Possible issue at UtBS: A Stirring in the Night

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
JoelPera

Possible issue at UtBS: A Stirring in the Night

Post by JoelPera »

So in my playthrough of this scenario, I managed to kill even the orc patrol. You then see a dialogue that you find a note or something having their patrol routes after their leader drops dead. My question is: I finished the next scenario Descending into Darkness, it just went on normally and I had to slay all the orcish patrols. I didn't get any acknowledgement of what I did prior. Whether it gave me an advantage or any changes in the scenario that I would normally not have gotten had I not done that, I've no idea. This felt kind of odd. Did I miss something?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Possible issue at UtBS: A Stirring in the Night

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

JoelPera wrote: October 16th, 2021, 11:20 am So in my playthrough of this scenario, I managed to kill even the orc patrol. You then see a dialogue that you find a note or something having their patrol routes after their leader drops dead. My question is: I finished the next scenario Descending into Darkness, it just went on normally and I had to slay all the orcish patrols. I didn't get any acknowledgement of what I did prior. Whether it gave me an advantage or any changes in the scenario that I would normally not have gotten had I not done that, I've no idea. This felt kind of odd. Did I miss something?
The surface portion of S4 is not shrouded if you got the patrol route map from the raiding party in S3. This is what happened when I played it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The "maybe we can sneak past them" part of the dialog after looking at the note (which I think is a map) felt kinda misleading, since there isn't really any sneaking past (the point is that you immediately know about the left cave entrance) - you're not sneaking past anyone though, you are still fighting through at least one orc leader. I kept on trying to see if there was an actual sneaking opportunity.

But yeah there is no actual bug. Perhaps, we could add dialog to the next scenario saying "oh hey all the terrain here matches the map we found from that orc leader(in the previous scenario)" to make it clearer what the actual benefit was.
JoelPera

Post by JoelPera »

Thanks, both of you for your replies. So the actual benefit I had was the lack of shroud, cool.
max_torch wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:19 pm But yeah there is no actual bug. Perhaps, we could add dialog to the next scenario saying "oh hey all the terrain here matches the map we found from that orc leader(in the previous scenario)" to make it clearer what the actual benefit was.
You just put something that I was trying to think of in my head properly in text clearly. I've raised an issue on Github citing this. See: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/6199
max_torch wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:19 pm The "maybe we can sneak past them" part of the dialog after looking at the note (which I think is a map) felt kinda misleading, since there isn't really any sneaking past (the point is that you immediately know about the left cave entrance) - you're not sneaking past anyone though, you are still fighting through at least one orc leader. I kept on trying to see if there was an actual sneaking opportunity.
I experienced this too, so I've added this to my raised issue.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I just saw this in the walkthrough:
Spoiler:
I did not realize this from the scenario dialog! Wondering if anyone else failed to clearly comprehend this?

and this:
Spoiler:
did not realize his berserk would take effect against enemy leaders!

EDIT: Just realized some of these things written in the walkthrough might be outdated ( I hope!)
JoelPera

Post by JoelPera »

Didn't know either. Only way to prove this is for someone who has an idea of version 1.16 to pitch in here.
max_torch wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:11 pm I just saw this in the walkthrough:
Spoiler:
I did not realize this from the scenario dialog! Wondering if anyone else failed to clearly comprehend this?
I don't think anyone would know this without reading a walkthrough or by playing multiple times. I could think of one NPC saying "Beware Kaleh, losing our people will cost us dearly in the long run" or something to at least hint at that.
max_torch wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:11 pm and this:
Spoiler:
did not realize his berserk would take effect against enemy leaders!

EDIT: Just realized some of these things written in the walkthrough might be outdated ( I hope!)
Ditto. Honestly, I didn't know how his berserk worked until I realised it triggered on one of the champion units. I then presumed then it was just for those two.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

@JoelPera, as the thread author, if you are around do you have any thoughts on the solution that is implemented in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/6963