1.17 Roadmap Discussion thread

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

1.17 Roadmap Discussion thread

Post by Pentarctagon »

This thread is a place to discuss anything related to the 1.17 Roadmap as needed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: 1.17 Roadmap Discussion thread

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Not sure where I would like to have these placed in the RoadMap but these are my targets:
  • UTBS S12 revision/rework. Issue already opened on Github. Will upload as test addon to see player reactions.
  • Scenario boss MAI. Will do this as i need it for the #1.The Hunter MAI can meet the role but I am a not fan of its return to base until fully healed flow. Anyways, time will tell.
  • MP RPG-Coop scenario/mini campaign. The current MP content in the base game package has a lot of things for players: FFA, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, survivals, city-building (ANL), generated scenarios, MP campaign with story (LoW) and MP campaign without story (WC). What it lacks is an RPG scenario/campaign which can be placed on the official timeline and thus, having one would be nice. I already submitted a draft to the 1.15/1.16's content manager for checking, but if anyone wants to look at the draft I made, I can share it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

As stated here, one of my suggested things for the 1.17.x cycle is a new MP RPG Co-Op Scenario/Mini-Campaign. However, I need approval for the plot of the scenario/campaign so that there are no complications with adding it to the game.

Thus, may I request you to check this draft at your convenience and maybe provide feedback on any edits which should be made? Perhaps also forwarding this to any other project members who should be consulted? If the final version can be drafted, I can move on to the next steps.
MP Co-Op RPG Campaign concept.pdf
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is this meant to be canon with he existing lore, or its own separate thing?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Pentarctagon wrote: December 28th, 2021, 11:32 pm Is this meant to be canon with he existing lore, or its own separate thing?
I suppose it's meant to be something which can enter the current line-up of MP scenarios/campaigns but entirely RPG elements. I added timeline portions to give a background lore on the location and city hub area.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It looks neat to me, though I'd say Yumi should review it as well to make sure it's consistent with mainline's lore/timeline.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

I do have some problems then I guess:
1) Any specific reason for adding another random (Ancient) Lich encounter to the game?
2) If players can easily randomly stumble upon a cave with Lich then natives (looking at how many there are nearby) should know too, so why don't they just ask what they should do? (Also given that there is a sort of hub/market there which means that there are customers.)
3) Also looking at the power of an Ancient Lich she could just do it herself, there is no reason to hire adventurers that I can see here.
4) During which season is this taking place? What climate is there? (I assume winter/ cold.)
5) Players are tasked to "investigate the mystery", not to stop drakes. (This is bad from the perspective of adventurers.)
6) Random enemies everywhere. Why? Do they even make sense? Is this map like 200x200? Or do they just exist to be random enemies because that is "more fun" (it's actually not)?
7) This is supposed to be an RPG but there is no interaction with anything other than equipping / hiring, talking only in S1.

I might have some more but that's it for now.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm having trouble keeping up with the treadmill, I wonder if the release cycle can be slowed down a bit? Or at least delayed a couple months. I appreciate that deadlines are a necessary motivation, but I'm still trying to absorb 1.16.

That said, a long-festering issue with sprites was highlighted in #6413, so I've opened an issue for it (#6417), and I'll put it on the roadmap (in sub-projects, based on race or at least sprite image directory structure). I don't anticipate much getting done by 1.17.0 (Jan 16th), but I'll try to come up with a reasonable roadmap in the next couple weeks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It's not really meant to be something you need to try to keep up with. More frequent releases (particularly for the dev branch) are just meant to be a way to keep the individual releases small so that issues are hopefully noticed and caught more quickly, while the stable branch releases should all be compatible with each other so whether you're using 1.16.0 vs .1 vs .x shouldn't matter too much aside from bugs being fixed.

For 1.16, the particular bug I'm thinking of would be #6283.

For 1.17, there hasn't been an initial release yet, so I think getting something out that has all the changes that have accumulated for the last few months is a good idea.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 28th, 2021, 12:50 pm As stated here, one of my suggested things for the 1.17.x cycle is a new MP RPG Co-Op Scenario/Mini-Campaign. However, I need approval for the plot of the scenario/campaign so that there are no complications with adding it to the game.

Thus, may I request you to check this draft at your convenience and maybe provide feedback on any edits which should be made? Perhaps also forwarding this to any other project members who should be consulted? If the final version can be drafted, I can move on to the next steps.

Backstory looks okay to me, but regarding the plot, I pretty much have similar feedback to Hejnewar. If it's supposed to be an RPG we can put a lot of real RPG elements in and I would be okay with some logical inconsistencies in the storyline. The logic of the plot doesn't make sense to me right now though, it doesn't seem to me that the adventurers offer anything that Ardryn Na can't do herself. Also I would check the number of drakes (thousands?) and it should be ruled by an Armageddon drake, probably not a dragon.

About the length, this is one of the few times you'll catch me saying it might be too short to be an RPG haha. Depends on the size of the maps though.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

nemaara wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 7:46 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 28th, 2021, 12:50 pm As stated here, one of my suggested things for the 1.17.x cycle is a new MP RPG Co-Op Scenario/Mini-Campaign. However, I need approval for the plot of the scenario/campaign so that there are no complications with adding it to the game.

Backstory looks okay to me, but regarding the plot, I pretty much have similar feedback to Hejnewar. If it's supposed to be an RPG we can put a lot of real RPG elements in and I would be okay with some logical inconsistencies in the storyline. The logic of the plot doesn't make sense to me right now though, it doesn't seem to me that the adventurers offer anything that Ardryn Na can't do herself. Also I would check the number of drakes (thousands?) and it should be ruled by an Armageddon drake, probably not a dragon.

About the length, this is one of the few times you'll catch me saying it might be too short to be an RPG haha. Depends on the size of the maps though.
MP Co-Op RPG Campaign concept_draft 2.pdf
(61.97 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
I have made a second draft after reviewing it. I adapted it to be more on the investigative side and relatively less on combat. Additionally, if Adryn-Na is conflicting...I added some bits to offer an option of omitting her part (if preferred).