The Beautiful Child

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: The Beautiful Child

Post by vghetto »

Hi,

This campaign didn't load for me.

Code: Select all

error preprocessor: Macro/file 'NEUTRAL_SIDE' is missing
at ~add-ons/The_Beautiful_Child/scenarios/Faithdome.cfg:1824
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

vghetto wrote: December 28th, 2019, 6:44 pm Hi,

This campaign didn't load for me.

Code: Select all

error preprocessor: Macro/file 'NEUTRAL_SIDE' is missing
at ~add-ons/The_Beautiful_Child/scenarios/Faithdome.cfg:1824
It doesn't happen for me, but some LotI updates tend to break this. Maybe I forgot to update the server version at some point. The latest version on the 1.14 server should be as up to date as possible.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:23 am 1. I wanted to play the entire campaign with few units only. I didn't recruit at all, and always had from two to five units. That's why I used debug mode to make my heroes more powerful. Unfortunately it was slow to get items. Could you add a cheat option to get random items? Or maybe even more cheat options?
Done.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:23 am 2. I really liked the dialogue.
Thanks.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:23 am 3. I suggest some new weapon specials: toxic 2, toxic 4, toxic 8 etc. Toxic does damage like poison but is only cured when the unit is at full HP. If a unit is hit with different strengths of toxic, the strongest one stays.
The damage of poison is a global setting. Maybe I will find a way to do such a thing without too much complication.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:23 am If it wasn't clear, my suggestions apply to Affably Evil and LotI as well.
The Beautiful Child, Affably Evil and Kill the King use Legend of the Invincibles, so I can't really do these changes individually in TBC and not in the others.
Fibon_44

Post by Fibon_44 »

Hello!

I have a bug in the scenario "Coming of the Tide" that causes the game to crash.
It happens in the 3rd round as soon as Konrad II goes south from his keep. Also not sure why he's moving off at all.

I found a workaround by blocking the northern keeps so Konrad doesn't move on. But then I have to keep it blocked, or the crash will happen.
Attachments
TBC-Coming_of_the_Tide_Runde_4a.gz
Savefile 2: Workaround, game crashes after I leave Konrads keep
(510.92 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
TBC-Coming_of_the_Tide_Runde_3.gz
Savefile 1: Game crashes during AI turn
(498.87 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

I just started the campaign, and I have to say the script is great. I think an editor could help you make it easier to read and make it flow more easily, but I'm loving it.
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

In scenario 3, I get an error code
Spoiler:
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fibon_44 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:32 am Hello!

I have a bug in the scenario "Coming of the Tide" that causes the game to crash.
It happens in the 3rd round as soon as Konrad II goes south from his keep. Also not sure why he's moving off at all.

I found a workaround by blocking the northern keeps so Konrad doesn't move on. But then I have to keep it blocked, or the crash will happen.
This seems to be a wesnoth 1.12 only problem. I tried it on 1.14 and there were no issues.
TorMac wrote: February 27th, 2020, 5:34 am I just started the campaign, and I have to say the script is great. I think an editor could help you make it easier to read and make it flow more easily, but I'm loving it.
My prose is always quite rough to read. I sometimes work on it, but this one is difficult to improve. An editor could help, but there are few volunteers.
TorMac wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm In scenario 3, I get an error code
Spoiler:
I fixed it. The fix will be included in the next update.
merithsage997

Post by merithsage997 »

I don't know if this is a bug right now, or it's just me.

When I arrived at Burke's castle, for the first time, this below happens:

Burke's guards are my allies, and ... the poor merchant and merc are now the enemies? Is this normal, or did I screw up somewhere?

I'll attach my save file after this, but I don't think the merchants are supposed to die before I reach the castle... I'm also on the hardest mode, so is this a challenge to save them before the guards kill them?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 5.11.13 PM.png
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi! This is a fun campaign, i'm enjoying it a lot.
I noticed that in some scenarios messages appear in the prestart event, like in Punisher and Burkes_Retribution. While technically not a bug, the effect looks broken. When I first saw it, I thought wesnoth was about to crash on me :)
It's up to you, but it might look better if those message were moved to the start event or placed in [story]
Spoiler:
Thanks!

Edit: Hi again, I'm not sure if this is Beautiful Child or Legend of the Invincibles issue, but I noticed that in the Punisher scenario, the recruited Peasant units don't have an animation for their pitchfork ranged attacks. Looking at the unit in debug mode shows that the name of the ranged attack is "pitchfork + a random number" like "pitchfork867", the number is different for every recruited peasant.
The name of the melee attack is unaltered "pitchfork" and it's animation works as normal.

I tried to hunt down the source of the bug in BC and LotI but couldn't find it.

Thanks again.
Dugi wrote:
edwardspec wrote:
quote for notification.

