Warfare of far Lands (1.16)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tezereth

Warfare of far Lands (1.16)

Post by Tezereth »

Far from here, past the borders of the kingdom of Wesnoth, somewhere in Irdya, other kingdoms exist and grow up. (lore out of date hhhhh)
Warfare from far Lands is my first ever add-on, and is about multiple different factions of existing race, featuring a whole lot of new units, unique abilities and more!

Contains 2 factions, and more planned :

The Ruald country :
The country of Ruald is a vast kingdom of human with professional military and determined countrymen's. Playing as them, you will have a lot of multi-purpose units with interesting advancements, some using swords and magic, others being better in groups. It's a playstyle more suited for defense but have some reliable offensive options. This faction is more suited for new players.

The dark cult :
The dark cult reunite all of the human that decided to worship the evil god Skalo Meh. In exchange, many of them have received evil powers, such as necromancy or calling upon cave monsters. Controlling them, you will have access to fast and powerful undead and humans, and more tanky monsters. Using well their abilities is the key to victory!

Features of the era:

- Many sprites from different place (including mainline) used in creative way to look different, via poses and palette swap!
- Animated combat : Almost every units have their attacks and defenses animations, projectiles and more!
- Different units lore: Almost all units have a description, some of them more complex than others.
- Unique playstyle for each faction, without being too confusing for the people used to mainline.
- Many new abilities that can make a difference on the battlefield, some being more or less specific than others.
- The slight chances of bug due to me forgetting a lot of thing (feel free to tell me when you find bugs)

Feedbacks are appreciated!
Last edited by Tezereth on November 3rd, 2022, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Occasional Sprite animator, and maker of the following add-ons :
Warfare of far lands (1.16)
dwarftough

Re: Warfare of far Lands (1.14)

Post by dwarftough »

I played a quick test game vs AI, it looks funny :) many known sprites, but it looks smooth and funny with palette swaps and etc. And I really liked projectiles and animations, good job :)

One question so far: why does Ruald Militia, lvl 1, advances into two lvl 1s and one lvl 2, I didn't get the conception so far
Attachments
2p — Arcanclave Citadel replay.gz
If you are interested, the replay, but I doubt it's anything worth studying, just me (Ruald) against AI :)
(30.45 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

dwarftough wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:14 pm I played a quick test game vs AI, it looks funny :) many known sprites, but it looks smooth and funny with palette swaps and etc. And I really liked projectiles and animations, good job :)

One question so far: why does Ruald Militia, lvl 1, advances into two lvl 1s and one lvl 2, I didn't get the conception so far
Since militia are freshly recruited troops without a lot of training, they aren’t the strongest but also cost less and evolve faster. So when they are evolving, they can take different branch but start as level 1, or become a regular.

There’s two point doing this :
1 : you can evolve fast into another lv1 while only paying 12 for the militia
2 : Militia can get the dextrous trait, and other units can’t. So you can end up evolving them in scouts, which usually have fairly weak ranged attack, or all the way to magic knight to have stronger magic attacks.

I also wanted to give them the possibility to evolve into crossbowman, but I ended up not doing it. Might still do it in a future update
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi, just tried this and it's nice. Well franked sprites and also seems balanced. The recoloured mudcrawler made me smile, since I did something vaguely similar with the Shoggoth. Oh noticed a most unusual thing where the ranged attack has -5%(10 for lev2) to CTH which is displayed in a way I have not seen before in Wesnoth. There is no abil/wep spec visible which is why I almost didn't see it.

I did notice one bug while playing. I think it was. It's that very neat spire unit. The root and defense formation abil's both seem not to work. I might be wrong since they are tricky. Correction! defense formation does work, I see it better playing vs them.

Also the error log had a bunch of errors about unknown unit advances, those should probably be fixed so it all works properly.
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

The version 0.1.5 is here, which doesn't brought much apart from bug fixing.

