Heindals Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
alex23

Re: Five Fates, Strange Legacy and Trapped Images

Post by alex23 »

ah i didnt know that you made trapped and five fates - really grate games, I enjoyed noth of them very much (and I used some of your blood elves in my own campaign, I hope you dont matter) :D
alex23

Post by alex23 »

Hmm heres a new Zombiemaid (yours looked abit awkward^^) :D
Attachments
not really good but a bit better
not really good but a bit better
Zombiemaid.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for that, I cut the zombiemaid out of the icon I made earlier, thats why there are black borders.
(I really should save the base drawings not just the finals) I also made a portrait for her ^^.

Ah and of course you can use the death elven. The advantage is that I already made some portraits for them and that they are fully animated.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Re: Heindals Art

Post by Heindal »

Well now for the science fiction art. I made two factions which are completly animated. Due to the amount of images the quality has suffered a lot, as I did the animations alone. I know that I broke some rules concerning the animation guidelines, but I was happy to make the experience to really look into how unit animation is done.
Attachments
Free2.png
Free1.png
Syndicate.png
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think that there are some WML tricks you might want to learn. For example in the case of shadow_defend.png, you can add transparency using the WML code. In this case, extra arguments to the [frame] tag might do it even better, the alpha property (described in AnimationWML) can make the unit become transparent progressively.

Also, ImagePathFunctionWML might help you to create visually different units without making new unit types (just changed with [object], using the apply_to=image_mod effect). This is by the way the method I used to create the frankengenerator in World of Wesnoth, the image is constructed by putting body parts together using strings like the following as image name:

Code: Select all

misc/blank-hex.png~BLIT(character/base/base-female.png~BLIT(character/armor/robe-female.png~O(50%))~BLIT(character/base/human-female.png)~BLIT(character/weapons/sword.png~CS(-100,-100,-100))~BLIT(character/armor/shield.png~GS()))
Sorry if the stuff I wrote here is inappropriate for Art Worshop.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Maybe its offtopic, but this is helpful. The main problem of these arguments is that it increases the trial and error effect, which means changing the code and loading a scenario again. With photoshop I can create an image that looks good and how I wanted it to look like. But I don't have some kind of preview concerning when using these functions.

However as ~blit seems to be able to generate an overlay I might use this for my inventory concept to show the images of an equipped item.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Heindal wrote:The main problem of these arguments is that it increases the trial and error effect, which means changing the code and loading a scenario again.
No. Well, maybe until now.

I have just made an add-on named Image loading tester that allows you to practice it with ease, just install it, turn on the debug mode and write lua wesnoth.image_test() into the console. It will open a nice window where you write image paths and it shows the result it produces.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Finally some recolor jobs! I like this idea. I would defintely recommend less saturation for the red and pink parts. Maybe more contrast and more light for the hair. Purpose would be to get the average lighter, the highlights much lighter and to keep a black outline.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Currently tried to make a portrait for the scarecrows. This is a frankensteined-recolor job.
Scarecrow.png
Scarecrow.png (171.83 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Scarecrow2.png
Scarecrow2.png (214.78 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I've made some new units and I couldn't resist to add new portraits for them as well.

The Schildwall is an orc unit that delays the units, instead of making damage. It has a slowing attack, remarkable resistance and hitpoints.
It can evolve into a Guardian, who even has a regenerate ability. The portrait and the unit pictures are no big deal, but I had to do a little re-coloration.
Schildwall.png
Schildwall.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
Schildwall.png
Schildwall.png (150.04 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
I've wanted to create several new saurian units. For this purpose I made an unarmed civilian, it's no big deal, but maybe someone else could use it.
saurian_civilian.png
saurian_civilian.png (194.11 KiB) Viewed 5362 times

The lurker unit is a saurian assassin, who can hide on swamp tiles, has hit and run abilities. In exchange he does less damage than the Saurian Ambusher, which was used as the prototype for this unit. I also gave him skirmisher, which might be overpowered.
lurker.png
lurker.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
lurker.png
lurker.png (198.78 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

To keep the sizes small, here are some of the new recolor jobs I've made for my death elf faction.
recolor-jobs.png
It was fun to make some new portraits as well, some of them are dark versions of the heroes in Five Fates.
(please note, naga hunter is not my work, it was just kind of in the middle of it :P)

The Blitzguard and the machine dwarf are franks of dwarf of dwarf zombies and original dwarf units.
new_portraits.png
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I made different types of fish, for my new fishing mechanics, which can be catched while fishing. At first I wanted to use placeholders, but decided to invest a little time on Monday evening to draw them. I did not spent much time, but tried to make the fish recogniseable. Quite satisfied with the results, even so some could be better. Hope you like them.
Fish.png
And ... you need a place where you sell and buy your fish, so here it is.
Fishmarket.png
hermestrismi

Re:

Post by hermestrismi »

Heindal wrote: March 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm These are my first tries for campaign pictures, used for the death elven fraction of Five Fates. I used original game pictures and changed them in photoshop. The machinedwarf is just a tryout, I will improve them later.
I used many of that in my addon. I really appreciated them
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you hermestrismi,

I hope you like the images. It was a lot of work to make them. It would be a shame if they would just appear in one campaign.

Kind regards

Heindal
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Heindal wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 5:00 pm Thank you hermestrismi,

I hope you like the images. It was a lot of work to make them. It would be a shame if they would just appear in one campaign.

Kind regards

Heindal
Since I always intended to make all units have portraits (even if it is not completely related to the unit in some extent ) , your works really helped me a lot . The good thing is I have a lot of campaigns in my addon and a huge number of races with even some images and texts with imaginary languages from here and there. the bad news is I lost track of the original artists (although all of the portraits are from umc and forum). So, if you have time, can you check the addon Ressources (the dark master full pack images02 in bfw 1.17) and tell me which ones are yours so that I add them to the credits files?
and, while doing so, if you are willing to do, if you find that you have some more coherent portraits for the units (especially those with no portraits, yet), can you send them to me?