(W.I.P.) BloodLust - SP campaign, with living weapons 1.12/1.14/1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ptitboul

Re: (W.I.P.) BloodLust - SP campaign, with living weapons 1.12/1.14/1.15

Post by Ptitboul »

Version 0.2.7 with many bug corrections around scenario 04: gold carryover had issues, and mercenaries could not be hired... I should do better testing!

Version 0.2.8 because the weapons wielders in scenario 03 disappeared when going to scenario 04 to hire mercenaries. I should really do better testing.
My campaign, Bloodlust, is is need of feedback!
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Version 0.2.9 with some cosmetic changes. The main change is that now when weapons are dropped from the backpack, they don't complain anymore and the unit is not penalized. This allows playing scenario 03 with only one unit wielding Stormbringer and collecting all other weapons in the backpack (not the recommended way to play this scenario).
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Version 0.3.0 with the last scenario of Part I in now available for 1.12/1.14/1.15.
In this scenario, you will find many answers on what these living weapons are.

The campaign will continue with Part II.
I am planning to propose two possibilities for playing Part II:
- either by continuing Part I, with the same units
- or starting directly Part II, with a choice between various settings of units. This choice will be based on actual results of playing Part I.

That's why I am inviting you to send me or publish here replays of the last scenario, so I will be able to generate many possibilities for starting part II.
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Version 0.3.1 with a modification of the first scenario, which gives more importance to what the player does with the villagers recruited.
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Now version 0.4.0.

The important change compared to previous versions is that the village leader is not named Elric anymore, and does not need to survive.
This gives even more possibilities of how to play the first scenario. For example, the village leader has the new "old" and "wise" traits, which makes him an interesting unit, but other units can also be good wielders for Stormbringer.

The drawback of this change is that the original unit type of the wielder of Stormbringer can take a lot of possible values. I wanted to change the implementation of the AMLA given by Stormbringer to its wielder, but ran into the WML issue decribed there. I am still working on how to implement this new way of defining AMLA (which currently only works for 1.15), and therefore for the moment Stormbringer's wielder will get his/her additional special attack only if he/she was a Peasant or a Woodsman.
Ptitboul

Re: (W.I.P.) BloodLust - SP campaign, with living weapons 1.12/1.14/1.15/1.16

Post by Ptitboul »

My son started to play on an iPad, and it is almost working perfectly.
We detected one bug: the "unit info" lua does not work.
If you find other bugs, please tell me!
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Now version 0.4.1.

The only change is how I load the lua functions.
Now it works on iOS.
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Now version 0.4.3.
Not available for 1.12, because the add-on server has been disabled (viewtopic.php?t=55096).
You can update BloodLust for 1.12 by downloading the addon for a more recent version of Wesnoth, and copying it to 1.12.

The main change is the addition of a translation in French.
Most of the campaign is translated. There are still a few translation bugs, because there were many places in the WML that resulted in non-translatable strings, and I did not correct all of them.

Correction of a bug in the display when dropping a weapon from the backpack.
Some changes in icons.
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Now version 0.4.4.

Translation in French is completed. The campaign should be translatable to other languages.

Correction of a few bugs that may appear if you try non-conventional way of playing the campaign (e.g. not taking Stormbringer during the first scenario, and letting one ally have it, entering multiple times scenario 4 or having multiple units simultaneously in the arena in scenario 4).
Spoiler:
Don_Lazlo

Post by Don_Lazlo »

Ptitboul wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:50 am
Spoiler:
Maybe a strange idea, but how about a brothel? :D
For example, you could go in with a unit, pay a small fee for the "services", and as a result get an additional unit (an offspring basically). The original unit could be locked there for a few rounds, until the deed is done, finally a new unit would spawn. It could be more or less the copy of the original unit, but lvl. 0. If you want to go hardcore, you could even create a new character treat, something like "family bond", that is giving some extra defense when they are standing next to each other.