-Fixed Large spire evolving into lv3 causing problems, now it should evolve into it's lv3 version with no problem
-Added the possibility for the ancient statue to evolve into the Golden Statue (I forgot to put the evolution path during the release)
-Fixed some visual problems involving the weak hollow.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Nice update, bugs be gone. : )

Did find one new one though. Typo Autority for Authority.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Hi played some more and found 2 more advancements not working. Brawl Mage wants to level to Dance Brawl Mage & the Regular wants to advance to Autority (not sure if this is the same as the typo I mentioned but I guess it is hehe). Also found a couple of portraits were being missed. sergeant-crossbowman & flareman. Oh and a attack icon is looking for dagger and not finding it. (dance brawl mage).

BTW there's a ton of unused units from the rashy era, templates for future factions?
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

mmmh, I don't remember seeing some of these bug, I'll look into it if I have time.

Also, I used Rashy era as template for my Era, so there's a lot of stuff I haven't deleted that are still in the files, can alway help if I add more content to the Era in the future (probably in a long time tho, I'm doing lotta things + procrastination)

Also thanks for playing and helping me seeking bugs in the Era, it really helps!

(I know I'm two month late but uhhh)
Tezereth

Re: Warfare of far Lands (1.16)

Post by Tezereth »

After a very long time, I finally decided to port this era to 1.16, and along, the 0.2 version of this add-on

-Fixed quite a lot of bugs, most of them being caused by the ports to 1.16, but quite a bunch were already here.
-Fixed and edited some visual.
-Sprite rework of the patrolman, mostly the hat and the attack animation, I would like to hear if peoples preferred the old or the new.
-Dance mage renamed to Mistral mage to fit the frost aspect more.
-Ported to 1.16 (duh)

Now, the next step would be to gather feedbacks on the balance of the 2 already existing factions, any feedback is really valuable.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Been viewing the era, it's good to still see new era creators in times like 2022's.
I just downloaded it today November 3rd

Just reporting the issue that Lv0 Weak Hollow is directly advancing to Lv2 Flesh Hollow, which defenetively has gamebreaking potential.

Also been viewing a bit the undead faction, they're quite limited gameplay actually, at depending so much of Blade, Cold and Impact attacks, which all 3 are very weak againist units like loyalist calvary (which has 20% cold resistance). Still, 5-3 ranged pierce is quite bad to counter this type of units.

Two ranged units, but both of them are cold, which basically doesn't add much appart of different unit armor type.

Considering that undead faction needs more lv1 recruits and maybe some bit more of unit variety.

In human faction Lv1 Militia has weird advancement system. It can advance to 3 of the other recruitable options in the faction and to a Lv2 version of Militia, I'm sure this is nothing normal at all.

Curious thing to realize is that both factions lacks of Lv1 scouting units (unit with 8 movement or more, or at least 7 movement if flying) which leads them to be in a disadventageful situation againist factions with scouts in large maps because of gold management and worse map control in large maps.

Is it intentional that Lv2 Ruald Regular to have -20% impact ressistance? unit clearly looks fine without that impact weakness, which is maintained in lv3 too. It's already weaker than default Javalineer even without the impact weakness and just depending of bulking many units with this defense formation aura.

But my main observations after viewing all units in both factions:
- Undead faction needs at least another pierce archer/fighter that can suit the faction, or instead something that can replace this in any other different way.
- Undead faction is rich on resistances variations , still somewhat poor in attack types.
- Both factions are lacking of lv1 or even lv0 scouts
- Human faction has poor ressistance variations (default loyalist is more rich in this aspect)
- Human faction has cool specials and is rich in attack types.
- Weird advancement system in Lv1 militia.
- Lv0 Weak Hollow jumping to Lv2 when leveling instead of lv1 unit.
- Both factions are most likely needing at least a pair more of units to be as clever as default-like factions.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

thank you for you feedbacks!

I do agree on the lack of variation for the undead faction, I've been thinking for some times about adding a new unit, either faster or flying to fulfill scouting purpose.
As for the human faction, perhaps I should increase the scout movement by 1?

As for the advancement system of the militia, I've designed the unit as a cheaper and weaker unit compared to other lv1, but who have the choice of either quickly evolve into a pretty average lv2, or delaying the advancement to advance into a more specialized lv1, and to invite players into doing so, the milita can have the dextrous trait, which other lv1 lacks.

