A New Heir

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Straff

Re: A New Heir

Post by Straff »

Konrad2 wrote: December 27th, 2021, 11:23 am It makes no sense that King Caror arrives where he is if the undead are attacking from the north. Maybe make them attack from the east/south? Or make Caror arrive from the east. The way it is, it's too difficult to defend him, especially compared to the 1.6 version.

That is true.

And by the way, it is strange that the former wooden fortification there is suddendly a castle made of stone. :whistle:

Is there someone out there who is maintaining this campaign?
Or has someone just ported this buggy campaign to 1.16 and left then?

EDIT:
scenario 09:
and also scenario 10:

The objectives say that the king is not allowed to die.

Code: Select all

[objective]
                description= _ "Death of King Caror II"
                condition=lose
            [/objective]
But nothing happens when he dies. Not even some last words.
Last edited by Straff on December 27th, 2021, 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Probably this.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Straff

Post by Straff »

scenario 08:
deprecated code:

protect_leader

protect_leader_radius

[protect_unit]

scenario 09:
unclear objectives:

[objective]
                description= _ "Follow Mal-Jevyan"
                condition=win
            [/objective]
The goal of the scenario is that your leader reaches the end of the map!

The objectives say there is a bonus when:

"Defeat Mal-Jevyan before he escapes"
or:

"Defeat the rest of the enemy leaders"
But you get the bonus anyway, because that is the default behaviour. There is no extra-bonus for those two alternative objectives.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Straff wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm Is there someone out there who is maintaining this campaign?
FTR the person who ported this said they plan to maintain the campaign, they are just busy right now.
Straff

Post by Straff »

Konrad2 wrote: December 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm
Straff wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm Is there someone out there who is maintaining this campaign?
FTR the person who ported this said they plan to maintain the campaign, they are just busy right now.
I really hope someone will maintain this campaign, because this campaign is of very good quality, just a little bit buggy.
And there are some story flaws as you mentioned (Orcs, Ogres, and a non-lich-Jevyan )
But this campaign is really worth to carry on.
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

Konrad2 wrote: December 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm FTR the person who ported this said they plan to maintain the campaign, they are just busy right now.
That is correct, and that would be me.
Straff wrote: December 27th, 2021, 9:46 pm I really hope someone will maintain this campaign, because this campaign is of very good quality, just a little bit buggy.
And there are some story flaws as you mentioned (Orcs, Ogres, and a non-lich-Jevyan )
But this campaign is really worth to carry on.
I am glad you liked it, and sorry some bugs disturbed your playthrough. I will indeed maintain it and fit it to mainline lore, in a few days I will update the campaign with the quick fixes and link the feedback to here (or maybe open a new thread, I have not decided yet). For now, I encourage everyone to keep the feedback coming.
It all started when I speedran wesnoth...
Straff

Post by Straff »

Descacharrado wrote: December 27th, 2021, 9:56 pm ... in a few days I will update the campaign with the quick fixes and link the feedback to here (or maybe open a new thread, I have not decided yet).
I'm glad to read that you will maintain this jewel of a campaign. But please do not open another thread. This one does the job.
Straff

Post by Straff »

scenario 10:
When Jevyan dies you kill all units inside the castle walls.

# Kill everything in the castle
        [kill]
            # If fire event is deactivated, you could lose Eldaric without losing the game
            fire_event=yes
            x=23,24,25
            y=12-13,12,12-13
        [/kill]
Sadly this means instant defeat when there is a hero unit inside the castle walls!
Better use some [not] here, to prevent the heroes to die.

EDIT:
scenario 6,10,11:

gold_carryover
should be

carryover_percentage
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

because this campaign is of very good quality
I want to play this since I rarely find good quality campaigns these days, but seeing all these bugs make me want to wait for the updated version which will be bug-free. I shall play when the bugs are patched. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S9
The bonus objective 'defeat the rest of the enemy leaders' does not disappear after you've defeated the rest of the enemy leaders.

Some of my units didn't arrive with full health.

S10
becuase -> because

S11
0% canon.

It is nice how it tries to connect with TRoW, but because of it it is far sadder how badly it fails at doing so.
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

A New Heir 1.0.1 is out, as said before, this only changes the most pressing needs of the campaign.

Changelog:
* Created a github repo
* Added the feedback thread to the pbl file
* You can now undo after checking the achievements
* Aggression is now correctly implemented
* Carryover_percentage correctly implemented now
* Corrected MEDIUM definition instead of NORMAL
* Clarified and corrected many objectives
* Scraped deprecated ai aspects, sustituted by micro AIs
* Now when king caror II dies, you get a defeat screen
* Garrison units are now fully healed
* Some typos fixed
* Clearwater side is now carried over scenarios
* Storytext dependant on clearwater defense result now correctly shows the text

Wanna know how development goes or why some of your feedback has not been addressed yet? Check out the github feedback issue.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Replays
Spoiler:
Descacharrado
Developer

Post by Descacharrado »

A New Heir 1.1.0 is now out!

Lore changes have been made to fit with wesnoth's canon, aswell as small enhancements, you can see the full changelog in the addon folder.

Challenging Replays attached:
ANH Replays.rar
(704.84 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

I liked this campaign. I especially liked how competent Addodran was in the first three levels, he actually got a nice little recall list of his own by the time his army went defunct. I also liked Healers/Medicasters ,they were a godsent against undead, and in the final level newly formed White Mage corps were the backbone of my force.
But among all that good was a blight called Southbay in Spring. Recall list wipe combined with an enemy that spams Bone Shooters? That's just a recipe for disaster, put a limit on how many Bone Shooters that guy can put out in one turn, fighting 10+ level 2 enemies with only Medicasters/Cavaliers and fresh level 1 recruits is about the opposite of fun. Hardest scenario in the campaign by far.
I also didn't like Necrophages appearing out of the swamps in Revival, it's easy to get overwhelmed by them, especially if you don't have a Medicaster as one of your first joining units. They are much more manageable in The Cleanse.

Also:
1) One scenario's ending (I think it's Soutbay in Spring) still mentions orcs, should be undead.
2) Please give the Dragoon ally commander in Southbay in Summer scenario Slow trait - there were several times when he rushed out around turn 5 or 6 and was instantly surrounded by Pandora's forces who proceded to stone him to death. With Slow trait, he would be less likely to rush out, and would also be a bit tougher.
3) Neither King Caror, nor Prince Haric are loyal, I think they should be. Also Prince Haric can recruit in one level where he is playable.
3) Just an interesting note, I had a White Mage that required around 180 EXP to become a Mage of Light since he got 2 or 3 AMLAs while he was still a Medicaster.
4) I think the final boss should be an Ancient Lich, having him be a regular Lich was underwhelming for a final boss.
Heroic_for_a_dunce

Post by Heroic_for_a_dunce »

I have found it impossible to find Jevyan's hiding spot on "Revival" (scenario 10?). Can anyone provide his coordinates?

Other than that its is a wonderful campaign!