Btw. are there any news about part 2? I'm checking the thread every week in the hope that it's released...
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Don_Lazlo wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:35 pm Maybe a strange idea, but how about a brothel? :D
For example, you could go in with a unit, pay a small fee for the "services", and as a result get an additional unit (an offspring basically). The original unit could be locked there for a few rounds, until the deed is done, finally a new unit would spawn. It could be more or less the copy of the original unit, but lvl. 0. If you want to go hardcore, you could even create a new character treat, something like "family bond", that is giving some extra defense when they are standing next to each other.
Very interesting idea. I might even try to see how genetics can be implemented, resulting in a unit that mixes the characteristics of both parents. But I fear that it will take some time to implement, especially because Wesnoth expects that units are defined statically in a .cfg file.
Don_Lazlo wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:35 pm Btw. are there any news about part 2? I'm checking the thread every week in the hope that it's released...
I have many ideas, but did not start implementing them, because I was waiting to study savegames from people that played the first part, to help me balance the scenarios. I did not get any.

The problem I have with finding the right balance for this second part is that the strength of the units you have at the end of the first part should depend a lot on how it was played. I don't want that the second part is achievable only be people that optimized the first part, and I don't want that it is boring for people that optimized the first part.
Dugi found a solution for LotI, by having the main characters almost die and therefore start the second part with new units. I don't want to use the same trick; I have some ideas on how I could achieve a good balance, but I need to test them.

I did not know that someone was waiting for part 2. I will start it soon, and will publish it even if not well balanced.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Orc Camp: no more peasants?

I don't understand, everyone was a leader, but now the one with Stormbringer (also my original dude) is the leader? How was that choice made?

Ugh, if I had known I could recruit elves FOR ONE SCENARIO, I would have at least recruited some shamans for my recall list.

AMLA: Imbue my pitchfork with Stormbringer's... uh, I'm a lich.

Looking for More:
I stepped on a pile of gold on a keep. I got the gold, but the image remains.

I picked up portal, took a step, and now most of the map (the areas that unit can transport to?) is visible. Also, it has 'soul eater' which is already used by
LotI for something else. It's bad enough to reuse a term differently, but when you're using the same maps??? Super teleport is a fun way to steal villages, I'm not getting any gold from them, but my enemy does (and it keeps them busy trying to take them back).

Shift-i is clunky. Put it in the right click menu please.

Objectives say early finish bonus (=0?).

Hiring Mercenaries: Never played, since previous scenario points to The Trove as next. Hmm, I think I know why. An option I didn't try out in Looking for More.

As you'll see, a lot of gear stayed in the backpack because I didn't have access to the types of units I would have liked to give them. I probably could have given them to some junior units, but I have a habit from LotI of avoiding giving good gear to units I can't guarantee to protect.
Ptitboul wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:26 pm
Don_Lazlo wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:35 pm Maybe a strange idea, but how about a brothel? :D
Very interesting idea. I might even try to see how genetics can be implemented, resulting in a unit that mixes the characteristics of both parents. But I fear that it will take some time to implement, especially because Wesnoth expects that units are defined statically in a .cfg file.
Take one or two each defenses, resistances, and movement costs, from each parent. For the rest, take the average of the parents'. Race of mother, alignment of father. A trait from each? Abilities I have no idea. Advancement probably AMLA/HP only, or do a lot of work creating new hybrid units (brothel workers are always the same race to save effort).

Or just assume the brothel has all races and the player's character will choose their own. Of course, if they are a lich,,,

Or the offspring always come out as an Unholy Breed, like Vritra.

