Is there any way to increase the display resolution of the avatar picture?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

herolulu

Post by herolulu »

For example, the resolution of 600X600?
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Is there any way to increase the display resolution of the avatar picture?

Post by beetlenaut »

If you mean you want to increase the display size of the portraits, then yes. Kind of. The images are all displayed by the game at their full size. If you make that size larger with an image editing program, they will be displayed larger. You should research programs for your system that let you "batch process" a large number of images at once. That way you could change all the portraits in the game's data folders quickly, and easily do it again when you download a new version.

If you do make a batch-processing script to do this, you should post it. There are probably other people with high-resolution monitors who would like to see the portraits larger.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
herolulu

Post by herolulu »

beetlenaut wrote: November 20th, 2021, 7:23 pm If you mean you want to increase the display size of the portraits, then yes. Kind of. The images are all displayed by the game at their full size. If you make that size larger with an image editing program, they will be displayed larger. You should research programs for your system that let you "batch process" a large number of images at once. That way you could change all the portraits in the game's data folders quickly, and easily do it again when you download a new version.

If you do make a batch-processing script to do this, you should post it. There are probably other people with high-resolution monitors who would like to see the portraits larger.
Oh, I mean the resolution of portraits displayed in the game. Because no matter how high the resolution of the portrait I prepared myself, the portrait resolution in the character interface can only display 400X400

:shock:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

"Character interface?" Are you maybe talking about the help screen? On that screen, there is not much room, so the portraits are scaled down to fit. That could only be changed by modifying the game code. I had assumed you meant in messages before.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What you can do is specify a small_profile, then crop the image to something that you like better. Example (possibly a bit dated) from the wiki:

Code: Select all

small_profile="portraits/elves/transparent/marksman+female.png~CROP(0,20,380,380)~SCALE(205,205)"
profile="portraits/elves/transparent/marksman+female.png"
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

That code is for 1.12, where the size was 205x205. It was a useful piece of code back then. If you use it nowadays, the picture will be upscaled again (after having being downscaled to 205x205).

As for today:
Picture in the help tries to be 400px for width or height. It scales the picture accordingly (up or down) until one side is 400px. If the Wesnoth window is small, it's not 400px but 300px.

You cannot get pictures bigger than 400x400, but with code similar to the above above you can cheat your way around and have something like 400x100 … which allows part of the picture area to be used to display text instead. I add that sometimes to the pictures you draw.

Off Topic wrote: "Character interface?"
I read this synonym to character device ^^ Needed to read the rest of the thread to find the connection :-p
Try out the dark board theme.
herolulu

Post by herolulu »

beetlenaut wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:57 am "Character interface?" Are you maybe talking about the help screen? On that screen, there is not much room, so the portraits are scaled down to fit. That could only be changed by modifying the game code. I had assumed you meant in messages before.
Do I need to modify the program file so that I can increase the resolution of the portrait displayed in the character information? It's a pity. I am not a programmer and will not modify it. XD