Help with DiD: Alone at Last

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cocytus

Help with DiD: Alone at Last

Post by Cocytus »

Hallo all,

I'm in a bit of trouble with DiD: Alone at Last, version 1.6.2, normal, starting with 200 gold.

I've got a Draug, 2 Bone Archers, 2 Nightgaunts, a Spectre, a Necrophage and 2 Dark Sorcerers in my recall list. However, when I try to retrieve the book, it seems that Darken Volk wanders over to Cadaeus' base and gets himself murdered, leaving it surrounded by Paladins. By the time I take them all out, most of my forces are dead, and Dela is throwing everything she has at me. I just can't survive to get the book back to my castle.

I'd be much obliged for any strategic recommendations anyone has to offer!

Edit: I'd like to point out that the walkthrough suggests killing Dela when she arrives, but she is actually invincible. Boo!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
denelic

Re: Help with DiD: Alone at Last

Post by denelic »

I tricked the AI myself (not hard to do). I ignored all recalls on this map for starters.

I then held off buying anything but a couple of bats as scouts to grab quick income. Waited a few turns then recruited skeletons (both types). Ran one of the archers straight at him to draw him from his keep while his units suicide on the paladins. I then killed him quickly in the open, grabbed the book and ran. The key is to give him an easy low risk kill so he is closer to you. If you have to I would throw a couple of easy kills and draw him onto the bridge.

Finished the game right after Dela arrived.
Cocytus

Post by Cocytus »

Thanks very much, sounds like a very viable strategy! I have exams at the moment, so I won't have time to try it out until the weekend. Thank you again.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
Dragon-on

Post by Dragon-on »

I've tried all three suggested strategies numerous times. I think this is harder on the easier setting, because the Paladin army doesn't show up until turn 7. By then, I'm already hurting and struggling with distracting Darken Volk's army. The closest I came was once, with the "go straight north" strategy where I actually managed to get Malin the book and start running. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough for those damn mugger-dudes his sister has.

This board is impossible for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Zalminen

Post by Zalminen »

Well, I was successful with the following strategy:

I recalled all my good units and made a fighting line in front of my base.
Darken's units came, attacked and on my turn I punched through the units in the middle. I then made a fast attack and killed Darken with Nightgaunts right around the time when the paladin guy arrived.
I got the book with Malin and then just ran back using most of my other units to slow the enemy, concentrating on taking out the fastest units first (paladins). I lost several high-level units but considered them a fair price to pay for getting out alive.

I'd add a replay but I'm not at home right now...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Dragon-on wrote: This board is impossible for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
In the scenario review thread, the scenario maintainer says that it will be rebalanced for future versions. And also there I noted that the scenario is probably harder on easy than on hard. For additional strategy tips, see the walkthrough, but there's no shame if you can't beat this scenario as is.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

For the time being, try noting where Dela's keep is, and sticking a unit there around when she spawns. This will prevent her from recruiting, as long as the unit can hold her off. If you use a Wraith or Spectre, it might hold her off indefinitely. This is a workaround for her invulnerability, which is a fix for the strategy of killing her :roll:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I got through this on normal by sending two nightgaunts to kill Darken in the north, with Malin as a backup. I let Darken's units take over the map, using Skeleton archers/WCs/Vampire bats as bait and distraction. I placed a nightgaunt on the place where Dela would spawn, and had Malin (after getting the book) run like mad to his castle. I lost all the cannon fodder units, but had my two nightgaunts still alive by the end of the scenario. It was strange since after Darken's units banzai charged the Paladin's units at day (!) and were promptly overrun, the paladins just hung around in the middle of the map. If he had charged at me I would have lost. I wasn't sure if I was just lucky or it was a bug.
Nobody_III

Post by Nobody_III »

Everything is different without dark adepts now, and I've managed to get through the previous scenarios on default difficulty with a lot of retries, but I have never come anywhere close with this scenario. How am I supposed to complete the campaign, particularly this scenario, without dark adepts/dark sorcerers/liches/necromancers?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nobody_III wrote: April 13th, 2022, 1:20 am How am I supposed to complete the campaign?
With a bunch of spectres. My "strategy" for this scenario was knowing that two spectres were enough to get to the end of the campaign, and not worrying about what other units survived.

You probably should have made your own post instead of bringing back a 12-year-old thread, BTW.
Attachments
DiD-Alone at Last replay 20210821.bz2
(37.34 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide