Looking for help to translate in Hungarian, Slovak, Galician, Vietnamese, Estonian, Indonesian

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

demario

Looking for help to translate in Hungarian, Slovak, Galician, Vietnamese, Estonian, Indonesian

Post by demario »

Project "liberté" to boost localization support
"Liberté" is something to fight for (freedom ^_^ ), it is also a campaign from Wesnoth (Liberty). It is hereby a project to support translation.

The goal of this project is to make existing translations for outdated versions of mainline campaigns available on the main add-on server.
This target only applies to the languages where the version of the campaign is far from being fully translated in the release of BFW 1.16.

The first milestone is reached today with the upload of Liberty campaign (1.14 version) with full translation in [edit] Dutch (nl), Catalan (ca),[/edit] French (fr), German (de), Portuguese (pt). [edit] and CN Chinese (translation up-to-date on server 1.16 now)[/edit]

I am looking for volunteers to update the translation in the following languages:

- Serbian (sr), only 3 untranslated strings
- Finnish (fi), only 4 untranslated strings
- Greek (el), only 4 untranslated strings
[edit] Since release of "Chào mừng đến với Wesnoth!", I don't plan to support translation in Galician, Slovak and Vietnamese. [/edit]
[edit-2] Since release of "Selamat Datang di Wesnoth!", I don't plan to support translation in Indonesian, Estonian and Hungarian. Thanks. [/edit-2]

When the campaign (in the old version) is 100% translated in your language, the translation will be added to the "Liberté (1.14)" add-on for download.

If you're interested to help made the campaign available on the add-on server in one of these language, please step forward. i have posted below the related strings and I will take care of intricacies of po file editing. Having a second person for a language is good too in case we need a backup or a review.
Last edited by demario on May 26th, 2022, 8:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
demario

Looking for help to release old "Liberty" in Hungarian,...

Post by demario »

If you contribute a translation or a modification of a fuzzy, quote the original message and put your translation inside the truetype ([tt]<HERE>[/tt]) on the line matching your language. Please help by either clearing the text from unchanged lines or by spelling out where you made your change (string, language).
How to read this list?
  • The sections are headed with underlined English text. That's the string to translate.
  • Names of people and places are usually not translated: Baldras, Dallben, Delwyn, Relana... (exception are listed below, from what I inferred)
  • List of languages. The list is limited to the languages that need work for this string.
    Languages in plain case need translation;
    Languages in italic case need translation review;
    Languages in bold case are done for this string.
  • The list will be update based on progress. When a language is in bold for all strings, it is ready(*) to be put on the add-on server.

(*) in languages with untranslated strings, some more fuzzies (around 20) need to be cleared before upload.
Here are the strings to work on:

Fearing that the Queen’s army would return in force in the wake of its fallen patrol, Baldras and his men fled Dallben. They tracked to Delwyn and sent ahead for the magistrate, Relana, to meet them in a secluded strath in the swamps.
Names:
  • Baldras -> el Μπάλντρας, sr Балдрас
  • Dallben -> el Ντάλμπεν, sr Далбен
  • Delwyn -> el Ντάλγουιν, sr Делвину
  • Relana -> el Ρελάνα, sr Релана
- Finnish (fi):
- Greek (el):
- Serbian (sr):

As morning dawned over the day after next, they found Relana already waiting for them.
Names:
  • Relana -> el Ρελάνα, sr Релана
- Finnish (fi):
- Greek (el):
- Serbian (sr):

Remember that in fog, units always see one hex further than they can move.
- Finnish (fi):
- Greek (el):
- Serbian (sr):

Could not convert a $stored_changers[$i].type, please report!
  • NB: the part $stored_changers[$i].type should not be translated and will be substituted with a translated content. Put it at the right place in your translated text. Example: "Konnte $stored_changers[$i].type nicht konvertieren. Bitte Berichtet dieses Problem!"
- Finnish (fi):
- Greek (el):
- Serbian (sr):
Last edited by demario on June 1st, 2022, 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
demario

Re: Looking for help to release old "Liberty" in Hungarian...

Post by demario »

Some progress on this with Catalan (català) and Dutch (Nederlands) added to the list of translation that are recovered from BFW1.14.

An old version of Liberty is playable in these language by downloading "Liberté (1.14)" add-on from the server.
It seems they are the last languages that can be fully recovered for that campaign from 1.14.

[edit] Another shot at this has been put on the server in add-on "Tulesau (1.14)" that bring a recovered 1.14 version of the "Sceptre of Fire" to 1.16 with full translations in French (fr), Catalan (ca), Portuguese (pt), Japanese (ja), Polish (pl), Taiwan Chinese (zh_TW), Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR), Russian (ru), Spanish (es). [edit2] The translations will be removed as they get completed in BFW 1.16 branch. As a new release with full translation doesn't mean everyone will upgrade, I will keep the translations for the people sticking to the old versions. [/edit2] [/edit]

Here is some general information on past translations for Liberty:
Liberty translation stats for BFW-1.12.6
liberty.l10n-1.12.6.png
Liberty translation stats for BFW-1.14.17
liberty.l10n-1.14.17.png
Liberty translation stats for BFW-1.16.2
liberty.l10n-1.16.2.png
Working backwards, there is a clear pattern of 1.16 translations with [61-63] fuzzies and [244-247] untranslated strings. That's 14 languages, from German to Finnish, with only 121-126 translated strings out of 426 which make them unplayable for speakers of these languages. The similar numbers are not due to strange effect of randomness but from the application of a process that results in making these translations systematically obsolete.

