Mod : Advance Wesnoth Wars

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ruvaak

Re: Mod : Advance Wesnoth Wars

Post by Ruvaak »

Hello everybody,

Thanks for your interest ! Unfortunately, I do not plan to maintain this mod. If anyone wants to take care of it, I can do the handover so that they have access to mod re-upload on the server.

Ideally someone with experience in modding or development. Some parts are done in LUA, others in WML (Wesnoth Markup Language). The up-to-date code is available there : https://github.com/tbondois/Advance_Wesnoth_Wars

If there is a volunteer, please come forward!
Last edited by Ruvaak on October 28th, 2021, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Advance Wesnoth Wars mod
foiledthrice

Post by foiledthrice »

Ah darn, I was just coming to see if this was going to be updated, I just happened to get back into the game as 1.16 dropped and I struggle mightily now to play without no random combat. I have a vague memory of seeing a mod that was just the no random combat and none of the other features, though I don't remember what it was called exactly or who maintained it. Does anyone know if that will get ported to 1.16 soon?
Ruvaak

Post by Ruvaak »

foiledthrice wrote: October 27th, 2021, 12:06 am Ah darn, I was just coming to see if this was going to be updated, I just happened to get back into the game as 1.16 dropped and I struggle mightily now to play without no random combat. I have a vague memory of seeing a mod that was just the no random combat and none of the other features, though I don't remember what it was called exactly or who maintained it. Does anyone know if that will get ported to 1.16 soon?
Hi,

For the no-randomness, I based myself on a previous mod (No Randomness Mod, if I remember well), and I enhanced it a lot (adding also others features on the way). At the moment i created the mod, it was by far the most advanced for this feature, maybe things changed since that.

BTW, there is now a native option in the game menu to reduce randomness. It was in beta on 1.14, and I think you had to enable the map seed to have it working. Did you tried it ?
Salutations

Post by Salutations »

Salutations, I’m liking le add on so far, but there’s a thingy at the top that says what the things I chose and it’s blocking my vision, also at one point some kind of error thing occurred and it covered most of it, though it went away after reloading, any way to remove it?
foiledthrice

Post by foiledthrice »

Ruvaak wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:59 pm
foiledthrice wrote: October 27th, 2021, 12:06 am Ah darn, I was just coming to see if this was going to be updated, I just happened to get back into the game as 1.16 dropped and I struggle mightily now to play without no random combat. I have a vague memory of seeing a mod that was just the no random combat and none of the other features, though I don't remember what it was called exactly or who maintained it. Does anyone know if that will get ported to 1.16 soon?
Hi,

For the no-randomness, I based myself on a previous mod (No Randomness Mod, if I remember well), and I enhanced it a lot (adding also others features on the way). At the moment i created the mod, it was by far the most advanced for this feature, maybe things changed since that.

BTW, there is now a native option in the game menu to reduce randomness. It was in beta on 1.14, and I think you had to enable the map seed to have it working. Did you tried it ?
Oh yeah, I did see the new Biased RNG option, might have to try that out, I should reduce my dependence on no randomness anyway lol. Thanks!
EyderSnob

Post by EyderSnob »

Ruvaak wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:34 pm Hello everybody,

Thanks for your interest ! Unfortunately, I do not plan to maintain this mod. If anyone wants to take care of it, I can do the handover so that they have access to mod re-upload on the server.

Ideally someone with experience in modding or development. Some parts are done in LUA, others in WML (Wesnoth Markup Language). The up-to-date code is available there : https://github.com/tbondois/Advance_Wesnoth_Wars

If there is a volunteer, please come forward!
Hey there Ruvaak,

so I was wondering if there is anything known to be broken as of now? I am using your latest release from the 1.14 add-on server, just copied it to 1.16. Two of my mates aswell. So far we didn't run into any problems and everything runs fine. We played MP Scenarios and didn't use the mod on any campaigns yet, but we happend to wonder if there is a special bug or reason why this same release isn't up on 1.16?

Sadly i am far off from beeing competent enough to either actively work on or maintain the mod with troubleshooting, but If nothing seems broken i would volunteer to reupload it under whatever terms you would like to see. Last but not least, thanks for the great mod!
Ruvaak

Post by Ruvaak »

EyderSnob wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 7:35 pm Hey there Ruvaak,

so I was wondering if there is anything known to be broken as of now? I am using your latest release from the 1.14 add-on server, just copied it to 1.16. Two of my mates aswell. So far we didn't run into any problems and everything runs fine. We played MP Scenarios and didn't use the mod on any campaigns yet, but we happend to wonder if there is a special bug or reason why this same release isn't up on 1.16?

Sadly i am far off from beeing competent enough to either actively work on or maintain the mod with troubleshooting, but If nothing seems broken i would volunteer to reupload it under whatever terms you would like to see. Last but not least, thanks for the great mod!
Hi EyderSnob,

Thanks for your interest !