I'm also thinking to decrease the weakness to impact of the regular to -10% instead of -20%. My usual thinking was that regulars armors were less thick and could more easily break against impact weapons. In practice, I'm not sure it works that much in game :hmm:

Edit : For the Cult scout, I've been thinking just now, maybe a gargoyle/imp kind of thing, in the same vein as sacred stones ones
IPS

Post by IPS »

The Imp &/or gargoyle idea looks quite nice. As flying 7 or 8 movemen unit could suit well to undead army. Just thinking about alternatives.

As gargoyle, it could be somewhat easier to find ressistance values to compensate some of commonly present undead weaknessese (like arcane, and maybe impact ,but I don't know), still, as an Imp it can easily give even a weak fire ranged or very high fire ressistance.

Sounds quite interesting about giving the 7th movement to Lv1 scout, it would give them a similar role as of Knalgan footpads (still, not being the only scout unit in Knalgan faction , is oftenly more used than gryphon riders because of being much cheaper). Still, in comparation of footpad, this one is much stronger offensively and even stronger offensively than elvish rider.

Not yet tested, but I think that the unit can of work well as 7 movement scout with that damages if HP is maybe lowered to 29 HP or maybe 28 HP, as being a cheap scout with that damage output, players will like considering this unit just for the extra movement in expense of some HP. Just that if in 70% defense terrain will be like a footpad but without pierce weakness and with 10% more blade ressistance.

For that to work for lv2, it would need a bit lower damages becuause it would outmatch in terms of damage to all defaultish scouts, still 7 movement with swiftfoot combined of skirmisher isn't bad at all. I would proposse these damages values for scout role:
- 7 movement
- Dagger 6-4 melee (as much as default's dragoon, but horse moves 9 and has a mediocre ranged for self defense)
- Dagger 5-4 ranged
- Bow 7-3 ranged
Considering it would have 7 movement combined of skirmisher, these values are all acceptable, having lv1 damage in both ranged and in melee.

For lv3 , values like this would occur.

Opperative
- 7 Movement (doesn't need of 8 because of skirmisher)
- Knives 8-4 blade melee (it's quite high considering it will have decent ranged)
- Knives 7-4 blade ranged
- Bow 10-3 pierce ranged
Compared to Fugitive, this one has much higher damages and +Skirmisher. So as unit should work fine

Ruald Master
- HP to 50 (it has for some reason, lower HP than lv2 xd)
- 6 Movement (instead of 5)
- Blade melee 6-6 (which if strong is 7-6 and 9-6 at day time) and maybe +first-strike special for melee
- Blade ranged could be maintained as 5-6 (fairly as good as the opperaitve's ranged considering first-strike is more value if more dmg per strike).
- Bolas damage lowering to 6-3 or 7-3 (slows combine of marksman and skirmisher, is quite strong) .
This is quite fine, more HP is welcome as well of +1 movement, melee might be fine because players can choice this option for strong ones getting more extra damages... also bolas is extremely strong attack which deserves nerf because of outmatching the other's bow ranged option.

Also concerning to Magic Knight, I would slightly nerf the Ice Bomb attack quite a bit much, because of the same reasons I would do with Bolas from Master. To be honest, if I'm playing in any kind of ageless survival I would just spam this unit because of having magical, even slows and basically flawless in most aspects, no sense to build a variated army if this unit is that absurdly strong.
- Decrease Ice Bomb accuracy to +Enchanted (always 60% hit chance).

Magic Knight being this nice literally makes many other units way more too meh. Defenetively woul need some more nerfs than just the Ice Bomb attack. But main point is that Magic Knight is THAT STRONG because of the following aspects:
- 4 attack types in one unit
- 3 of the attacks are considered high accuracy
- Can heals even a bit
- Can slows (with one attack that is fairly quite OP with no nerfs)
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

I've been following some of your balance advice, and mostly removed the pierce melee attack from the magic knight as it was taking the job of other pierce focused units, and turned the ice bomb into an enchanted attack (60% instead of 70%)

As for the gargoyle/imp, it might not make an appearance until I get sprites for them sadly.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Been thinking a bit about some balance aspects, specially about human faction that looks to have more irregularities than undead one.