Just thinking out loud. It's an interesting idea.
Attachments
BloodLust-The Trove.gz
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Thank you for all this feedback.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Orc Camp: no more peasants?
I think that it is standard Wesnoth behaviour that level 0 units don't go in the recall list.
I can add some text at the end of the first scenario explaining that level 0 units are not sufficiently trained to join the team going to kill orcs.
And indeed, there are no more peasants to recruit there because we are now in the woods.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm I don't understand, everyone was a leader, but now the one with Stormbringer (also my original dude) is the leader? How was that choice made?
It seems that the text at the end of scenario 1 is not clear enough.
The wielder of Stormbringer says "Everyone who wants to kill orcs, follow me!". That's why he becomes the leader in the future scenarios.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Ugh, if I had known I could recruit elves FOR ONE SCENARIO, I would have at least recruited some shamans for my recall list.
You could have guessed it from the text at the start of scenario 1: "In this campaign, in most scenarios you will only be able to recruit level 0 units. You will find trained warriors only on your recall list, unless there is some in-scenario explanation of why experienced units are available where you install your initial keep."
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm AMLA: Imbue my pitchfork with Stormbringer's... uh, I'm a lich.
The AMLA description should have started by something like "remebering I was a Peasant".
And this is the explanation why this Lich remembers how to use a pitchfork.
If this AMLA is chosen, a new pitchfork attack appears.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Looking for More:
I stepped on a pile of gold on a keep. I got the gold, but the image remains.
You are right, I also came across this bug, and forgot to correct it.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm I picked up portal, took a step, and now most of the map (the areas that unit can transport to?) is visible. Also, it has 'soul eater' which is already used by
LotI for something else. It's bad enough to reuse a term differently, but when you're using the same maps??? Super teleport is a fun way to steal villages, I'm not getting any gold from them, but my enemy does (and it keeps them busy trying to take them back).
All living weapons have this soul eater ability.
You are right, using the same name as in LotI can create confusion. I will rename it "soul binding".
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Shift-i is clunky. Put it in the right click menu please.
It should be in the right click menu too. At least it is the case for me.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Objectives say early finish bonus (=0?).
I don't understand the comment.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm Hiring Mercenaries: Never played, since previous scenario points to The Trove as next. Hmm, I think I know why. An option I didn't try out in Looking for More.
It is an optional scenario which would have allowed you to have experienced units to put your weapons on. The main intent of this scenario is to create more possible outcomes of part I.
There are some bugs to be corrected, for example it is possible to fight an infinite number of turns in Looking for More by going to Hiring Mercenaries every time we are close to the last turn.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm As you'll see, a lot of gear stayed in the backpack because I didn't have access to the types of units I would have liked to give them. I probably could have given them to some junior units, but I have a habit from LotI of avoiding giving good gear to units I can't guarantee to protect.
One important difference with LotI is that when a unit dies, the magical items don't disappear, they are dropped on the floor.
This is why there is no real risk in equipping junior units with living weapons.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Ptitboul wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:26 pm
Take one or two each defenses, resistances, and movement costs, from each parent. For the rest, take the average of the parents'. Race of mother, alignment of father. A trait from each? Abilities I have no idea. Advancement probably AMLA/HP only, or do a lot of work creating new hybrid units (brothel workers are always the same race to save effort).

Or just assume the brothel has all races and the player's character will choose their own. Of course, if they are a lich,,,

Or the offspring always come out as an Unholy Breed, like Vritra.

Just thinking out loud. It's an interesting idea.
The main problem I see is how to implement in WML a unit type that is dynamically generated from his/her parents' types.

And thank you for your savegame. It is quite different from the way I played my campaign, it is nice to see different results.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Looking for more: the objectives say there's an early finish bonus, but it is 0 per turn.

The risk of a junior unit dying and dropping a weapon is that an ally will pick it up. Can't happen if it's in the backpack.

A dynamically generated unit TYPE may be difficult, but a fixed type unit with dynamically generated attributes (chosen/combined from the parents) should be easy enough (for one who is willing to learn WML).
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm Looking for more: the objectives say there's an early finish bonus, but it is 0 per turn.
Indeed. I will correct that.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm The risk of a junior unit dying and dropping a weapon is that an ally will pick it up. Can't happen if it's in the backpack.
I have not found it to be a problem, allies die too...
Anyway, if it is in the backpack, it is more useless than if an ally has it.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm A dynamically generated unit TYPE may be difficult, but a fixed type unit with dynamically generated attributes (chosen/combined from the parents) should be easy enough (for one who is willing to learn WML).
I agree. With the additional difficulty that I want it to work on 1.12, 1.14 and 1.16.