian Impaler lv3
HP: 63
10-3 pierce mele +first-strike
14-2 pierce ranged
Movement: 6
XP: 126
Price: 48g

Resistances:
40% to arcane, 30% to pierce, 15% to fire

Most equilibrated and balanced unit in whole Kharosian army in terms of any stat, hybrid fighter with somewhat low health but with a boost of mobility. Extra pierce resistance encourages more the enemy foe at using melee againist him instead of archers. They also have diviner amulet (or armor) that gives them a significant bonus resistance to both fire and arcane but isn't as much compared to sun follower magical resistances. This unit can be a cheap counter of lv2/lv3 sun follower as well of somewhat arcane resistant which is nasty for kharosian opponents. Considered of a possibility of solar regeneration 2/5 but then said that it would not benefit that much to unit compared to some extra base HP as its intention is to stand in high terrain chances and crossing fingers it survives, as well if standing over a village or next to an healer decreasing even 3 MAX HP for such bonus could not benefit at all the unit. Extra comment: next to a protector, this unit gains quite interesting resistances specially considering a 35% fire resistance which is not bad at all.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
IPS

Post by IPS »

This double post is just to add some unit description to new kharos units.

As well of advising that I think it's a better idea to me to wait the release of some/all new units and review how affects the whole ecosystem of the era, as in all my 60x55 test I have to admit that I was getting short of tanks because only White/Gold warriors and Elemental/Mystic archers arrive at time as reinforcements in maps of these proportion. With the new recruiter unit AND javalineer option for shieldbearers the faction might be much more clever specially at larger maps and not getting deficiency of slower but necessary tanks and fighters.

Still thinking that Dark Blooded needs summons :hmm:
Maybe allowing summons to lv3 clan leader and lv3 corrup shaman, but will of think on more new and unique units that are usually not in dark blooded recruit list.... might take time. But, I was considering in something like "forest spirit" or "marsh spirit" that might be weak compared to all other summons but hey always growing in numbers and quick reinforcements is welcome! also remminder that darkblooded is actually the fastest faction specially in randomly generated maps or rough terrains because saurians are always nice in almost any terrain and more if they actually need only 1 movement to move over a forest tile! strong reasons why I still think that darkblooded should have summons BUT weaker than from any other faction.

Javalineer
Kharosian are intrepid men that usually dislikes the idea of being poorly harmed againist melee reasons why they usually don't consider archery and leaving it only to alied tribes as well it's the reason why only female focuses in specializing in arcane magic. As not all kharosian can afford a more expensive shield than their delegated novice shields some of them instead preffer in focusing in specializing in spears throw as well as for some kharosian it feels more heroic fighting without the cover of a shield.

Not getting any good idea for Impaler unit description, so will leave it for someone else or maybe me if I get something better.

Recruiter
In rough times, sometimes is difficult to find men to be in frontline specially when far from the capital. Recruiter usually stands in villages and asking civilians to fight for kharos nation in the current battle they are facing in and giving a somewhat generous payment for any intrepid man that agrees and a costless delegated novice shield, both offers being highly generous for these who wants to risk their lives for an acceptable payment.

In many occations, kharosian civilians are aware that in particular cases not accepting a recruiter offer is usually more risky for their life than even fighting reason why some men would even join Kharos for free specially when facing againist proffesional murders like Tharis people are.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.8.3 - 5 new units!

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.8.3 is now available!

This update includes 5 new units! Lead ferocious Kharosian Javelineeners, merciless Impalers, magic-deflecting Mirrorshields and deadly Battlecopters! The best thing is all these units were proposed by the community! :D

eoma_3.8.3_promo.gif
eoma_3.8.3_promo.gif (409.69 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Battlecopter (lvl3 advancement for Steamcopter - proposed by IPS):
While much smaller than other elite flying machines, these technological masterpieces are specifically tailored to expectations of pilots with best reflexes and navigational skills. Being a still relatively new addition to Runemasters' arsenal, Battlecopters are equipped with state-of-the-art engines, weaponry and guidance systems. This makes them incredibly effective at patrolling large areas and eliminating any kind of threat with their deadly missiles.
Additional commentary: as you can see in the gif above, I used some 3D techniques to create this unit. It sped up the production time immensely, that's why I plan to use tricks like these to improve other mechanical units in the future.

mirrorshield.png
mirrorshield.png (12.25 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Mirrorshield (lvl3 advancement for Mystic Warrior - proposed by ForestDragon):
Equipped with special magic-deflecting shields, these elite troops of Sky Kingdom are magic users' worst nightmare. Mirrorshield's 'deflect magic' ability is a complete game changer because enemy magical attacks (fire, cold and arcane with the magical or enchanted special) deal two thirds of the base damage (rounded up) back to the attackers (applying the attacker's resistances). Now any mage will think twice before trying to use magical spells against a Mirrorshield.

