Imperial Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Imperial Era

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I haven't implemented that change for the Arendians just becuase I think the faction is more interesting without a dedicated swimmer, but if you want to play with them like that, go right ahead. :)
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 5:10 am I haven't implemented that change for the Arendians just becuase I think the faction is more interesting without a dedicated swimmer, but if you want to play with them like that, go right ahead. :)
That's the great thing about open source. And I've certainly provided enough variations on the theme!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote: August 25th, 2021, 5:30 pm
UnwiseOwl wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 5:10 am I haven't implemented that change for the Arendians just becuase I think the faction is more interesting without a dedicated swimmer, but if you want to play with them like that, go right ahead. :)
That's the great thing about open source. And I've certainly provided enough variations on the theme!
I take it back. Here is a radically different idea for an Arendian water unit--a poisonous giant salamander.
Septimander files.zip
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm taking a bit of a break from my quest for a new Arendian unit, though I do have another idea. In the meantime, here are some files adding Vampire Bats to the Cavernei. Dwarves live in caves, bats live in caves. Why not?
Attachments
Cavernei with Bats.zip
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Danwar

Post by Danwar »

If I may suggest, perhaps the Lavinian Decurion->Centurion line could be reworked a bit? The Decurion should just have the crest, then the Centurion should get golden armor and have a Decanus sprite, and finally there should be a Level Four promotion like with the basegame's loyalists, called a Legatus with the same visual as the current Centurion who can himself command a full legion. I doubt the Emperor command every legion personally, after all, and it makes little sense for what is essentially a sergeant to get gold-plated armor; plus, it adds a nice parallel to the Loyalists' Grand Marshal from the base game, and give the Lavinians a little compensation for not having non-Lavinian leadership boni. (Also, it seems like even the Lavinian leadership isn't actually working atm...)

Also, the Arendian Soldiers are a bit much when it comes to Blade and Pierce resistance: Maybe knock it down to 30% each or something, so that while they're still able to stand up to Lavinians individually they don't out-armor a unit of three of them in formation.

Other than that, though, this is a fascinating and cool era!
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Thanks Danwar, I appreciate your kind words and your suggestions. I'll have a proper look at them next time I'm doing a balance patch, the Arendians and Issalefr in particular are sorely in need of some attention.

Can you tell me more about the issues with the Lavinian leadership ability? Wesnoth and IE version and the scenario and situation that you noticed the problem? I'm pretty sure that it's been working for me on the current version.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Danwar

Post by Danwar »

Playing on the latest version of Wesnoth with the Imperial Era (installed off the Wesnoth add-ons manager) alone both in a custom randomized campaign and several 1v1 maps, including both random and standard ones (Aethermaw for example), I will move up a legionary or a small squad of them with my Decurion leader immediately adjacent to them and attack an enemy, and it will deal normal damage. I even did a test involving attacking an enemy normally with a Legionary at dawn before moving the Decanus up with him at dusk, and it dealt the same damage.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Thanks for that. I'll investigate and see if I can't fix that.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I had another idea for a new Arendian unit. First, the motive for all these new unit proposals is that having the horses swim in deep water seems like a bit too much of a stretch to me, so I'd like to find a viable alternative.

Anyway, this new unit idea goes back to the Arendians being based on the Celts and draws on Irish lore. You see, Irish folktales speak of a Zombie or Ghoul known as the Fear Gorta. It is apparently the remains of someone who starved to death. It is constantly hungry and begs by the side of the road. If you feed it, it will give you a blessing, but if you refuse to feed it, it will curse you. Flavor text could explain that the Druids have figured out how to win them over to their side. The unit tree could be something like this:

Code: Select all

Hungry Corpse (lvl 0) -> Fear Gorta (lvl 1)
They could use either the mainline Walking Corpse and Soulless graphics or new graphics. They would have the Undead trait and the Feeding ability. The Hungry Corpse and Fear Gorta would have a fist attack (impact melee plague), like their mainstream counterparts. However, the Fear Gorta would also gain a curse attack (cold ranged slow). Finally, like their mainstream counterparts, they would be capable of moving in deep water.

What does everyone think?
Danwar

Post by Danwar »

I'm not an expert, but adding both plague and slow to a level 1 unit might not be the best idea. Aside from that, though, that could be a cool idea...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Danwar wrote: November 10th, 2021, 12:00 pm I'm not an expert, but adding both plague and slow to a level 1 unit might not be the best idea. Aside from that, though, that could be a cool idea...
True. They don't really need plague. The curse (slow) attack is closer to the original Irish lore. Thanks for the feedback!
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

The wiki also recommends only one special/attack. Of course rules are meant to be bent... : ) Not to mention I've seen many addons where attacks have 2 or even 3(!!!) specials and they're just fine.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

And here it is! The Arendian Zombie! Or more specifically, the Hungry Corpse / Fear Gorta!
Attachments
Arendian Zombie.zip
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Atreides wrote: November 10th, 2021, 6:25 pm The wiki also recommends only one special/attack. Of course rules are meant to be bent... : ) Not to mention I've seen many addons where attacks have 2 or even 3(!!!) specials and they're just fine.
So we should make mainline get rid of orc assassin.

I removed that part from wiki.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I originally made the Septimander as an optional new unit for the Arendians, but it might also be a good fit with the Cavernei. Personally, I think I prefer Cavernei with bats, but if someone is interested, I could make some files giving the Cavernei Septimanders.