If we look at the stats in the previous version (1.14.17 from June 2021), some of the languages were fully translated (de, fr, pt, nl, ca, zh_CN).
If we look further down the list, there are another 13 languages that are only missing 0-4 untranslated strings (and 4-21 fuzzies). That was originally the help I asked for in the previous posts.

Now looking at the version before that (1.12.6 from May 2016), we see that these languages were fully translated (sk) or pretty close to be (1 untranslated and [1-3] fuzzy strings). As the experience shows that many fuzzies often come from syntax, typo, formatting in US English that require no change in translations.
Last edited by demario on April 15th, 2023, 6:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
demario

Re: Chào mừng đến với | Selamat Datang di | Wesnoth! (need help in Vietnamese, Indonesian...)

Post by demario »

After checking the past statistics of translation, I have decided to try another direction for this project in Vietnamese, Slovak and Galician.

I have put on the server the add-on "Chào mừng đến với Wesnoth! (Welcome to Wesnoth)" that brings all 1.12 campaigns (UTBS excluded) to 1.16. It comes with full translation in Galician, Slovak and Vietnamese. The campaigns are defined inside a core, which requires a bit of setup to be started. An explanation on how to start a core is illustrated here. The core to run the campaigns with translations is "Chào mừng (Wesnoth 1.12)".

I was not able to test/play roughly 250 scenarios in this release (anyone who can help with that is welcome), so I limited the changes from the original code as much as I could. As such, the scenarios will feel older in this add-on than how they do in "Liberté (1.14)" and "Tulesau (1.14)".

I could not load so many campaigns with pictures included so I used references to the current mainline images. Some may be broken.

You will still find some English strings. If you would like to avoid that, please contribute to translations in Vietnamese (vi), Slovak (sk) or Galician (gl) for text domains wesnoth and wesnoth-lib in the version 1.16. Of course, using this add-on in any other language than the listed three is making little sense (old code, old story, other translations not included).

[edit] A second instance of this solution is put on the add-on server: the add-on "Selamat Datang di Wesnoth! (Welcome to Wesnoth)" is bringing all 1.10 campaigns (UTBS excluded) to 1.16 with full translation in Indonesian, Estonian and Hungarian. It comes with a new core "Selamat (Wesnoth 1.10)" that can be activated the same way. If you would like to avoid finding some strings in English, please contribute to translations in Indonesian (id), Estonian (et) or Hungarian (hu) for text domains wesnoth and wesnoth-lib in the version 1.16. [/edit]

[edit-2] Another instance of this solution is put on the add-on server: the add-on "Bienvenue à Wesnoth ! (Welcome to Wesnoth)" is bringing four 1.14 campaigns (DID, Liberty, SoF, THoT) to 1.16 with full translation in French, German, Catalan (and Polish, Portuguese, Dutch for a subset of them). It comes with a new core "Bienvenue (Wesnoth 1.14)" that can be activated the same way.
Consequently the add-ons "Liberté (1.14)" and "Tulesau (1.14)" have been removed from the server. [/edit-2]

Don't forget to switch back to the "Default" core when you want to go back to the standard settings (eg. before joining the MP server).
Last edited by demario on June 5th, 2022, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
demario

Re: Chào mừng đến với | Selamat Datang di | Wesnoth! (need help in Vietnamese, Indonesian...)

Post by demario »

For the people who can't find how to use these languages (Hungarian, Slovak, Vietnamese, Estonian, Indonesian) after the add-on is installed: the game filters out all languages that do not reach 80% of coverage in translation on a selection of #textdomains. So you can't select these languages from the user interface.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to edit the game configuration to boost your language translation coverage:
- go to the game data directory (Game data shows after pressing the [ i ] button on the main title screen)
- edit in notepad the file data/languages/*.cfg corresponding to your language (for example data/languages/vi_VN.cfg)
- change the last line to percent=80 and save
- start the game again
- now your language (for example "Tiếng Việt") is available in the language selection

Or you can specify that you want all languages listed as an option when starting the game (for windows, replace --editor by --all-translations in this walk-through).

[edit]
I think I got that one covered now
If you encounter the following error when trying to load the core:

Code: Select all

Error loading custom game configuration files. The game will fallback to the default core files.

Details:

unit type not found: Dune Alchemist
then you have a conflict with an add-on that is installed. This add-on might be "Reign of the Lords".
You will need to delete it to load the core without problem.
[/edit]