Nope, at my knowledge nothing is broken. Apparently, for a reason I don't know (maybe Breaking-Compatibiity changes ?), plugins some a version 1.X to 1.(X+1) have to be re-uploaded. I'm lacking of time right now, i'm not playing wesnoth anymore neither any videogame myself since a while now, maybe i will do it some days, but I prefer to not reupload it than to not take the time to test enough (there is lot of features and option, and several games modes) and create bugs who will make new player running away from the whole game. Then 1.18 will go on release ? same problem again, and again :)

Just beta-testing a mod is not a boring process, so i don't think that creating a beta-testers recruitment (and documentation etc) is worst it. Creating a collaborative teams who develop the mod and test each others developments ? Better option for long-term effort. Core developpers who want to inspire themselves of popular demands to make them native ? Even better ! But the amount of maintenance effort over the time will be gigantic.
sydneywesnothian

Post by sydneywesnothian »

Hello, this is a great mod and I think it makes combat much better, however, is it possible to have more rng in the damage as every attack is quite predictable and you can't rely on luck to escape death (which is a great feeling), and make some heavier units (such as cavalry, armoured heavy infantry etc) to have more damage reducer? Their low terrain dodge chance doesn't work well with this mod and they are quite easily killed off. I haven't really tested out yet but I also think that weaker units should have some other ways to compensate for their low health and guaranteed damage, perhaps adding a seperate dodge chance mechanic? Thank you.
wesnothplayer123

Post by wesnothplayer123 »

Greetings. I posted a message in the technical support section and was told to post/ask in this section.

In Wesnoth I have installed the Advanced Wesnoth Wars addon. Now my game is showing this…
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 3.20.22 PM.png
I believe the extra stuff (—>(1-4)x12) is from this addon. While I like and am glad to have the rest of the changes this Advanced Wesnoth Wars addon brings with it. I do not like this extra stuff showing in the game.

Is there a way to have the addon running and not have this extra stuff showing in the game? Still have it function correctly the way you set it up, just not showing the extra stuff?

Thank you.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

Can anyone confirm that the penetration, impact, day/night, and other attack/resistance multipliers are respected? Due to rounding, sometimes there are small excesses or defects and I don't know if it is well calculated.EDIT> WORKS. Adjusted Damage works strange and not well documented, but without this, the damage is perfect. Anyway, Biased RNG on last version is a very good alternative.
On the other hand, it seems to work fine on version 16, the most recent
EDIT: New question. Ambush attack works for AI? Can AI ambush me with an attack? I don't know if it's because they're scripted in the campaign, but the orcs don't seem to attack me in Crossroads mission from Heir to the Throne.EDIT> Works. This map have scripted ambushes.
EDIT: Epic heroes only receives +2PV extra per level until reach his AMLA, then receives +3 per level equal to any other unit. This is well balanced for me but it kept me digging through the code for a long time because it didn't seem to work right :lol:
Last edited by Toranks on November 18th, 2022, 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

I think I can continue to keep this mod as I am modifying it for personal use and have been learning a bit of WML to understand its content.
For example, I have added a message with the bonuses acquired AMLA, so that you never miss that sign that appears on the unit head only in combat on your turn and for a few seconds. The message will now appear when the character levels up, both on your turn and the opponent's, interrupting progress until you click. And also, with the portrait and name of the corresponding unit.

Player turn:
AI turn:

The plugin in general is very good as is and works perfectly except for the non-random (unbalanced) combat, but it is not necessary thanks to the new biased RNG. And I have yet to review the AI ambushes. I have also removed the +20% strikes bonus from epic heroes because it seems unbalanced to me as they are very low numbers, the difference between doing 3 or 4 hits with high damage is very big. I have also fixed the stat bonuses that were not saved between one map and another, for example the maximum movement limit, turning all the stats bonus into [object]

También lo estoy traduciendo al español.

FORKED ON GITHUB:
https://github.com/Toranks/Advance_Wesnoth_Wars
Last edited by Toranks on October 31st, 2022, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

If you use the feature:
- *NEW* Level-Up After Max Level Advancement : Increase Level Number (The unit level will continue growing with the AMLA level-ups)
I recommend editing the ability leadership in the file changing the value= and formula= lines
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wesnoth\data\core\macros\abilities.cfg

Thus, level 10 epic heroes with leadership will not add a 225% bonus to level 1 units, overly OP, Instead, the maximum level for any unit will be considered to be 5 (change this number to what you want), only those of level 4 or lower can be commanded by them. Heroes and units with 5+ level are powerful enough and do not need an additional 25%

IMPORTANT NOTE: The level number affect the cost of the unit (unless it is loyal), the points your enemies get for fighting or killing your unit, as well as leadership and inspiration. Keep this in mind when planning your strategies.

value="(25 * (min([level, 5]) - other.level))"
formula="level < min([other.level, 5])"
TESTED AND WORKS

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_LEADERSHIP
    # Canned definition of the Leadership ability to be included in an
    # [abilities] clause.
    [leadership]
        id=leadership
        value="(25 * (min([level, 5]) - other.level))"
        cumulative=no
        name= _ "leadership"
        female_name= _ "female^leadership"
        description= _ "This unit can lead other troops in battle.

