Hearts of the North - Campaign Cycle [1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fable_lake

Hearts of the North - Campaign Cycle [1.16]

Post by fable_lake »

Hello Everyone on the official FEEDBACK for campaign series "Hearts of the North"

On this page I will publish all the important information about the parts belonging to this cycle
You can also share your gameplay impressions here.

The campaigns shown here are the result of my hard work, and I am a one-man team, so please don't get frustrated if there are any minor flaws during the game. I myself will try to make corrections on a regular basis with your help.

All the works created by me from the very beginning were to have the greatest advantage in a history that is long and full of breathtaking stories. The gameplay in them is intended to show the depth of the plot and it is mainly provide a player a classic entertaiment that gives a lot of fun.

The Series is W.I.P - Work in Progress

Hearts of the North

It is a series that tells stories of friendship, love and union

It consists of (Arranged chronologically from the earliest events):

Hearts of the North: Oneness of our Hearts

Story takes place in the Fall of Ragged Hearts age when dwarves start their last invasion on the Lunar forest.

Living in this world full of death and despair, I was looking for a way to lead eternal existence in the oneness of our hearts, our love to last until the end of our days, but I failed by not standing by your side, so I am leaving this gift to be with you, to remember the times of our common smile, your warm touch on my cold cheek. I left you and you say nothing, but know that I always loved you even though I failed. Would life without you make sense? Would my fight make sense if it wasn't for you? My name is Amonrenl and I am not afraid of death as long as I join you afterwards ...

Times during the Fall of Ragged Hearts. The final massive dwarf invasion on Lunar forest begins ...

(5 Scenarios)

Hearts of the North: Melody of Wrath

The story takes place thousands of years after the destruction of the kingdom of Ragged Hearts. These are the times when the vast elven kingdoms begin to emerge on the Irdya.

It was a melody born of anger and despair ... It was with me from the beginning and it finally became me ...

A forgotten story, written with a trembling hand about a nightmare that happened long ago ... About a nightmare that started the great war of the elves ... This is a story erased from the memory of many, telling of a melody from years gone by ... About a melody playing in the heart of the heir of the woods of Whispers ... This is the story of Prince Lliwen.

(13 Scenarios)

Hearts of the North: The Demon of our Ourselves

The story takes place in the age of Uncertainty, it is the beginning of great changes in faraway lands, where divine deities first step into earth in ancient times.

These are not human lands ...
These are the birthlands of the ancient deities
These are the lands of our ancestors
We, the legends of distant north, were born here ...

Two twin brothers, Avalion and Borin, summoned by the king of the Brown Hills, were ordered to create colony on the far north to expand these lands, but they had no idea that their expedition would lead to the encounter of their destiny.

(19 Scenarios)

Hearts of the North: Ray Among Shadows

Story takes place in the times of the ennormous orcish civil war in the far north, where evil is commonplace beyond the borders of the Alliance, and only the strongest and most ruthless can survive.

Our beginning, present and end were doomed ... We were to be the instruments of evil and one of those who would help usher in the era of rebirth, but not for us ... We were also to disappear, there was no place for us ... Only a Ray Among the Shadows was our only hope ...

This is story of the greatest liberator of the orcs who brought peace and great changes within the north and whose decisions resulted in the survival of the free races ... This is the story of heart born on the north and its inner transformation ... This is the story of the mighty Dakran Tar, who led his people out of the shadow age and brought a new beginning.

(8 Scenarios)

Hearts of the North: Distant Memory

The story begins after the end of the great conflict known from the second part, there has been an as yet unnamed era of ennormous achievements of the united races.

... This journey will one day remain only a memory, a distant memory, which pieces will last in our souls forever ...

After the end of a long period of time known in the far north as the era of Uncertainty, it was a quiet time. After breaking the last great horde, the orcs began to slowly withdraw from their militant lifestyle, and one day, when after ennormous riots among their people, Dakran Tar seized power, the orcs made a pact with the Great Alliance led by Avalion the king of the mountains, which led to the era of peace. The lands of the north began to revive again, and the memory after the war was blurred. All races began to create a common culture, and the alliance was the greatest force gathering strength of all the most powerful beings. But even in this beautiful period of time, however, a breakthrough was to come. A new memory, a distant memory, was to arise ...