recruitment-officer.png
recruitment-officer.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Recruitment Officer (lvl3 advancement for Brown Warrior - proposed by Lord_bold):
Some soldiers never truly shine enough to be recognized as heroes by the peasants, or join the sacred legions. Most just go back to their families when they are relieved of service. However, a very select few choose to stay on the army to help educate and conscript more people. This job, while not glorious or awe inspiring as the feats of the Platinum Guard or Pious as the Sacred Sun order is nevertheless extremely important.
Additional commentary: this unit has a special variant of the summon ability called simply 'recruit': if this unit stands on a village hex and has full moves and attacks, it can recruit an additional Shielder. When used right this ability can turn the tide of battle.

javelineer.png
javelineer.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 918 times
impaler.png
impaler.png (12.49 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Kharosian Javelineer and Kharosian Impaler (lvl2 and lvl3 advancements for Shielder - proposed by IPS):
Not all Kharosians can afford expensive shields used by elite troops. That is why some of them decide to specialize in throwing light spears to decimate their foes. This traditional way of fighting dates back to ancient times, when Kharos lands were divided among many different tribes and cults constantly waging domination wars against each other. One of such tribes was particularly known for its fierce javelineers wrecking havoc on their enemies. Nowadays Kharosian armies often consist of multiple squads of Javelineers and more experienced Impalers to gain the upper hand in any battle.

I'd like to thank IPS, Lord_bold and ForestDragon for suggesting these new units. Thanks to your unit ideas and contributions, Era of Magic is getting better and better! :D
eoma_3.8.3_promo2.jpg
eoma_3.8.3_promo2.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.8.3
 ### Gameplay
	* added 5 new units: Battlecopter, Mirrorshield, Recruitment Officer, Kharosian Javelineer and Kharosian Impaler
 ### Units
	** Kharos:
	 * Elemental Archer: fire resistance from 15% to 20%
 ### Abilities
	* implemented a new ability: 'Recruit' (modified variant of the 'Summon' ability for Recruitment Officers)
	* implemented a new ability: 'Deflect Magic' (for Mirrorshield)
 ### Descriptions
	* added new descriptions for Steamcopter (IPS), Battlecopter (IPS), Mechanical Dragon (IPS + Lord-Knightmare), Fallen Cyclops King (Lord_bold), Black Portal (IPS), Recruitment Officer (Lord_bold), Kharosian Javelineer (IPS)
 ### Translations
	* updated the raw translation file
        * updated the Polish translation	
Creator of Era of Magic

Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

With all these new Units, I’ve been realizing the Tharis didn’t got much new since a long time. And since I like finding ideas, I came up with this.

Tharis frontliners :

Unlike most of the Tharis, theses warriors have been trained for direct combats rather than sneak tactics, poison or no counter attack techniques.
They are noticeably more resilient than most, and carries two curved swords for combat, and a throwing star in case of ranged encounters (or similar throwing bladed weapons), which is rather used to defend themselves against ranged attackers rather than attacking themselves.

Their melee weapons could inflict bleed, which instead of being a simple poison copycat, would do less but random damage, hinder movements by 2 and attack strength by 15% (the attack reduction is stackable up to 3 turns with bleed active)
They are more resilient, but not more armored, which doesn’t hinder much their movements, but only increases their hp and not their resistances.

Tharis Warlord (name might be a bit generic)
Tharis frontliners with enough respect and experience on the battlefield to occupy more important roles. They are essentially better in most aspect, and more swift at using their ranged weapons (basically they have 2 strikes instead of 1).
Being respected, they have an ability similar to inspire which boist resistances and damages of nearby allies by 10%

Also maybe important to note, they hunger for battle but are not crazed warrior, therefore not having the berserk ability.

Might think about a Tharis mage variation focused on Destroyers magic, since If I recall well Tharis worship them.
Last edited by Tezereth on May 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occasional Sprite animator, and maker of the following add-ons :
Warfare of far lands (1.16)
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

Now to go a little further, I think the stats could be something around that :

Tharis frontliner
Advances from: Dark warrior
9-3 blade melee +bleed
7-1 blade ranged
XP: 80
Price: 34g

Advances to: Dark Warlord

Resistances:
15% blade, 20% impact, 10% pierce 20% cold

Dark Warlord
Advances from: Tharis Frontliner
HP: 64
12-3 blade melee +bleed
8-2 blade ranged
XP: 140
Price: 56g
Ability : Warrior influence

Advances to: nothing atm

Resistances:
20% blade, 20% impact, 20% pierce 20% cold
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Good timing Tezereth, as it looks like Tharis have the lowest number of units in comparison to other factions right now:
units-table-3.8.3.jpg
units-table-3.8.3.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Lore-wise the suggested "frontliners", as you call them, seem acceptable and could fit Tharis faction. But first, I'd like to hear IPS opinion on these units and the proposed 'bleed' mechanics in general. Each new unit addition to EoMa should prove to be beneficial in terms of balance and overall gameplay experience. Personally I've been thinking about female warriors to spice things up. We have only witches now but that's not enough in my opinion :P
Creator of Era of Magic

Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

I just realized the Dark warlord name was already taken by the lv4 of the commander line, oops.

