Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: Movies discussion

Post by max_torch »

The issue now is, there are all these movie trailers with cool-looking new movies. And we can't watch any of them because the streaming services those movies launch on are not available in our location. The only way to watch those movies is to do something illegal. Legally though, there is no possible way to watch them.
RoonieW

Post by RoonieW »

I am a total romance girl and I really like old, kind of 90s movies.
New movies are cool too, don;t get me wrong, but there is something magical of how Hollywood was doing period pieces in the 90s.

For example, although the new version of Little Women with Emma Watson and Saoirse Ronan is nice, I would never change Winona Ryder as Jo March, I absolutely love that film.
I also love Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant (and honestly so MANY other wonderful actors in that film! I mean Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton... jeez and so many other amazing people!)...

So yeah, these are my kind of movies, period pieces and preferably kind of old ones already hahaha.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

RonnieW" I am a total romance girl and I really like old, kind of 90s movies.
New movies are cool too, don;t get me wrong, but there is something magical of how Hollywood was doing period pieces in the 90s. "
I have to agree, there is something in those old movies, but maybe it's the nostalgia effect.
Or it's the fact that me myself are kinda old fascioned, I think I got too much influencrd by some old movies that I used to watch years ago, some were even older than me (not black and white tough), so I tend to behave like thoose gentlemen in certain movies (not that I wear the same clothes, but I like even those), but maybe in this modern age it's considered a bit silly.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
egallager

Post by egallager »

Jefferyk2

Post by Jefferyk2 »

RoonieW wrote: February 17th, 2022, 6:57 pm I am a total romance girl and I really like old, kind of 90s movies.
New movies are cool too, don;t get me wrong, but there is something magical of how Hollywood was doing period pieces in the 90s.

For example, although the new version of Little Women with Emma Watson and Saoirse Ronan is nice, I would never change Winona Ryder as Jo March, I absolutely love that film.
I also love Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant (and honestly so MANY other wonderful actors in that film! I mean Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton... jeez and so many other amazing people!)...

So yeah, these are my kind of movies, period pieces and preferably kind of old ones already hahaha.
It's awesome that you're into romance films, especially the classic 90s ones! There's indeed something magical about how Hollywood did period pieces back then. Totally get what you mean about the charm of Winona Ryder as Jo March in "Little Women" – that movie is a gem. And "Sense and Sensibility" with the incredible cast, including Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, and more, is just timeless. Old period pieces have a unique charm, right? Any other favorites you'd recommend? 😊🎬
Tuqueakin

Post by Tuqueakin »

There's this inexplicable charm in how Hollywood crafted period pieces back then. Winona Ryder as Jo March in "Little Women" holds a special place in my heart, too; her portrayal is timeless. And "Sense and Sensibility" – oh my stars, what a cast! Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman... they brought that era to life. It's like stepping into a time machine, right? I'm curious, do you have any other hidden gems from that era? Also, if you're down for some cinematic exploration, the best movies in theaters now might offer some fresh vibes!