(9 Scenarios)

Feedback

Any kind of feedback is very much appreciated and I encourage anyone to share it in the comments section.
Important to me are linguistic mistakes or typos, which I will gladly correct if someone finds. English is not my native language.
And I would love to know if you enjoyed this great journey through these ancient lands!
Last edited by fable_lake on July 15th, 2022, 6:56 am, edited 160 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Hearts of the North - Campaing Series [1.14]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Woah. A sequel already? I am still playing the first one. :P
Since you have mentioned that this is a "series", how many more campaigns can we players expect to experience?
The story-telling element of your campaigns is quite strong, so looking forward to your works joining the list of playable-series-campaigns.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Okay, so...I have lost my resolve and started this.
Ah, a pure story-driven campaign. I like this.
Okay, so scenario 4 - "Hills full of Souls": None of the hero units have loyal/zero upkeep and I started with like -12 income. Is this intended?
I noticed that Distant Memories has the abbrev "DM" which is the same for Delfador's Memoirs. Might confuse players.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: I noticed that Distant Memories has the abbrev "DM" which is the same for Delfador's Memoirs. Might confuse players.
Yeah, I'd like to point that Sequel campaign will be shortened to be DisMem is my opinion. Like the Blind Sentinel from author Whitewolf is shortened to be TheBliSe...
Last edited by Major_Swampy on May 5th, 2021, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi Lord-Knightmare, Major_Swampy
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:05 pm Woah. A sequel already? I am still playing the first one.
Since you have mentioned that this is a "series", how many more campaigns can we players expect to experience?
The story-telling element of your campaigns is quite strong, so looking forward to your works joining the list of playable-series-campaigns.
Yes, a series of three main parts is planned. Maybe someday I'll also decide to create a prequel, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I hope to develop this cycle.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 3:39 pm Okay, so...I have lost my resolve and started this.
Ah, a pure story-driven campaign. I like this.
Okay, so scenario 4 - "Hills full of Souls": None of the hero units have loyal/zero upkeep and I started with like -12 income. Is this intended?
I noticed that Distant Memories has the abbrev "DM" which is the same for Delfador's Memoirs. Might confuse players.
Yes, heroic units have a upkeep, that was the initial idea. I'm not going to change that for now.
It's been a long time since I played Delfador's Memoirs so I didn't notice, I'll change it.
Major_Swampy wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:14 pm Yeah, I'd like to point that Sequel campaign will be shortened to be DisMem is my opinion. Like the Blind Sentinel from author Whitewolf is shortened to be TheBliSe...
DisMem is a nice idea, for sure this abbrev will not confuse anyone.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Hello, I have finished your campaign. Distant Memories
I cannot say anything regarding the difficulties since this is purely story driven, but I loved the story. It felt more or less like an interactive book and I love reading books.

I really appreciate this design of only allowing the player to keep a handful of units on map and not spam massive armies. Felt very RPG-ish.
The last scenario was a challenge but nothing too serious.

NOTE: if you watch the replays, have the PRNG option enabled otherwise, the replay crashes. Some bug in 1.14 or something.
DM-Dark Side of the Lake replay.gz
(26.21 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
DM-Distant Memory replay.gz
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
DM-Surrounded by Darkness replay.gz
(27.49 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
DM-Hills Full of Souls replay.gz
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Bugs:
1. The Wolf-Fighter units are all of the elven race, but have NO ranged attack. This makes it somewhat funny when they get dexterous trait. They should should not get that trait. Instead healthy can be added or fearless.

Lastly, I do hope that you make more story-focused campaigns. They are very enjoyable.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:46 pm Hello, I have finished your campaign. Distant Memories
I cannot say anything regarding the difficulties since this is purely story driven, but I loved the story. It felt more or less like an interactive book and I love reading books.

I really appreciate this design of only allowing the player to keep a handful of units on map and not spam massive armies. Felt very RPG-ish.
The last scenario was a challenge but nothing too serious.
Yes, this campaign, as you put it, is like an interactive book with rpg style, that was the intention.
It's nice that you liked the storyline, I am myself more of a storyteller and I like to create different stories.
The difficulty level of the whole campaign was not supposed to be too hard from the beginning, the point was that it would give you a feeling of the heroes journey and the size of their struggles, anyway, I do not like hard difficulty blocks in campaigns and I think that normal is the most pleasant level.

