vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: vghetto port project

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

vghetto wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:30 pm I don't know what I'm porting next. Feel free to let me know if you have a preference for one of them.
Maybe the ones by Makepeace McEvoy?

It's astonishing how far the project has gotten. I think the project can conclude with a success by the end of January at this porting rate.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:20 am It's astonishing how far the project has gotten. I think the project can conclude with a success by the end of January at this porting rate.
It's cool isn't it. A lot of credit goes to those that helped in porting and play testing.
Everything about this project has been positive for me and Wesnoth in general. I'm glad I did it. I hope those that have contributed share the same feelings.

I was hoping for more people with no prior WML experience to try and port something so they would learn from it. That didn't happen. Oh well.

I was also hoping for more of them to get claimed. That didn't happen at the rate that I would have liked either. They're still out there waiting for you.

I'll do Comrades_in_Arms next.

Edit: uploaded Comrades_in_Arms to 1.14/1.16.
I couldn't find the thread for CiA so I linked it to the first post by that author that I could find.
Next: An_Innocent_Man
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

I was hoping for more people with no prior WML experience to try and port something so they would learn from it. That didn't happen. Oh well.
TBH, I think we haven't made a proper introduction to WML campaign making as of today. What we have so far are tutorials which have so many walls of text that people are discouraged and then we have the human tendency to get an easy way out. A lot of people want to design campaigns with the ingame scenario editor and map editor but are clueless on what to do. Most of the time they come from a non-CS background so it's even harder for them to grasp the things. In my days a discord mod, I have seen a lot of people with "I made this with the scenario editor but I have no clue on how to make it to a campaign". I have tried linking the appropriate pages each time...but the text walls crush their little minds. It's a sad picture. I wonder if it should be possible to a make a full video course on youtube on the "Making a campaign in WML from start to finish" with appropriate topics and stuff.
I was also hoping for more of them to get claimed. That didn't happen at the rate that I would have liked either. They're still out there waiting for you.
Most of the veteran UMC authors are almost close to retirement age (as in the time their activity slowly decreases). New ones don't really seem interested in maintaining these old gems, but rather offer their own ones which may or may not be of good quality. I wish some of the good UMC at least got some completion.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Also, we've fixed the problem of the tutorial being a wall of text by writing a new tutorial, which is also a wall of text. The new one's a better wall of text, but we need to clean up the outdated tutorials too.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

An_Innocent_Man uploaded to 1.14/1.16.
Same as before, I couldn't find a thread for it.
Two more McEvoy's left.
Descacharrado wrote: December 25th, 2021, 9:19 pm I like alphabetical order, so I'll take on the first that is not taken, Adds army is it? If it's not taken, I'll work on that next.

Edit: Done with Adds army
Sorry I just noticed that you've ported it. Thank you!
That brings it down to one, Thrugbad_The_Good, which I'll do next.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 17th, 2022, 3:52 pm Most of the time they come from a non-CS background so it's even harder for them to grasp the things.
Or they have a CS background, and take one look at WML...
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

I'd like to do The Fellowship of the Clay, but I only found the BfW 1.10 version.
Anyone know if there is a version for BfW 1.12?
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:47 pm I'd like to do The Fellowship of the Clay, but I only found the BfW 1.10 version.
Anyone know if there is a version for BfW 1.12?
There was none if I remember correctly. I liked the campaign but played it last on 1.10.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:47 pm I'd like to do The Fellowship of the Clay
Someone said they were working on updating it, but that was several months ago.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

gnombat wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:55 pm
Argesilao2 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:47 pm I'd like to do The Fellowship of the Clay
That user seems to have stopped activity in just 20 days.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 17th, 2022, 8:05 pm
gnombat wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:55 pm
That user seems to have stopped activity in just 20 days.
Ouch! The worst situation :doh:

Well, I'll think later about this campaign; maybe I'll try to write a PM to UntrustworthyGM to ask him if he's still interested to port and maintain the campaign. :hmm:

in the meantime I'll work on Stormtrooper; maybe they are relatives of Bonvi's Sturmtruppen :lol:
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 17th, 2022, 3:52 pm I wonder if it should be possible to a make a full video course on youtube on the "Making a campaign in WML from start to finish" with appropriate topics and stuff.
The Knightmare's UMC Campaign making tutorial project :lol: Jokes aside, that would be very cool.
It all started when I speedran wesnoth...
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Sturmtruppen ... I meant Stormtrooper updated, tested and uploaded for BfW 1.16.

The campaign is halfway between genius and dementia; play it at your own risk. :lol:

The campaign Red Winter appears to be intriguing; if no one else gets their hands on it, then I'll put mine on.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:59 pm Sturmtruppen ... I meant Stormtrooper updated, tested and uploaded for BfW 1.16.
Thanks I updated the list.
Did you forget to copy the original description?
Argesilao2 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:59 pm The campaign Red Winter appears to be intriguing; if no one else gets their hands on it, then I'll put mine on.
Alright, great! Thank you.

I uploaded Thrugbad_The_Good to 1.14 and 1.16. That's the last of McEvoys' campaigns on the list.
I haven't decided on what will be next. Maybe nothing. :roll:
I might be dropping everything by Mark Metson. Not sure yet.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

vghetto wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:40 am Did you forget to copy the original description?
In the 1.12 add-ons list I found only this one, and I decided not to use it, because it is not a real description of the campaign:

This is my first campaign and it is complete (5 scenarios), only balance may be an issue. As for the story, it has nothing to do with Wesnoth - all events and names shown here are just a metaphor of my real-life struggles. It's just my weird way of, let's say, dealing with the past, so don't worry if you don't understand the plot. If you play Wesnoth more like an RPG, this campaign is not for you, but otherwise you could just enjoy the gameplay. P.S. I really want to improve the quality of my work, but that requires an enormous amount of feedback, so I would be very pleased if you visited the forum and added your opinions/suggestions. Changes from 0.4: the story has been redesigned so now you should be able to understand it at least on it's literal meaning level. If you still don't, please let me know in the forum, I'll redesign it once more then.

But, but now that I think about it, I can use the short description present in the main.cfg file :hmm: