Drunkards, Dwarves and Doubloons now on 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Drunkards, Dwarves and Doubloons now on 1.18

Post by MathBrush »

Edit: This campaign was formerly known as Knalgans of Steel, and had a lot of silly political commentary. That's been removed in favor of a heist story. The scenarios are the same.

From the creator of A Fiery Birth:

Florel is a human outlaw imprisoned for sticking it to the man. Karmoc is a dwarf trying to evade taxes.

And together they're going to pull off the biggest heist in Wesnoth history!

Knalgans of Steel

Fight goblins and elves, orcs and mermaids, royal armies and the mysterious Dunefolk in this origin story of the Knalgan faction!

Play with all the Knalgan units in a single campaign over 10 scenarios, culminating in an epic 4 on 1 fight.

DwarveVsDrakes.png
DwarvesVsMermaids.png
Opening.png
DwarvesVsOutlaws.png
Last edited by MathBrush on March 2nd, 2024, 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
WackoJacko

Re: Knalgans of Steel - 1.14 Singleplayer Knalgans campaign

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey,
Just started the campaign and thought I would post some early thoughts. I'm playing on Normal and Wesnoth 1.14.8

S3: Crossroads
Spoiler:
Objective states 80% carryover but only 40% is carried over
S4: Cousins
Dialogue
Konry: every few days months --> is it days or months? ;)
Post S4 narration: ...hold thousands of coins worth of gold --> ...hold thousands of gold coins or ...hold gold coins worth thousands
I'm not sure if this is a standard Wesnoth unit or custom, but why does a poacher have a 2 movement cost in the forest?
Same problem with gold carryover, states 80% but only 40% is carried over
S5:
Konry: former future father in law --> former, future father-in-law
Same problem with gold carryover, states 80% but only 40% is carried over
S6: Dung
I think the carryover thing is going to be the same throughout the campaign
Turn limit
Spoiler:
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks! I’ve made your suggested changes, but I’ll wait to push them onto the server until you finish the campaign in case you find more.

I haven’t edited the units, but I have found posts from 2008 or so asking the same question about poachers and forests.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

MathBrush wrote: January 30th, 2020, 12:41 pm I haven’t edited the units, but I have found posts from 2008 or so asking the same question about poachers and forests.
No problem, it's probably a Wesnoth thing i just don't think I ever noticed before :lol:

S7:
Possible bug; the victory objective states
Spoiler:
however victory is achieved if all enemy leaders are defeated
Also, the carryover gold thing is the same :D

EDIT:
S8: Thieves
The carryover works here, says 80% and the carryover is 80%

EDIT 2:
S9: Redhanded
The carryover is reversed here :lol: objectives say 40%, actual reward is 80%

EDIT 3:
Not sure if this is a campaign bug or a Wesnoth bug, but you can't see your statistics from Scenario 2: The Taxman
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.29.31 pm.png

-Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned and I just missed it, but why/when did they start calling themselves "Knalgans"? I know that's what the campaign is meant to be about, but I don't remember there being an explicit bit of dialogue where it was decided.
-Karmoc: for over --> forever
-I feel like the "discovery" of the gold mine was a little cringe-y/forced. Could there not be another cutscene/epilogue? Or could a "scout" be returning with news of a new mine? Or some other plot device?
-Suggestion: adding in a bonus dialogue/action if we manage to keep Konry alive?
-Could there be a line in the objectives stating that this is the last scenario? I know its kinda obvious (no turn limit, plot, lots of enemies, etc) but its always nice to see it stated somewhere :)

EDIT 4:
Overall, good campaign.
-Was well balanced for Normal, maybe slightly easier than expecting for an intermediate campaign (not that I'm complaining)
Spoiler:
-Lack of healers could be annoying for others, but I think that the abundance of villages in each map makes up for it (and it makes sense story wise)
-I feel like the story/plot towards the end could be more fleshed out. In terms of how they got their name, why their base was there, etc...)
-The final scenario is good gameplay wise, but story-wise I feel like it doesn't make sense for all the enemies to be on the same alliance (i.e. they can't attack each other). This should probably be explained in the dialogue somewhere
Spoiler:
MathBrush

Re: Knalgans of Steel - 1.14 Singleplayer Knalgans campaign (Ver 1.1)

Post by MathBrush »

I've uploaded Version 1.1 with changes as suggested by WackoJacko:
  • Campaign setting changed to used pre-existing cities Elsenfar and Aldril, as well as other previously-mapped places. If the campaign needed to be completely consistent with mainline, the only things that would need to be addressed are the presence of Runesmiths (which could be replaced) and perhaps the presence of Dunefolk.
  • Knalgan name explained
  • Gold carryover corrected and stabilized at 40%
  • More dialogue added for Konry, and ending expanded
  • Typos corrected
  • 'Final Scenario' objective added to final scenario
  • Cave level shouldn't be finishable by killing leaders any more
  • In-game explanation given for enemies not attacking each other in final battle
Thanks, WackoJacko!

Edit: Uploaded to 1.15 as well.
dwarftough

Re: Knalgans of Steel - 1.14/1.15 Singleplayer Knalgans campaign (Ver 1.1)

Post by dwarftough »

Konry is loyal but has no loyal sign (1.14 add on server, the latest version)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks! I'll fix that in the next update!
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

In the end the future fate of Konry shown even if Konry fell in battle before
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Konry can't die...he just gets knocked out. It's rough having an ulfserker hero, since they die so easily. I haven't coded in any special ending if he never dies, and he's supposed to be reviving every scenario. Did he not show up in your final battle?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Well, he "got knocked out" in the last battle so I couldn't see this reviving in action.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Ah, thank you, I think I know a way to fix that. I appreciate it!
MathBrush

Re: Drunkards, Dwarves and Doubloons (formerly Knalgans of Steel) now on 1.16

Post by MathBrush »

This campaign has been renamed Drunkards, Dwarves and Doubloons, with revamped dialog and a few fixes to various recall problems. It is uploaded to 1.16.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, MathBrush. I gave this a go, purely I think because of the title! A heist is a interesting idea, and it plays fine. I was doing it on 1.16 on hard and it took me about 3 tries to succeed at each scenario, which feels about right. Punishing, but just about doable. The only bug I noticed was on the cousin map - there was a lua error to do with a Dark Sorcerer (I think it's simply a typo). That's as far as I've got so far.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
egallager

Post by egallager »

MathBrush wrote: June 28th, 2021, 4:02 pm This campaign has been renamed Drunkards, Dwarves and Doubloons, with revamped dialog and a few fixes to various recall problems. It is uploaded to 1.16.
Oh no, the Oxford-comma-loving pedant in me is sad... :(
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Just updated this to fix the LUA error, thanks! I haven't checked this thread for a while.

As for the Oxford comma, would changing the printed name of the campaign create a new campaign on the MP server? Which piece of the code does the server recognize as the main identifier for the campaign?