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:46 pm Bugs:
1. The Wolf-Fighter units are all of the elven race, but have NO ranged attack. This makes it somewhat funny when they get dexterous trait. They should should not get that trait. Instead healthy can be added or fearless.
Funny mistake, I forgot that the elves are the only ones with the dexterous trait, and the wolf warriors don't have a distant attack. Fearless are a good idea for them, I'll try to change that in the next update.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:46 pm Lastly, I do hope that you make more story-focused campaigns. They are very enjoyable.
Yes, from the first part, the series is the most focused on the story aspect and this is the style I intend to conduct it in the future.

Thanks for replays
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Update 05.05.2021

The update applies to Distant Memory
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:46 pm Bugs:
It is now solved, in v1.0.2 wolf warriors units will no longer get the dexterous trait they don't need, instead they will be granted the fearless trait. In addition, minor fixes were made, but the main fixes were for wolf fighters.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi!

I'm playing TDooO, version 1.15.15 with BfW 1.14.16, medium difficulty.

Scenario 12:
the elves Ilral, Celom and Anriel start the scenario at a level lower than the level they had reached in previous scenarios.
Killing a wolf, it's the first enemy killed, appeared the death dialogue of an orcish leader

Scenario 13:
Ilral, Celom, Crelanu, Anriel and Drian are still into the recall list, instead, according to the story, they would have abandoned the group in the previous scenario (if I understand the dialogues correctlyI)
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi Argesilao2
Argesilao2 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:33 pm Hi!

I'm playing TDooO, version 1.15.15 with BfW 1.14.16, medium difficulty.

Scenario 12:
the elves Ilral, Celom and Anriel start the scenario at a level lower than the level they had reached in previous scenarios.
Killing a wolf, it's the first enemy killed, appeared the death dialogue of an orcish leader

Scenario 13:
Ilral, Celom, Crelanu, Anriel and Drian are still into the recall list, instead, according to the story, they would have abandoned the group in the previous scenario (if I understand the dialogues correctlyI)

I see you are playing an older version of the campaign that has the problems you mentioned and I know perfectly well what you are talking about (The numericality of the version you are playing 1.15.15 and the one that is on server 2.0.3 is smaller, but newer because it is the version with new mechanics and changes that have changed the campaign very much) If you want to get rid of all those bugs that have long been solved in the latest version and play a refined story, I recommend start playing the latest version of the campaign 2.0.3, which is regularly improved. Examples of additional changes that have come are heroes with their own AMLA.
Sorry to not be able to help, but this version of the campaign has not been updated for a long time and the current version is version 2.0.3 on the add-ons page with all this mentioned bugs fixed.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi Argesilao2 and Everyone with similiar problem with older version, this message is to you

I can see that some players playing the older non-upgradeable version may feel cheated and not want to repeat the campaign from the very beginning, so I am uploading my game save from the beginning of the second act of the game and those who wish can complete the story from this save. This save is subject to the latest version of the campaign that is updated regularly from bugs, just uninstall the old version and install the new one from scratch and download the save that I sent by uploading it to the saves of the wesnoth.

Attachment OUTDATED

I hope this helps you a bit.
Last edited by fable_lake on June 27th, 2021, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
I moved a unit to the indicated hex. Nothing happens. And the scenario objectives do not say it has to be a specific unit. :(
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

In which Distant Memories campaign?

In that case, you need to move the main commander, Lisam, on the icon.
I will specify it in objective.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

fable_lake wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:50 am Hi Argesilao2 and Everyone with similiar problem with older version, this message is to you

I can see that some players playing the older non-upgradeable version may feel cheated and not want to repeat the campaign from the very beginning, so I am uploading my game save from the beginning of the second act of the game and those who wish can complete the story from this save. This save is subject to the latest version of the campaign that is updated regularly from bugs, just uninstall the old version and install the new one from scratch and download the save that I sent by uploading it to the saves of the wesnoth.
Thank you, but I think I'll replay the whole campaign, to see the changes.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

fable_lake wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:14 pm In which Distant Memories campaign?

In that case, you need to move the main commander, Lisam, on the icon.
I will specify it in objective.
Yeah, the DS campaign indeed, forgot that this is the overall thread. Oops.

EDIT: Have some replays.
Attachments
DisMem-Hills Full of Souls replay.gz
(22.12 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
DisMem-Dartam Stronghold replay.gz
(45.09 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
DisMem-Surrounded by Darkness replay.gz
(22.2 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
DisMem-Dark Side of the Lake replay.gz
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 115 times