[UMC]Unity Magic Mod

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Xara

[UMC]Unity Magic Mod

Post by Xara »

I'm thinking of making a SP/MP Mod to enable Elvish Dynasty RPG style unity magics, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

The Mod is going to allow every leader of each side to choose one magic and use it to affect the game. To simplify the mechanism, these magics should be easy to understand, easy to use, and easy to code. So a typical effect of this magic is to give a bonus effect to all units of the side (like give every unit +1 ranged attack or +1 moves), hence the name "unity magic".
There are 3 kinds of unity magics that I can think of for now:
* Sustaining: effect lasts from the beginning till the end of the scenario.
* Activable, with a cooldown: can be activated every several turns, usually yields an instant effect or an effect that lasts for 1 turn.
* Activable, only once: can be only used once in the scenario.

The Mod should support both SP and MP games. In pvp games, every human players can choose a unity magic to buff his sides, so the matches should still be roughly balanced. And when playing against AI, players should be able to decide, whether to randomly give enemies a unity magic or not, so players can seek either challenge or casual play.
Considering the balance of the pvp games, I am thinking of making two modes of gameplay. In the basic mode, every one can choose from a fixed set of 10~15 basic unity magics, which should be balanced. And there should be an advanced mode, in which every player randomly get like 5 options from an expanded pool of unity magics, and the magics from the pool can be somewhat unbalanced.

Some unity magic ideas:
Please give me feedbacks on your thoughts of this idea, and please comment on these unit magic ideas. Also, welcome to post your unit magic ideas!

[EDIT]: uploaded a version of this add-on to 1.12, which features 10 basic unity magics. Since I hadn't learned using containers in WML and didn't think well on the big picture before already coded a lot, the codes are kinda ugly. But it should work without bugs, and some more unity magics can be added without much trouble. Just need interesting ideas now.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: [UMC]Unity Magic Mod

Post by StandYourGround »

Sounds like a wonderful idea for some new User-Made Content (UMC). However, I'm pretty sure this forum is a place to propose changes or additions to the mainline game, and there's no way something like this would be mainline. This topic would make more sense in Scenario & Campaign Development.
I will now resume lurking silently.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

StandYourGround wrote:Sounds like a wonderful idea for some new User-Made Content (UMC). However, I'm pretty sure this forum is a place to propose changes or additions to the mainline game, and there's no way something like this would be mainline. This topic would make more sense in Scenario & Campaign Development.
This forum is for both UMC and mainline ideas, and this one was correctly tagged with [UMC]. I see nothing wrong on that.

That said, when the idea itself is discussed and you want to start implementing it, one of the other forums should be used (WML workshop if you need implementation advices, Multiplayer development for balancing, I would guess).

For the idea itself, I fear it would not be easy to balance. Some of those would profit some factions way more than other factions, for example.
E.g. The +1 melee/ranged damage would help Rebels (whose main units have four attacks, and who are using both ranged and melee) much more than Northerners (whose main units have only two attacks, and melee only at that).
+5 max health helps Undead (who generally low-health units with some resistances) more than Drakes (who have more hitpoints, but less defense).
That might not be a problem if you can choose your magic effect after knowing your faction, as long as each faction has a similar powerful effect.

(Also, I have no idea of the relative value of those effects compared to each other.)
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

pauxlo wrote: For the idea itself, I fear it would not be easy to balance. Some of those would profit some factions way more than other factions, for example.
E.g. The +1 melee/ranged damage would help Rebels (whose main units have four attacks, and who are using both ranged and melee) much more than Northerners (whose main units have only two attacks, and melee only at that).
+5 max health helps Undead (who generally low-health units with some resistances) more than Drakes (who have more hitpoints, but less defense).
Isn't this an issue that applies to AMLAing as well, anyway?
Xara

Post by Xara »

Unnheulu wrote: Isn't this an issue that applies to AMLAing as well, anyway?
AMLA effect is negligibly small, and it hardly happen in pvp games.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Ruvaak

Post by Ruvaak »

Dunno if this mod is still maintened, but I suggest to not apply "Enlightment" (XP every turn) to recall list, by doing this :

Code: Select all

[store_unit]
					[filter]
						[not]
							x,y="recall","recall"
						[/not]
					[/filter]
Creator of Advance Wesnoth Wars mod
DVS

Post by DVS »

Ruvaak wrote: March 12th, 2019, 1:16 pm Dunno if this mod is still maintened,