Case of the Missing Scepter

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

melinath

Re: Case of the Missing Scepter

Post by melinath »

1. Never assume that the player will do what you want. Even if you tell them ten times. Prepare for all eventualities.

2. From the AiWML page:
Aggression:
In short, you made the leader a crazed maniac. Try a value like 1 or 2 if you want the leader to be super-cautious. Or just make it a guardian.

3. If the program is halting on someone's computer, that's a major problem, even if it seems to work on yours.
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

melinath wrote: In short, you made the leader a crazed maniac. Try a value like 1 or 2 if you want the leader to be super-cautious. Or just make it a guardian.
I thought he was non-aggressive extremely-cautious. I can't tell by watching the leader whether he is more aggressive or not. They seem to hang around the castle no matter what.

Maybe use passive_leader=yes

One can see that Under the Burning Suns does that a lot--and UTBS is pretty much my reference for what can be done in WML.

I'll make the suggested changes, and post it as version 0.3.2 as soon as I install 1.6 (I think it's still there, I just changed its name to /usr/local/share/wesmoth when installed 1.7 to get a handle on writing with Lua).
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

I had homz go to the dwarven pass, and the frozen pass both ways the program went non-responsive.

i had quite recently added on the campaign, a week to 10 days.

am running wesnoth 1.6.2 on windows XP.

If there any other info i can provide that could help let me know.

stillcen
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

stillcen wrote:I had homz go to the dwarven pass, and the frozen pass both ways the program went non-responsive.

am running wesnoth 1.6.2 on windows XP.

stillcen
Found the problem, probably. I had unit=Homz rather than id=Homz in the filter tags for victory. It's odd that it works in 1.6 and 1.7, but on a Windows box it crashes. I wonder what it does to Macintoshes. I've used grep to hunt down and replace all instances of that string.

I downloaded both saves and tried them. Nothing halted. Here is a picture of your completed scenario with Homz walking on the exit.

As you can see, this is on a GNU/Linux machine using KDE. In the background, you can see icons for Baldur's Gate and Word97--both work using WINE 1.0. You know what does not work on WINE 1.0? Right, the Windows version of BfW.

Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Just started playing 0.3.4 and noticed that Thabbithé is missing the silver crown.
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, finally made it to play through the current version of CotMS on BfW 1.6.2, default difficulty.
a few notes:
- i much liked the campaign, very innovative and good jokes (Batstaff ... rotflol)
- a few scenarios in the end felt a bit long to me and i had to play them over days, which is also due to my workload atm, but i think this could discourage players
- in "Green Crystal" i eliminated everything yet still the scenario did not trigger victory
- in the last scenario (the finishing dialogue) i got messages about not having found the batstaff and having saved those rainbow unicorns in the forest. actually, i found the batstaff and burned down that forest, so maybe some variable glitch
- a lot of scenarios come down to getting through certain chokepoints, which tends to end up with a superhero-char assault on that position. not that i would not like it, but more of real fighting instead of chewing around for 10 turns might be good, maybe just by making some of those chokepoints a hex wider.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

docrock wrote: - in "Green Crystal" i eliminated everything yet still the scenario did not trigger victory
- in the last scenario (the finishing dialogue) i got messages about not having found the batstaff and having saved those rainbow unicorns in the forest. actually, i found the batstaff and burned down that forest, so maybe some variable glitch
- a lot of scenarios come down to getting through certain chokepoints, which tends to end up with a superhero-char assault on that position. not that i would not like it, but more of real fighting instead of chewing around for 10 turns might be good, maybe just by making some of those chokepoints a hex wider.
It's a little more obvious in the newer versions that you must kill the Green Crystal, which is much like kill the Black Crystal, Yellow Crystal. The Green Crystal spawns Greenies that wander around the battlefield--so it is a hint that the Mother of all Greenies must die.

The ending dialogue error was due to having used "name" instead "equals" in the script. You must have a really old version.

Maybe it is because I know what is happening, but even at the hardest level, I find most scenarios can be ended by 20 rounds (except 10 and 20 and maybe the Yellow Crystal one).

I do sort of worry that it is not understood that a player has to move to a specific hex to end the scenario, but it is only scenarios 1 (blinking sign), 3 (use the bat), 9 (obvious), 10 (ten's a mess, it probably needs an expanded area moveto trigger), and 18 (obvious).
docrock

Post by docrock »

You must have a really old version.
well, i was pretty much sure to always download a new one when one was available on the add-ons server. maybe my bad though.
It's a little more obvious in the newer versions that you must kill the Green Crystal, which is much like kill the Black Crystal, Yellow Crystal. The Green Crystal spawns Greenies that wander around the battlefield--so it is a hint that the Mother of all Greenies must die.
actually it was pretty obvious and i exactly did that. i also got that ending hint that Homz now returned and bla bla - just no victory and end of scenario. i think it could be due to my approach as i actually asassinated the mother crystal with one greenie still alive at that point which i killed the next turn but to no avail. maybe it is also all due to changing versions of the campaign during play, can't say.
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

docrock wrote: maybe it is also all due to changing versions of the campaign during play, can't say.
Oh, that's it. There is a variable in scenario 6 that changes a variable in 18 for dialogue. Then 18 is where it determines which ending scenario you get. I did not know my campaign was half-cooked when I submitted it.

If you want to see the different outcomes, you can edit the variables in the last round saved before the victory trigger.

Variables are located in two places, I think the second one is the one you edit. Edit these:

Code: Select all

[variables]
	batwand="1"
	firestaff="0"
	forest_fire="2"
	icewand="1"
	pearl_slaughter="2"
	pearlfire="bg"
	wand="3"
[/variables]
Above, you got the Bat Wand, you did not burn down the forest, you enslaved the merfork, and you found the Ice Wand in Troll Road or maybe wand 3 is the Water Wand. After about 6 weeks have passed, it is like looking at someone else's script.
Kurt_Aust

Post by Kurt_Aust »

All in all good fun, however I had to hack a save game file to get past scenario 19 (Rescue).

Reading the config file it would seem that this problem occurred because I was able to kill Professor Morganfurzty with a couple of Fire Dragons before he was able to attack anything.
docrock

Post by docrock »

After about 6 weeks have passed, it is like looking at someone else's script.
lmao, that's the feeling i always get when returning to a customer after like half a year
still: one hell of a great campaign
texabilly71

Post by texabilly71 »

enjoyed this little campaign. is that "night chicken" a reference to "love at first bite?!"
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

In Hackalot, are my mounted units supposed to not have any traits?

In Toll Road, should Ferok's troops be encouraged to visit castles?

Are wolves supposed to advance? Seems there are no advancement paths to or from.

Listra: You don't have to move Homz to the exit, I did it with Squeeky (64 turns early).
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:19 pm In Hackalot, are my mounted units supposed to not have any traits?
Seems like it. It created them using {NOTRAIT_UNIT} macro.
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:19 pm Are wolves supposed to advance? Seems there are no advancement paths to or from.
Wolf advancement needs to be explicitly defined. It didn't do that in the code. Storywise are they supposed to advance? I could add it in.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Not sure about the wolves, I don't pay attention to the story. I just got confused because I ended a scenario by killing the leader with a wolf which should have advanced but didn't.

About Toll Road...
Spoiler:
For Lista, either the objectives need to be updated, or the victory condition needs to require Homz to be the unit (I suspect the latter is the original intent, it's too east otherwise).