Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skeptical_troll

Re: Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.14]

Post by skeptical_troll »

IIIO_METAL wrote: October 30th, 2021, 2:24 am Then I have one suggestion.
Ah, well spotted! Thanks for the suggestion, actually I decided to remove the version number altogether and leave only the translatable part (before the "+" in your message). I don't think it was adding anything useful there in the main description.

I used the last version of the translation you posted and already re-uploaded the campaign with it. Hopefully everything will be in order, but let me know if you see something is not working as it should.

Again, big thanks for your work in translating this! :)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I'm glad it was useful.
I tried the re-uploaded version. The translation is reflected normally.

See ya!
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi!

I'm playing version 1.1.11 with BfW 1.16.1, difficult normal.

I arrived at scenario 13 Iron and Mud (even if the cfg file it's named dethroned king) and tunnels don't work :augh:
Only the unit with the key can enter into the prisons and noone can exit; it's the same for the rebels' hiding place (key apart).

Mandi!
skeptical_troll

Argesilao2 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 5:27 pm I arrived at scenario 13 Iron and Mud (even if the cfg file it's named dethroned king) and tunnels don't work
Unless there is a bug I cannot reproduce, I think it's just a bit confusing to the player, you're actually not the first one having this problem. Point is, the tunnels work automatically (with a teleport) only the first time, when the new area is discovered. After that, they work as normally tunnels do in Wesnoth, namely the player has to click on some hex on the other side, and it won't be able to do so if the other end is blocked by an enemy unit.

I considered making it automatic every time, but then there may be cases in which the player only wanted to occupy the hex with a unit without passing the tunnel. Perhaps I could add a warning somewhere? :hmm:

Mandi!
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

skeptical_troll wrote: December 1st, 2021, 10:36 pm Perhaps I could add a warning somewhere? :hmm:
A warning isn't necessary, but it might be helpful; the first entry takes place automatically, and can leads the player to think that the passage in and out of the prisons takes place in the same way also afterwards.

Well, to say the truth, I also checked the code and I saw that the tunnels were activated AFTER the first entry and not BEFORE, so, in hindsight, I should have figured it out on my own how things works :oops:

Thank you and mandi!
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi! This is my last feedback about this campaign.

Always played version 1.1.11 in normal difficult

Scenario 16: the objective is deceptive; the condition to win "Explore the forest and look for help." it's totally false, because the only way to win the scenarios is to defeat the enemy leaders; "explore the forest" it is a tips, not a winning condition; however it's a tip of dubious usefulness because it involves the use of some resources, and a lot of time, to obtain triflings advantages (in my opinion, of course).

Scenario 17: In some situations the falcon speaks. It's a falcon, not a parrot :lol:
100 gold pieces against how many enemies? Sorry, too difficult for me, and I faced the ogres only. :|

About the campaign: it's great (at least for what I played of it), there a lot of original ideas and for sure there is a lot of work behind every scenario, and the dialogues between Bragor and Begol are a real touch of class :eng: , but I advise you to point out that this is a very difficult campaign or, in alternative, to check the balance of many scenarios.

Mandi
skeptical_troll

Hi!
Argesilao2 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:36 am Scenario 16: the objective is deceptive; the condition to win "Explore the forest and look for help." it's totally false, because the only way to win the scenarios is to defeat the enemy leaders; "explore the forest" it is a tips, not a winning condition; however it's a tip of dubious usefulness because it involves the use of some resources, and a lot of time, to obtain triflings advantages (in my opinion, of course).
Right, I just realized I've put an "(optional)" beside that objective, but not in every case. I included it everywhere now, so hopefully now it will be less confusing.
Argesilao2 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:36 am Scenario 17: In some situations the falcon speaks. It's a falcon, not a parrot
100 gold pieces against how many enemies? Sorry, too difficult for me, and I faced the ogres only.
That damn falcon, always flying out of my filters :doh: There are cases in which I forgot to exclude it from the potential speakers, hopefully not it is fixed for that scenario. Regarding the gold, I see I left it to gold=100 for all difficulty levels, which let me think that I've never really balanced it. For what I remember, I think that the main reason is that I've always reached that scenario with loads of gold, carried from the forest scenario. That's why I removed the carryover to the scenario after that, to make it easier to balance. However, I imagine that playing the forest scenario with previous knowledge (which is unavoidable for the author) makes it much easier, so I increased the initial gold and make it difficulty dependent (180 160 140), hopefully it will be enough.
Argesilao2 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:36 am I advise you to point out that this is a very difficult campaign or, in alternative, to check the balance of many scenarios.
Feel free to comment about which scenarios felt too hard or too easy. I know that the centipedes one is a nightmare, like probably those against the elvish-wesnoth alliance. I'm admittedly guilty of getting attached to them being hard and posing a challenge to expert players, it's one of the things people seem to remember of this campaign. :) One idea I had was to change the campaign from 3 to 4 difficulty level, with the current hard one being 'nightmare', but that's work. In alternative, I could rename the current difficulty levels from easy/normal/difficult to normal/difficult/nightmare :hmm: For the moment, I just added a warning in the add-on description that the campaign is "expert level".

Thanks again for your feedback, and mandi!! :)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

skeptical_troll wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:46 pm I could rename the current difficulty levels from easy/normal/difficult to normal/difficult/nightmare :hmm:
Well, in my opinion this is the right think to do; the difficult of the whole campaign is, more or less, comparable with the difficult of the mainline campaign Son of Black Eye (perhaps a bit more, at least in the intermediate difficult level of both campaigns) :hmm:
Like difficult difficulty :doh: the ex-normal it's quite right (17 a part)
Spoiler:
Finally a little question: the duets between Bragor and Begol are inspired by:
a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead
b) Sin City's two talkative henchmen
c) Mr. Trout and Mr. Pickles of Boxtrolls
d) ???

Mandi!
skeptical_troll

Argesilao2 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 10:14 pm Finally a little question: the duets between Bragor and Begol are inspired by
I can't really remember if I was inspired by some specific pair of characters, I probably thought that it was fitting for them to talk like that, since they weren't warriors and could be a bit more relaxed about... everything. I probably had in mind a few examples like those you listed, and mixed them together. They seem to be by far the most popular characters of the campaign. :lol:
Zet

Post by Zet »

Hi skeptical_troll,

Thanks for the great campaign.

I have advanced quite nicely, normal level of difficulty.
However, in the scenario "A score to settle" I did explore, all parts, but nothing happens. I expected the dwarf king would start to act--but nothing happens.He remains passive.

I wonder whether I miss something or the new Wesnoth version created a bug in this scenario which deactivated some process/dialogue which should have happened?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best,
Zet
skeptical_troll

Hi Zet,

thanks for the bug report, I think that indeed something was broken while porting the campaign to the new wesnoth version. I uploaded a fix in the latest version, can you check if with the latest version the problem persists? In principle there's almost nothing to do in that scenario, only a dialog should trigger.

Thanks!
Zet

Post by Zet »

Thanks for the fast response.
Unfortunately, still the same. The dialogue is still not triggered.
skeptical_troll

weird, not even when you move some unit close to the King? Is the dwarf under shroud at the beginning of the level now (as expected)? If you have the savefile of the beginning of the level, I could try to look into it.
Zet

Post by Zet »

Unfortunately, no. I tried to bring several units next to the king. Nothing.
Tried it again. Khafir directly next to the king. Nothing.

Additional info:
Version 1.16.1
I started from the beginning of the scenario and, to give it a try, also from the (saved) end of the previous scenario.
Zet

Post by Zet »

The new update solved the problem. Thanks! Great campaign!