Hearts of the North - Campaign Cycle [1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stereo

Re: Hearts of the North - Campaign Cycle [1.16]

Post by Stereo »

Hello fable_lake, I really enjoyed The Demon of our Ourselves and (for me) you put the the bar very high for the next stories; I read the stories (in the cfg archives, I hope my comment counts) of Distant Memory, Memory of Wrath, Ray Amongs Shadows and this is my point of view of the first: in Distant Memory I assumed from the title that the story would end in a sad ending but surprisingly it was not like that, I feel what the main character act like a teenager trying to love (and runaway) a person that her goal is in something personal and to achieve it she does not mind hurting the character, I expected the main character would mature as he approached the end of the story and at the revelation that he would make the decisions with a calm mind and choose to continue after that love and accept the risks or let her be happy because he cannot be with a person who is to hurt him or not take into account their feelings. And the decision of she to love and drop her goal feel forced to me, better the guy after thinking accept to help in her quest or the girl asking him to help her in her search and the conclusion let it be an open ending. In The Demon of Ourselves the parents of the protagonist of DM have a strong character and become responsible while their son abandon his family, puts his life at risk for a person who hurts him and not even he realizes the seriousness of the situation and in the final not have matured.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello again, first I have to say what making a campaign of Crelanu is a Great idea, I see with frecuency campaigns what include Mal Keshar, Kalenz and the Book of Crelanu but what about of the person behind of the objet, but at the same time you have a great task to write a good story for him, The bearer and autor of the Book with immense knowledge (and power); well what I came for is for a review of Melody of Wrath (I really like your work but I feel what you can polish more the stories): First, the main char are talking to himself (I remembered the scene of Gollum talking to himself) and for me are a common cliché, "one have a bad side that push to become the bad and similar", I think what in the first scenarios the "voice" must apparently help the protagonist, and for the time being not by inciting hatred, as if the main character has a just cause to defend but does not know that it is wrong, that is because in the final don´t liked the choice of the main char, feel what him are guilty and using the excuse of the "voice that convinced me to make harm" but with the change at least he are taking the choices. For me Togru stole the show, accompanying a person who was only a latent danger, trying to guide him as his friend; for me, he (the main character) didn't deserve that friend. And Alavara... I think that you should make Lliwen more likeable, in the story parts include drawings of helping, celebrating with the people he loves the most or include small anecdotes that make him more human because How Alavara can love a guy only thinking in kill the first person what see?, a guy what are capable of killing him friend?, with the changes that I propose, Alavara's final decision becomes more coherent and it does not feel that in the end the bad guy (Lliwen) despite what he did, ends up rewarded. And I think what you can make 2 more scenarios because the campaign feel short; I am bringing feedback of the old version of the campaigns, I am waiting a version with few bugs of Wesnoth portable to play the new version, sorry to not post before, I have a lot of things to attend to and I know it's frustrating not to have people who give you comments to improve the work done, I would have liked to support different campaigns but the problem is time; well expect what my feedback help you, thanks.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hello!

In the beginning, I'm glad you like HOTN and decided to write. It's nice to be able to share some thoughts even though I'm a bit busy lately.

Little About Distant Memory
Spoiler:

As for the story of Crelanu past, it is in the process of sketching and writing. It will be an important part of the Cycle (One of eight fully planned) and it will be called Silent Voice. It will show the young mage's struggle to flee from the Green Isle, his personal life and discover of secrets of the first council of the Wesnoth Archmages, their transformation into the Ten Divine Worship, the reason why Alduin's academy was founded, and the beginning of a civil war on a magical level between the Rebel Mage Group of Crelanu and the Shadow Mage Group led by Fingland. I will also try to present the mentioned final duel in Distant Memory between Crelanu and Fingland and soaking by Crelanu ten crystals and finally the image of the unjust exile of the defender of the humans to the north.

