Recruit vs Recall of L1 units with partial experience

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shevegen

Re: Recruit vs Recall of L1 units with partial experience

Post by shevegen »

I don't really use calculations - this style of micro-management is way too much for my brain.

But when a unit doesn't have much XP, I try to estimate how quickly it may level to the next
level still. If it only has a few XP I tend to ignore it and group it as the same as non-XP gathered
unit types.

For traits I just love the +1 movement boost. The faster-learning thingy (intelligence?) can also
be useful.
white_haired_uncle

Re: Recruit vs Recall of L1 units with partial experience

Post by white_haired_uncle »

kjn wrote: October 19th, 2021, 7:47 pm There are more factors than only XP that should go into this decision. Traits also matter. Recalling means that you are guaranteed a set of (hopefully) desirable traits. Perhaps the most important one here is the Quick one, since it is operationally useful in a set of circumstances, like to grab villages, reach or get past a choke point quickly, or be more effective as a scout in a scenario with fog of war. But this will probably only amount to a single unit or two. A guaranteed quick unit can be leveraged into more gold at the end of the scenario, or more income early in the scenario.
Quick is something that I look for, probably most of any traits, but I also discount it in some situations.

Note: I haven't tested this, what I'm going to write here is based on my assumption of how movement works.

If I have a unit with base MP=4, plus quick, but I'm going to be moving it through a lot of terrain that has movement cost of 2 or 3, I don't think quick helps. When rounding down 4/2=5/2 and 4/3=5/3. OTOH, MP=5+quick gives me an extra move on terrain that has movement cost of 2 or 3 (6/2 > 5/2, 6/3 > 5/3).