Also, I agree with the idea of adding gender variations for warriors.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I think I found a bug - the veteran/fanatic traits get added even without AMLA when leveling to the lvl2-capped units
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Also, I it would be nice if mirrorshield's deflect also worked on precision/always hits attacks, since those are pretty much always magic too
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

ForestDragon wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 5:45 pm I think I found a bug - the veteran/fanatic traits get added even without AMLA when leveling to the lvl2-capped units
Thanks for reporting. I'll investigate that soon.
ForestDragon wrote: May 24th, 2022, 5:31 amAlso, I it would be nice if mirrorshield's deflect also worked on precision/always hits attacks, since those are pretty much always magic too
I started this from a point of view that more accurate weapons with 'precision' and 'always hits' specials thanks to their high accuracy can avoid the shield completely and hit the wielder directly. For example, lvl3 Summoners' magical circles are impossible to dodge, because they 'encircle' victims so their shields are of no use. The same applies to 'incantation of power, and 'dimensional vortex' attacks with precision specials. Once they hit, the target is helpless.

If that doesn't sound convincing enough for you, I might change the way the 'deflect magic' ability works. For very high-accuracy weapons like aforementioned 'precision' and 'always hits', I could make it deflect 1/3 of damage dealt back to attackers (instead of 2/3 which in this case would be reserved for magical (70%) attacks only).
Creator of Era of Magic

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

inferno8 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:41 am Thanks for reporting. I'll investigate that soon.
The problem is that the post advance event doesn't differentiate between a unit that advances from lvl1 to lvl2, or lvl2 to AMLA. this can be fixed by adding a pre advance event that checks whether the unit's "advances_to" value is null, then set a variable which can be checked in post advance.
inferno8 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:41 am I started this from a point of view that more accurate weapons with 'precision' and 'always hits' specials thanks to their high accuracy can avoid the shield completely and hit the wielder directly. For example, lvl3 Summoners' magical circles are impossible to dodge, because they 'encircle' victims so their shields are of no use. The same applies to 'incantation of power, and 'dimensional vortex' attacks with precision specials. Once they hit, the target is helpless.
Sounds reasonable
IPS

Post by IPS »

Tezereth wrote: May 21st, 2022, 6:29 pm Now to go a little further, I think the stats could be something around that :

Tharis frontliner
9-3 blade melee +bleed
7-1 blade ranged
Price: 34g

Advances to: Dark Warlord

Resistances:
15% blade, 20% impact, 10% pierce 20% cold

Dark Warlord
12-3 blade melee +bleed
8-2 blade ranged
XP: 140

Advances to: nothing atm

Resistances:
20% blade, 20% impact, 20% pierce 20% cold
Will do just some slight corrections to the prossed units, and mentioning my opinion.

About the Frontliner I like the idea it gets few more health and 1 more movement than commander. Still, I think that compared to Commander this unit as propossed in overall has lower resistances than commander considering that commander gets a 20% bonus to fire resistance. 5% extra blade resistance with the bleed debuff has to be tested before buffing/adjusting physical resistances. So I'm buffing slightly cold resistance to lv2 and lv3.

Bleed special to be realistic, has to work only againist living units. Similar to poison

Will consider adding a weaker optional pierce melee with first-strike and bleeding special as it is already dealing almost the same blade attack damage as of commander, so I think to help this unit to be more useful adding an extra use to this unit as optional pierce attacker. Who knows, bleed debuff combined of first-strike could work well at defense at applying debuff before being hit.

The unit doesn't rely on much specials and other units of same pricing usually have higher health, physical damage or are just cheaper, so I'm decreasing his price by 1g less. So the 3 melee lv2 melee units in tharis have different lv2 pricing. Edit: wasn't sure but 32g was a bit too low againist certain matchups

Bonus Cold resistance is also more helpful againist mirrored tharis vs tharis matches, but commander can boost lv1 damages.

Tharis Frontliner
9-3 blade melee +bleed
7-3 pierce melee +bleed +first-strike
7-1 blade ranged
Price: 34g --> 33g

Resistances
Unchanged: 15% blade, 20% impact, 10% pierce
Adjusted: 30% cold (10% more)

------------------------------------------------

Dark Warlord
12-3 blade melee +bleed
8-4 pierce melee +bleed +first-strike
8-2 blade ranged
XP: 140 --> 126

Resistances:
Unchanged: 20% blade, 20% impact, 20% pierce
Adjusted: 35% cold resistance (15% more)

I have no real idea what does exactly Warrior Influence, so I'ma not alter unit pricing. Still, I guess it increases melee damage somehow, right?