Of course, this full story will have a lot more content, and I have a lot of hope in creating it. It was just an additional hint for the future from my side. Each part is to show its own realities and the events taking place in them are dictated by the conditions of its time (Era, there are five main eras: Era of Oblivion is started by the end of MOW story, Era of Storms, events of Legend of Koar takes place in it, Era of Warning, Era of Uncernaity, TDOOO end it and is followed by RAS, Era of Goodness, DM takes place in it and Six Raven Jewels, and yet not described Era of Rebirth) Explaining each part that I have written so far is very complicated because I have put a lot of work into the plot complexities and symbolism, so detailed explanation is a long process, self-interpretation of the players is also very important and helps me.

Little About Melody of Wrath
Spoiler:

I think the extended version of Melody of Wrath is needed, and I've had plans for it a while now. Improvement of threads will certainly be a plus in the whole and will give me the opportunity to show my literary work.

Whew ... Lots of writing, but I hope to lighten my keynote a bit behind MOW and DM. I hope that if you have any more questions or thoughts, you will decide to share them with me.

I have also fully pack of Lore and some world images for HOTN but it is in refining process now, and it will take some time before I publish it officialy.

I really recommend in future playing the latest version on 1.16 With each new update the Cycle is getting more and more polished.

Finally, thank you for taking your time and writing a detailed opinion here. I really appreciate it and for this purpose, while writing this text, I wanted my answer to be comprehensive and thorough.
Last edited by fable_lake on January 21st, 2022, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello fable lake, thanks for answering; well... I understand what you not change the behavior of Lisam (DM) because you explained what him are a romantic lover (how like when one love a person for first time) and in the future I will check it again; with respect of Melody of Wrath I like what you in the future are making a scenario explaining the relationship of the two main characters. And you plan write more stories, wow... You are on fire!; Really glad what the Crelanu story are in process, I wish you the best because I feel what Hearts of the North deserves more attention from players I hope I have helped you improve; tomorrow I bring feedback of the story of Ray among Shadows.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello again, how I promised I bring feedback of the orc campaign; I think what you can make Drakan less a "fanatic" what who belittles anyone who turns down his offer; I've read that the orcs under his mandate left their vices but what else? They continue with their tendency to eliminate each other, I don't see that Drakan is a strategist, he only believes in a cause and launches without further ado; with all the problem about kinship, are you trying to say that in the end you build who you are? because otherwise I'm more dizzy than the protagonist. As a recommendation you can read Chab Abki's Legend of far north story for Wesnoth 1.12 (you can download the portable version), for me it's good because there Karun is skillful enough to unite the orcs unlike Kapou'e who thinks of destroy everything it sees (and Drakan follows in those footsteps); as a last suggestion to make 1 or 2 scenarios showing the change that Drakan goes through after knowing the truth and it is not "accept what I propose or die", thanks for reading.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

It's nice that you decided to give me the opportunity to explain a lot of things again. When it comes to Ray Among Shadows, it is, like all the parts, a deep part of the Cycle that is of great importance for the whole.

Little About Ray Among Shadows

Spoiler:

I hope I was able to show the purpose of Ray Among Shadows and the importance of the meaning of many things in it. I myself consider the RAS to be a complete story because its task was not to show the gradual gaining of power with the orcs and territories, but rather on a deeper aspect of these very events in Hearts of the North Universe. This was a little explanation about the storyline of RAS however there is still much to say.

Thank you again for your interest in my work and for giving me the opportunity to share this important information because I believe that in this way everyone will be able to see at least a bit of what I am trying to convey in each part. I hope that I managed to answer some questions that may arise after getting to know Ray Among Shadows for the first time.
Last edited by fable_lake on January 29th, 2022, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello fable_lake, thanks for answering; I now understand better RAS. With respect of Kapou'e, I see him like a common orc, kill, kill and kill but him father Karun make honor of the description of a orcish leader, I used Drakan and Kapou'e (and the problem with him will be corrected by the Wesnoth team) as a comparison with Karun but with what you explained I understand better what you wanted to achieve. I think with Ray among Shadows you returned to the style of TDOO, something that is not seen in many campaigns and that is good; thanks for reading my comments and I will wait to play it.