Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

StellarStar

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by StellarStar »

I'm playing 1.14 so I dont know if its adressed, but I would like a way to recruit Dark Adepts. Currently the lich line is only accsesible if you have legacy of undeath, and Arch Necromancer only if you pick a side in part 1
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

2 Questions:
Firstly, if in chapter 6 Lethalia's route is chosen, is there a way to obtain a duke?

Secondly, it seems that lesser nightstalk doesn't work as intended. It mentions forests and hills but there's several variants where you can't hide even if it's at night (for example the forests in jungle hell, the thick forests in Fimbulwinter) I found it weird because looking at Fimbulwinter, it works perfectly fine with the thinner forests. Does anybody know what's going on/how to fix it?
Ilja

Post by Ilja »

Hello!
I love this campaign, it is brillant! Thanks to all of you!

Can somebody explain me what "select weapon for retaliation" means? Could not find an explanation. Thx!
dabber

Post by dabber »

In chapter 6, if you pick Lethalia, you cannot get a Duke.
I think it is intentional that lesser nightstalk only works in "normal" forests, and not in other forest variants.
Select weapon for retaliation is an awesome option that lets you disable some attacks when the enemy attacks you. For example, maybe you would always rather use the magic slow spell when attacked because that will reduce damage you take, even though using fireball would do more damage to the enemy.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dabber wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:44 pm Select weapon for retaliation is an awesome option that lets you disable some attacks when the enemy attacks you. For example, maybe you would always rather use the magic slow spell when attacked because that will reduce damage you take, even though using fireball would do more damage to the enemy.
I've never tried it, but I wonder if this could be used to protect a unit with berserk from being induced into using berserk on defense?

I would think that if a unit has two melee attacks, and only one is berserk and disabled for retaliation, then the other would always be used on defense. But I wonder what happens if the unit has just one melee attack, with berserk and disabled, and is attacked with melee. Does berserk kick in, and the unit simply dies without trying to defend itself? Or does disabling retaliation also disable the berserk? I'd guess (and hope) the latter.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Disable attack gives it "defense weight 0". Plenty of normal attacks have defense weight zero. It just means the AI thinks the attack is terrible on defense (0 effect) and thus never picks it.

You could disable a berserk attack so it won't be suicide. If that is your only attack, then you do no damage on defense. I suppose that isn't so bad, all things considered.
Ilja

Post by Ilja »

Boah it has so much awesome features! thanks!

another question - some units have so many abilities and I cannot check them all in UI - is there any other possibility to check them? like unit description or something?

eg this unit has much more abilities but these are not shown in UI.
maybe if I could disable the mini map there would be more space in UI for the ability descriptions, still not enough but a bit more at least. but could not find an option for this?
Attachments
abilities
abilities
white_haired_uncle

Right click on the unit, choose Items and then Unit Information (or something like that).
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Gosh, disabling a berserker's retaliation, that's strong! Never guessed to try it, it makes things easier if you have berserkers
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

dabber wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:44 pm I think it is intentional that lesser nightstalk only works in "normal" forests, and not in other forest variants.
Why would it be intentional? Also another thing I noticed is that it works on castles but not keeps. Similarly, it works on hills and mountains but not similar hills found in caves.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

ShadowWalker wrote: January 4th, 2022, 6:13 pm In the new version the leadership bonuses (Legacy of the Kings, Royalty, damage aura, regular Leadership) do no longer stack at all. Is that intentional?
Btw, it seems that leaderships stacking is just broken in the whole Wesnoth. I listed leaderships that should be stackable in LotI and they are not in 1.16. I wonder if it affects resistance penetrations and other stuff like that as well
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Ilja

Post by Ilja »

Thank you for the answers!

2 more things I noticed:

- If Efraim is performing whirlwind and killing some enemies, these are not calculated for his soul count.

- Efraim and Lethalia have the skill "Unterwandern" which provides them with 1 further movement point after a kill. At least in the German description is described that the unit is able to kill themself through the enemies with this skill, which is actually not cased. the additional movement point can only be used to move to another field, but not to attack. At least in my version, dont know if it is intential or not.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Ilja wrote: January 29th, 2022, 6:29 pm Thank you for the answers!

2 more things I noticed:

- If Efraim is performing whirlwind and killing some enemies, these are not calculated for his soul count.

- Efraim and Lethalia have the skill "Unterwandern" which provides them with 1 further movement point after a kill. At least in the German description is described that the unit is able to kill themself through the enemies with this skill, which is actually not cased. the additional movement point can only be used to move to another field, but not to attack. At least in my version, dont know if it is intential or not.
As the description of the skill says, it only grant a movement point, it doesn't restore their ability to attack. It basically guarantees that they'll be able to move one hex per turn even if they are surrounded by enemies. If they are able to kill one of said enemies.
white_haired_uncle

Ilja wrote: January 29th, 2022, 6:29 pm
Whirlwind, and other attacks that effect multiple units, are frustratingly inconsistent. For example, at one point, whirlwind with slow and/or poison effected all adjacent enemies, while whirlwind with incinerate or plague only effected the first enemy to be hit (or killed?).

I also wish I understood how the hit chance works. Is it on a per unit basis, or if I hit/miss the "target" unit, do I hit/miss all the others based on that? I always play on ludicrous speed, so I can never tell what's really going on.

As far as the soul eater count goes, I don't mind if I only get one from whirlwind, since almost all of the kills I get with Efraim are on defense anyway.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Whirlwind attacks are always magical, so the hit chance it fixed. For all Area of Affect (AoE) attacks, hitting the primary target is what matters - the first hit creates damage on the other possible targets.

In my own game, I put in some code to track kill counts and total killed levels, separated by offense/defense and tracked for Efraim, Lethalia, and the army. When playing conservatively with the army, Efraim and Lethalia maybe do twice as much damage on defense. But when I let them play like gods, where they wade into levels worth of enemies and slaughter them all, I've seen 5 times the enemies killed on defense vs offense, both in raw count and in total levels.