Please teach me on how to make custom sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Angelonius

Please teach me on how to make custom sprites

Post by Angelonius »

I'm working on an add-on and I need to know how I can edit the Horseman unit tree so that the units have sword-wielding sprites. So, how can I do this?
Attachments
Here's an example, so I don't know how can I make it work.
Here's an example, so I don't know how can I make it work.
5_6102502079203377868.png (4.17 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Heindal

Re: Please teach me on how to make custom sprites

Post by Heindal »

The question is, what do you want to do?

Do you want to create idle images or attack images or just change the existing sprite with new swords and weaponry?

I assume that you just want to add new fancy swords to your knight. This can be done with different layers.
You need at two layers, one where your knight has no weapon at all and one with the weapon.

You could theoretically have several layers each for another weapon. In 'Gimp' or 'Photoshop' you can even make layers invisible and theoretically export different versions of your unit by just activating or deactivating your layers. Without using a software like gimp or photoshop, you could use a simple drawing software such as ms-paint and draw it there. That's pretty hard, but you don't need an additional software for it and some people even create art with ms-paint.

Where do you get sprites for the swords and weapons? You could either cut out the swords from existing units (just be sure to use a copy of that unit and do not change the original in the images folder) or you could use the legendary frankenpack created by Redeth viewtopic.php?p=359071#p359071.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Angelonius

Re: Please teach me on how to make custom sprites

Post by Angelonius »

Heindal wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:15 pm The question is, what do you want to do?

Do you want to create idle images or attack images or just change the existing sprite with new swords and weaponry?

I assume that you just want to add new fancy swords to your knight. This can be done with different layers.
You need at two layers, one where your knight has no weapon at all and one with the weapon.

You could theoretically have several layers each for another weapon. In 'Gimp' or 'Photoshop' you can even make layers invisible and theoretically export different versions of your unit by just activating or deactivating your layers. Without using a software like gimp or photoshop, you could use a simple drawing software such as ms-paint and draw it there. That's pretty hard, but you don't need an additional software for it and some people even create art with ms-paint.

Where do you get sprites for the swords and weapons? You could either cut out the swords from existing units (just be sure to use a copy of that unit and do not change the original in the images folder) or you could use the legendary frankenpack created by Redeth viewtopic.php?p=359071#p359071.
I want to change the existing sprites with different weapons and armors. Problem is, I don't know what colors work with silver.