[mainline] Snow and ice as different terrain types

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Spirit_of_Currents

[mainline] Snow and ice as different terrain types

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Ice is very slippery. That's why units would generally have better movement on ice and better defence on snow.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: [mainline] Snow and ice as different terrain types

Post by beetlenaut »

This statement makes me wonder if you've ever walked on ice. You have to pick your way slowly and carefully or you end up on your bum.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

In Minecraft you can run faster on ice. In reality it's possible to move fast on ice even with ordinary shoes instead of skates.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
egallager

Post by egallager »

maybe faster movement on ice, but only in a straight line from the initial ice tile you step onto? i.e., you start sliding and then can't stop
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

If they do get split also could have snow concealment options (Addon units exist as such but they are for all frozen terrain so this adds a more realistic choice) only in snow and not on ice. Ditto for any other snow options in addons (I've seen a number) that would apply only in the snow as intended

Addons could then also start with units that have special abilities on ice only. I do not know of any but can imagine skating units or units that need ice for added damage to a "ice" attack.

Oh and as regards the debate of move speed on ice remember not all ice is smooth. Mostly in nature it tends to have a rough texture. We may be more accustomed to smooth ice from hockey rinks and when our sidewalks ice over but that would not apply to most wesnoth terrains. (I live in Canada I know a little bit about ice and snow 8-D )
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Addons already need to use terrain codes, there has not been nice way to check for "frozen".