Wesnoth Bingo

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashmyr

Wesnoth Bingo

Post by Ashmyr »

Hey ^^

I was thinking of creating a Wesnoth Bingo game. You could play this when going through a mainline campaign, on play-alongs or co-op campaigns, or when watching a streamer or someone.

However, I've encountered a few issues.

1. Squares. I need more ideas for squares, someone suggested "Map Secrets", and some of the squares may be too similar or repetitive.
2. Distribution. I need some way to distribute this game so people can play it online, and some method of randomization with the squares.

If anyone has suggestions let me know!

Here's a Wesnoth bingo card draft, attached below. If anyone has suggestions, thoughts or questions let me know and I'll try my best to answer.
Attachments
Untitled drawing (7).png
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Wesnoth Bingo

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Distribution. I need some way to distribute this game so people can play it online, and some method of randomization with the squares.
Code it and release the output as a game UI web app :v
Spoiler:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

This would be very cool, here are some ideas I have:

- There is a scenario where you cannot recruit
- You get separated from your army
- There is a "Survive for X turns" scenario
- One of your protagonists dissapears on one scenario
- There is a story text screen without an image
- You get a free healer unit
It all started when I speedran wesnoth...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I wonder if all these suggestion can be fed in an array/list and then a bingo generated from elements of said array/list (with no repeats of course).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 28th, 2022, 11:00 am I wonder if all these suggestion can be fed in an array/list and then a bingo generated from elements of said array/list (with no repeats of course).
I once programmed a song randomizer in C (yeah basic C) that did something similar, the only problem is that it would be preferable to have an UI you can click, and that would be the hardest part I think.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Should the BINGO cards be in a hex rather than a square? :hmm:
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:34 am Code it and release the output as a game UI web app :v
Descacharrado wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:19 am This would be very cool, here are some ideas I have:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 28th, 2022, 11:00 am I wonder if all these suggestion can be fed in an array/list and then a bingo generated from elements of said array/list (with no repeats of course).
Beware what you wish for, because you might just get it :twisted:
Here's a small bingo card generator, coded by myself in 100% organic, fat-free and GMO-free HTML, CSS and Javascript (no external libraries or dependencies). Open it in your browser, if you don't like the squares you get refresh the page, daub (or clear) the squares by clicking on them. To save the result as image just take a screenshot.
I've just created a monster in 150 lines of code, haven't I?
Attachments
wesnoth-bingo.zip
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 30th, 2022, 10:06 am Beware what you wish for, because you might just get it :twisted:
Here's a small bingo card generator, coded by myself in 100% organic, fat-free and GMO-free HTML, CSS and Javascript (no external libraries or dependencies). Open it in your browser, if you don't like the squares you get refresh the page, daub (or clear) the squares by clicking on them. To save the result as image just take a screenshot.
I've just created a monster in 150 lines of code, haven't I?
Thank you so much! Could you add these to the BINGO card generator you made?
- Cave scenario
- Unit who is about to level up is killed
Novice campaign creator.
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 30th, 2022, 10:06 am
Beware what you wish for, because you might just get it :twisted:
That is super cool! good job!! :D
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ashmyr wrote: January 30th, 2022, 6:29 pm Could you add these to the BINGO card generator you made?
Done, and thank you all for trying it!
Attachments
wesnoth-bingo-2.zip
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:19 pm Done, and thank you all for trying it!
Slight typo I noticed.."Evil saurian who likes monkey as an enemy"

Pretty sure there aren't any mainline campaigns with monkeys :P

Otherwise, I love it and will be using it. I'm trying to think of more player dependent squares though. Like a unit missing..it could help a short campaign get a BINGO or one that doesn't hit tropes often get a BINGO, but some players may be irritated by having to play through..but where's the fun in that?
Novice campaign creator.
DaSmartezt

Post by DaSmartezt »

Hey Elvish_Hunter! I really liked the work you did! I extended it to allow for saving/loading specific boards, across sessions, and I thought I should share it here! I tend to overcomplicate projects and I don't have much experience with HTML/CSS, but this was fun!
Attachments
Wesnoth Bingo 2.0-D.zip
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Hey! I just wrote this up to help with the various types of spaces. I hope it sounds good and I hope it makes sense. Thank you all for your help on this.
Attachments
Bingo Guide.txt
(7.97 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Novice campaign creator.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

DaSmartezt wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:30 am Hey Elvish_Hunter! I really liked the work you did! I extended it to allow for saving/loading specific boards, across sessions, and I thought I should share it here! I tend to overcomplicate projects and I don't have much experience with HTML/CSS, but this was fun!
Thank you! Adding saving and loading wasn't even planned, but it's useful anyway.
Here's a new version: I replaced the single quotes with the same typographical double quotes used by Myrian, improved the layout of the center square and made the squares use the flexbox display instead of table/table-cell (the card itself is still using the grid display). I also moved the style sheet outside the main HTML file, replaced h3 with h2 (you're supposed to use them in sequence starting with h1) and made the headings sans-serif. Oh, and I fixed myself suddenly becoming Elvish_Archer...
Attachments
Wesnoth Bingo 2.0.1.zip
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

Hi all! I took a look at the "app" and realised that before playing I needed to pick a campaign, but if I picked it after getting the card I would be biased, so I added a random campaign generator button, this is my first time looking at js or http code so good job, you taught me something today!
Attachments
Wesnoth Bingo 2.1.zip
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 44 times