Unit doesn't rely much on specials, so I lowered a bit the AMLA XP.
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

I started thinking of the idea for the warrior influence to be a boost similar to inspire but being more viable in terms of survivability rather than in terms of offense

"Being respected, they have an ability similar to inspire which boost resistances and damages of nearby allies by 10%"
The ability wouldn’t change even if there’s a level difference, and wouldn’t be stackable.

I quickly had the idea in the first post about the unit but didn’t had a name yet when I wrote it.

I guess the idea could still be discussed as it my not be totally perfect, I don’t know.
IPS

Post by IPS »

About female warriors than Inferno8 was mentioning for tharis xD , I was minding for long ago another advancement for Lv3 witches , which would be named "Matriarch of Pain" which would be just another lv3 advanacement (a 4th lv3 advancement). Still... two levels using a spear as melee option to then use a whip? maybe that could be a better idea for an optional advancement for a lv1 witches into lv2 that in that level uses whip weapon to then become Matriarch of Pain, problem is that the name matches too similar to the other 3 and I wanted for like 2 weeks this thing :hmm:

Whatever,
Matriarch of Pain uses a Whip, giving tharis another melee unit that deals impact damage type as not in all situations hydras are efficient to use specially in large randomly generated maps unless the map has tons of swamp tiles.

Propossed stats for lv3 Matriarch of Pain

Matriarch of Pain
Advances from: Mistress of Pain
HP: 48
Whip 7-5 impact melee +first-strike +lesser-revenge
Whip 6-5 blade melee +first-strike +lesser-revenge
Pain 4-5 fire ranged +first-strike +skilled +drains
Pain 4-5 impact ranged +first-strike +skilled +drains
XP: 126
Price: 55g

Specials: pain absorb
Everytime an allied or enemy unit takes damage next to this unit, will heal this unit by 1 HP.

Resistances:
10% to blade / impact / arcane
20% to pierce
30% to fire / cold

Unit review:
This unit can of take a lot of damage and not healing as much as Matriarch of Emptyness if fighting alone. Still, can be healed multiple times if allied or enemy units takes damage next to her. Her ranged damage is not very different from lv1 except with the addition of an impact component and pain absorb they can get some healing even when attacking mechanical or undead units. She's HIGHLY dangerous to low defense berserkers like steam ulfsekers at being the hardest counter to this type of units and as long she can hit, she's highly dangerous to any berserk unit.

Strong trait matriach of pain is highly dangeorus. From all matriarch is the one with weakest ranged but still can make some use of ranged attack.

Edit: added lesser-revenge to lv3 melee, so she has at least 60% hit chance when defending, but substracted 2 less HP to her total.

Don't know if there can be a lv2 variation which could rework this unit to be an optional advancement of lv1 witches and making this variation to level up into a Matriarch of Pain which would not be a bad idea, complishes Inferno8 wishes about a female melee warrior and provide early lv2 extra impact damage making tharis not depending on Hydras to have signficant impact damage type.

So I think it can be a good idea adding a lv2 melee variation of Matriarch of Pain. Let's now talk about Pain Mistress :P

Pain Mistress (or Mistress of Pain) Lv2
HP: 42
Whip 7-4 impact melee +first-strike +pain-absorb(1)
Whip 5-4 blade melee +first-strike +pain-absorb(1)
Pain 3-5 fire ranged +first-strike +skilled +drains
Pain 3-5 impact ranged +first-strike +skilled +drains
XP: 95
Price: 32g

Advances to: Matriarch of Pain

Resistances:
10% to blade / impact / arcane
20% to fire / cold / pierce

We talked the most relevant of this unit already in her advanacement, but, she's a more melee focused unit than witches with one extra movement but low in health so her use is more offensive. She has the exact same ranged damage she used to have in lv1 but with the addition of first-strike, the unit is LOW in stats, butconsider that getting a strong/resilent or having one of the two traits make this unit signifnicantly deadly.

Pain Mistress description:
While most witches strengths their bond with darkness, some other focuses more in vinculating themselves with the pain they cause. They exchange their seremonial curved spears by a new weapon that only this caste uses: the whip. Whip proves that after few training their extra close range allows them to strike first in most situations. While dark witches uses black magic to cast their iconic fire, Painmistresses act much faster using other method at aiming directly the nerves causing instant pain which they enjoy of it.

Edit: Lv2 gets Pain absorb (1) in their melee, which means they will get healed by 1 HP everytime they succesfully hit with their whips.
Attack special they lose later in lv3 as it becomes a passive aura that appart of working on her melee will work in any attack she has as well if allied or enemy units get hurt around her.