Edit2: possibly make_attacks_unique in LotI lua/stats.lua is the cause, it might need to factor in the range and type in deciding uniqueness.

Edit3: I don't think I got the notification right the previous time, so take 2. hopefully i'm not failing ... again :)
Sorry, if the notification worked the first time guys!
Dugi wrote: March 6th, 2020, 6:00 pm
edwardspec wrote: May 31st, 2020, 2:09 am
Quote for notification.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Yeah, a bug in Goonville, before Burke's Castle, guards are allies, merchants are enemies. When I was buying items, merchants attacked me. I had to kill them all.

I played this campaign some time before and don't remember this bug
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
celendais

Post by celendais »

Same problem in Goonville. 1.147 I got to shop maybe 2-3 items before the merchants are killed by my allies. Would it have to do with "side=1" in the cfg file??
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

merithsage997 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:13 pm Burke's guards are my allies, and ... the poor merchant and merc are now the enemies? Is this normal, or did I screw up somewhere?
No, it was a bug, the code for making a side neutral changed and I have not correctly updated the code in that scenario.
vghetto wrote: June 17th, 2020, 7:16 pm I noticed that in some scenarios messages appear in the prestart event, like in Punisher and Burkes_Retribution. While technically not a bug, the effect looks broken. When I first saw it, I thought wesnoth was about to crash on me :)
It's up to you, but it might look better if those message were moved to the start event or placed in [story]
I thought that using a [story] would not fit a single message announcement quite well. Do you want me to change it?
merithsage997 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:13 pm Edit: Hi again, I'm not sure if this is Beautiful Child or Legend of the Invincibles issue, but I noticed that in the Punisher scenario, the recruited Peasant units don't have an animation for their pitchfork ranged attacks. Looking at the unit in debug mode shows that the name of the ranged attack is "pitchfork + a random number" like "pitchfork867", the number is different for every recruited peasant.
Yes, this is a Legend of the Invincibles bug. I have commented out the offending line. It might cause problems with disabling retaliation attacks, but only in some corner cases where it's not important. The game simply cannot run well with renaming attacks.
merithsage997 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:13 pm Edit3: I don't think I got the notification right the previous time, so take 2. hopefully i'm not failing ... again :)
I did receive the notification, but I wasn't reading the forums because I was working on another project.

Post by dabber »

I think I last tried this campaign right after you created it, and I haven't gone back since. I finally did and I like it a little too much (ask my wife).

I found the beginning too hard. After dying repeatedly in the first couple scenarios, I hacked a save file to give myself some armour, and then I could progress.

I believe I found a bug in scenario Faithdome: a comma instead of a dash. Line 412, part of the "quests.faithdome_southern_guards" event. It says:
x,y=1-21,9,24
but I think it should say
x,y=1-21,9-24
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I've created https://wiki.wesnoth.org/TBC_Walkthrough

crooked ravine: +10 gold every time you start (this happens on a lot of scenarios). If you run away and come back, the same dialog is played every time the BoL show up. If Innyll (white mage) joins you and you leave and come back, there's another copy of her on the enemy side, which leads to an odd conversation when you kill her again.

Is my main character really supposed to have two legacies? I chose Lieutenant and Free, but I've taken AMLAs from Free and Fire Dragon.

In the final scenario, one of the bosses had a name like Dave the Red nickname_Destroyer. dwarftough said this was fixed over on the LotI forum.

1.14.15/1.0.1f/3.2.7
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:11 pm In the final scenario, one of the bosses had a name like Dave the Red nickname_Destroyer. dwarftough said this was fixed over on the LotI forum.

1.14.15/1.0.1f/3.2.7
Alas, the fix went into the beta for 1.15/1.16, the latest release for 1.14 is stuck with this bug. We have to live with it on 1.14 now. Hopefully it's not game breaking
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:11 pm Is my main character really supposed to have two legacies? I chose Lieutenant and Free, but I've taken AMLAs from Free and Fire Dragon.
It probably wasn't intentional, but this flaw is present in any campaign with legacy choosing. I believe you may find it in "Affably Evil" as well if you try it
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dwarftough wrote: December 1st, 2021, 1:25 am
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:11 pm Is my main character really supposed to have two legacies? I chose Lieutenant and Free, but I've taken AMLAs from Free and Fire Dragon.
It probably wasn't intentional, but this flaw is present in any campaign with legacy choosing. I believe you may find it in "Affably Evil" as well if you try it
FWIW, in AE I only got the one I chose. I glanced at the legacy choice in AE and TBC, and while I refuse to learn wml they look pretty different to me. While I don't understand the data structures, AE looks sensible, while TBC just looks wrong (it looks like it's replacing the last item in an array -- assuming it'll be the last one! -- with the new legacy, then replacing it again with something else, but I can't see how that would cause two legacies, if anything I'd expect none).