First thing to mention, but not the most important, is that I've been thinking that the combination of 6-3 and 4-3 for a scout that if strong trait can of 9-3 melee with 5-3 ranged at day time, kind of deserves -5% accuracy in melee (already high dmg's , still might be a good 14g scout even with this nerf). Doing this make it to not have the same melee than lv1 Infantry.

Second point, is about lowering ice bomb dmg by maybe 10-2 or 9-2 , as well of accuracy nerf.

3rd point is about Lv2 Magic Knight being too similar to Brawl mage, the same 3 attacks and very similar attacks with the only difference of one attack type in one o the ranged (impact instead of fire). Even, Lv2 Magic Knight has more HP's than Lv3 Mistral Mage which also heals the same mount than Magic Knight. Oddly, both units have too similar roles in lv2 , but Magic Knight having a lot more HP's and being capable to apply +Slows on enemies. Maybe in case of Mistral Mage idk, removing the heals 4 but adding +10% fire/cold resistance so it would be better at dealing ranged mages and being obviously more ranged than Magic Knight (dunno if you want this change for lv2 Brawl Mage too).

Melee's from both units in point 3 is too similar in lv2, maybe readjust Magic Knight melee from 7-4 to 9-3?

4th point and maybe one of most important, is Lv3 flash attack being too Strong. Ranged mage with a slowing melee that combines magical, slows and first strike is just insanely strong!! which also is aura unit. If doing the minimun correct nerfs at least lowering damage from flash attack to 7-2 (-3 per strike) , which is still a powerful defensive tool.

5th point, it's quite curious (most likely, just an observation) how lv1 and lv2 crossbow changes roles by the huge asymetry in HP. While Lv1 has high HP for lv1 ranged standards, lv2 has signfiicantly much lower HP than lv1 does for its level (dunno how intentional is this), also Lv2 Wall Guard has -5% parry on ranged? which is weird because it causes the unit to take more damage in defense stuff that lv1 don't have. Still not a complaint because lv2 has quite high melee (10-2 blade) damage and +5% parry but the -5% parry on ranged in lv2 and lv3 is quite weird becuase lv1 does not have this. Personally I think that maintaining this consistency by removing the parry handicap to lv2 and lv3 while maybe adding it to lv1 that already has relatively high HP as lv1 ranged unit.

6th point, Patrolman is very underpriced. Yup 8-3 impact for 14g is really sick! and it has aura! it should be costing like 16-18g because of the HIGH melee damage combined of aura that a pair of lines have or maybe just their melee getting standarized to 7-3 , but I think that price nerf could of be more combenient considering the Miltia mechanic.

7th point, maybe if Ruald Infantry will get their pierce melee removed and Patrolman getting priced higher, easily Infantryman could of be costing 14g , 6-3 blade is poor for lv1 standards still the exotic 6-2 fire ranged is somewhat good ranged ; first option would make them cheap high HP unit. Their melee could be increased to 7-3 and price getting a bit higher for something like 16g's (only 1g cheaper , but without pierce and +1 blade damage) just to mention an alterantive. This second option also makes their melee superior over scout.
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

I haven't thought of a "mage killers" aspect for the brawl/mistral mages, that might be an interesting idea to explore! That would be better than spreading out heal +4 on several unit lines like I did.

As for magic knights changes, I agree with you. It was a unit kind of hard to balance during development as a lv2 locked class that I found really cool, I might have been unintentionally biased :doh:

As for the patrolman, how about reducing a bit the damage and increasing the cost to 15g? I don't really like the idea of having them cost higher than the infantry, given lore wise the infantry had better training and gear (and the minor magic training). However, buffing the infantry melee damage (and removing the pierce attack) sounds right.
Maybe I could even slightly decrease the patrolman hp to invite players to use their aura, but I might wait and see after the current changes are done.