All adjacent lower-level units from the same side deal 25% more damage for each difference in level."
        special_note={INTERNAL:SPECIAL_NOTES_LEADERSHIP}
        affect_self=no
        [affect_adjacent]
            [filter]
                formula="level < min([other.level, 5])"
            [/filter]
        [/affect_adjacent]
    [/leadership]
#enddef
Ability Inspiration on The Hammer of Thursagan

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_INSPIRE
    # Canned definition of the Inspire ability to be included in an
    # [abilities] clause.
    [leadership]
        id=inspire
        value="(25 * (min([level, 5]) - other.level + 1))"
        cumulative=no
        name= _ "inspire"
        female_name= _ "female^inspire"
        description= _ "This unit can inspire own units that are next to it, making them fight better. Adjacent own units of lower or equal level will deal 25% more damage plus 25% for each level they are below the inspiring unit."
        special_note=_"The presence of this unit inspires own units next to it to deal more damage in combat, though this only applies to units of lower or equal level."
        affect_self=no
        [affect_adjacent]
            [filter]
                formula="level <= min([other.level, 5])"
            [/filter]
        [/affect_adjacent]
    [/leadership]
#enddef
Last edited by Toranks on November 5th, 2022, 4:10 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ruvaak

Post by Ruvaak »

Thanks for all your interest in this mod !

BTW, since you make/plan to do significant improvements of the mod @Toranks, you are welcome to publish your own fork in the official extension manager if you wish (just maintain the original name in the title, + a prefix or suffix of your choice, so users will understand what is it about)

Have fun guys
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

I finally released a stable version that works on all the features I was interested in with no bugs.
https://github.com/Toranks/Advance_Wesn ... s/releases

Available on mod section inside the game with the name Advance Wesnoth Wars (fork) on 1.16 and 1.17

This is the changelog:
## [1.17.1] - 2022-11-8

### Changed
- Number of kills needed with Fury ability to gain Bloodthirsty now can be set on options menu. The set number is reflected in the ability description.
- Compatible and released on 1.16 and 1.17

### Fixed
- Fixed multiplayer map folder, that could not be started.
- Moving a unit that can hide now does not disables undo action.

## [1.17.0] - 2022-11-7

### Changed
- Ambush tweak behavior changed, and new method more foolproof. Now all unit can ambush normally without cooldown, but surprise attacks mantains his cooldown.
- Better descriptions on some features.
- Changed deprecated commands, tags and functions to the latest ones.
- Clearer and tidier settings menu.

### Fixed
- When a unit levels up and gains ambush ability, now can't do surprise attacks being visible. Also fixed false positive when the unit without cooldown stops an enemy in its zone of control being visible by a different enemy, who performs a surprise attack that it should not do.

## [1.16.1] - 2022-11-1

### Fixed
- When AMLA number increase feature is active the maximum level is preserved when the unit is rebuilt for any reason
- New method to increase level number, more foolproof
- Typo on mod title
- Updated and fixed some translations

## [1.16.0] - 2022-10-30

### Added
- Messages with portrait of the character that levels up and receives an AMLA bonus (english and spanish, but not french)
- Spanish translation (complete)

### Changed
- Epic trait now doesn't increases attack hits by 20%, only attack damage
- All stat bonuses now are [object] for better compatibility between maps
- AI gets 2*X (double) passive experience if you activates the feature, for balancing
- Level up increases (10*X)% (+10%, +20%, etc.) max experience (requires for next level) if you activates AMLA number increase feature, AMLA bonus, and passive experience together, in addition to the +20% increase by default, for balancing
X = passive experience value you selected

### Fixed
- Fixed some typos on the code, the included on RusackN1 fork and some others
- Max movement points bonus now preserved between maps
- When AMLA number increase feature is active the level is preserved when the unit is rebuilt for any reason (for example when a temporary [object] as bloodthirsty or potions is removed from the unit)
- Prevent Injured Sergeant to level-up by gaining passive xp (Campaigns)

#### Note:
I don't recommend to use the non-random combat feature because it doesn't detect the changes between night/day and other defenses/special bonuses well. Instead, Biased RNG from the base game is a perfect substitute.
Last edited by Toranks on November 8th, 2022, 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

I have decided to improve the surprise attack ability to benefit the AI ​​more, to prevent false positives and false negatives, and to make the behavior more realistic.
Before, with the ability activated, the units are most of the time discovered, since when making any attack (surprise or not) they acquire a cooldown, which forces a mandatory rest for the ambush. This also makes their movement more predictable for the player, as they see them move through terrains where they should be moving hidden.
Now the cooldown only applies to the surprise attack, and the default "ambush" behavior is restored 100% of the time. Ambushes can now be performed with or without surprise attack, depending on whether or not you have rested.
It will be part of the next update (although it is already available on github), but I would like to know opinions before releasing the final version, since I am testing it in a campaign to evaluate the behavior. So far I'm pretty happy with the balance, and I hardly see the elves and woses moving through the forest, as they should be, compared to the previous version.
Attachments
Sin título.png